eBay from another angle

Yes.

Besides this, with most of the things, I am unable to say whether it truly and completely works. Consider, for example, an oscilloscope. It has numerous functions, tolerance, limits etc. I cannot possibly test those. So I would say something like "this oscilloscope powers up, displays waveforms and all switches seem to be operational. See pictures. Sold as is but guaranteed to display something".

In case of that Suzuki motor, I could not possibly test it, so I said, "has shipping damage, see highlights on pictures, sold AS IS", and highlighted whatever damage I could find.

Absolutely, and it covers your ass better.

As a buyer, I agree.

Ignoramus30282

Mike Berger

Presumably then, he would have bad feedback from doing that sort of thing in the past. Right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sure does. I bid based on several things- what the item looks like, the seller's feedback, shipping cost, then I temper that with a fair idea of the market value of the item and I never assume I'm bidding on a creampuff. I either proxy bid or use a sniping service and I never bid up over the first bid. I don't bid on anything with fixed shipping costs (rip off), bogus handling charges (rip off), or where the seller has all sorts of rules and regulations.

I follow the rule of a man who worked in a very high-stakes buying and selling game: "If you bid on an item and win, great! If you bid on an item and lose, great! Because if you win every auction you bid on, you paid too much."

I have bid on items using the above rules and have been outbid a lot of times. Some of those auctions had winning bids above 'new retail' before adding shipping- so who was the loser? Auction _sellers_ hope for a bidding war on thier item- the bidders start bidding _against_each_other_ instead of for the item. You see this all the time at estate sales.

I'm not complaining- I've had great success with eBay. Both ways.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

AS IS means "As is" AS IS WHERE IS means "As is, where is"

If you don't specify the latter, then you don't mean the latter

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Now this has me confused... he very clearly stated that if you describe a "blue widget, as is" and you send him a "red widget" you haven't escaped your culpability for misrepresentation of the widget. So why wouldn't you want him to bid on your stuff, could you please clarify?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root