Fadal Mills for sale

A friend has two Fadal mills for sale, as he is retiring.
VMC20 and VMC 4020
Both are absolutely minty, working perfectly, clean, well maintained
Both have the FADAL CNC 88 control.
Both were new in 1985.
I have pictures if anyone is interested.
Both are located in Bakersfield California,
$20,000 for the pair, which includes a huge cabinet of tooling, and a 4th axis unit for the 4020.
Both are under power and will be available for inspection.
Drop me an email if you are interested. Ill send you pictures and contact info.
Gunner

Hey all, any opinions on whether this is a good deal? Seems like it is. What would freight/rigging be to NYC ground level, approx'ly?? Just curious, as I already took delivery, and proly couldn't fit a 4020... But maybe... ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

I guess a better question would be:
What would be the likely diffs between a 1985 fadal and a 1998 machine w/ the cnc88HS control? ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

"Proctologically Violated" wrote:

100k?

4020...
Turcite is probly worn out.
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Wouldn't they also have sloooow rapids?? 300 IPM or so?
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

is.
Dunno about that.....
Pretty sure the spindle wont have air-purge and so spindle life / condition could be an issue, depending upon what type coolant was used ( if any ) and how well it was maintained....
Then there is the issue of the older controls....some of the menus and utilities like graphics, canned subroutines like circular and rectangular pocketing, etc. that some of us might take for granted could very well not be there depending on the exact card configuration / combination that's installed on the backplane, unless it's been upgraded at some point...
And I'm thinking that with some of the earliest versions there wasn't even a 'quick keys menu' available, and so pretty much all of operator menus, data tables, etc. were only accessable via 'two letter codes' from the command line--but this is pure conjecture on my part as the oldest Fadal we have in-house has a 1400-3 CPU and so I have no experience as far as any of the earlier hard and firmware versions are concerned.
Perhaps Neal or someone else will chime in....
--
SVL

"Proctologically Violated" wrote:

PV:
    Just a couple of items, I *believe* 1985 Fadals are not completely enclosed machines, have only a 10 HP motor, and you have to manually change belts to get into the three separate speed ranges, no rigid tapping.     But it still seems like a good deal for someone just trying to get into CNC. -- BottleBob http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
For a person in Manhattan, the 4020's enclosure would be a room in a NYC apt.--mebbe the whole apt, in the more fashionable areas. W/ a shower. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

I don't remember the model numbers, there were a couple of Fadal VMC's at the WEBA auction in Nassau last year that failed to draw any bids at an absolute auction. They were in working condition, I guess moving them would have cost too much.