Filters (again)

Got my Thunderbird filters working (only passes rec.crafts.metalworking)
but unfortunately, most of the posts are still OT (and full of the
typical cretinous blather).
I fear this is hopeless - is there another metal working group (not
necessarily on Usenet) that anyone could recommend?
Laurie Forbes
Reply to
Laurie Forbes
Jim Rozen (remember him?) thinks very highly of the Practical Machinist group. I haven't talked to him in months, though, so I can't vouch for it.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Atta Girl, Laurie. Insult the group, then ask for help. Why didn't _I_ think of that?
Here, try some of the hits here:
of us frequent the CNC Zone, but your particular wants and needs will determine which group will catch -your- interest.
G'luck!
P.S: Let us know what you find out there, will ya? Danke mucho, Madamoiselle.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I read PM sometimes . Pretty good group , though they're more oriented towards production as opposed to us hobbyists . Another good one is
, or perhaps you'll like
. FWIW , I use Outlook Express . It has very good filters , if you use 'em . Thunderbird also has pretty good filters , and it "learns" your preferences by what you delete/etc . Sounds like you're just not configuring your filters properly .
Reply to
Snag
Thank you both for the suggestions.
I was hoping that filtering out all the xposted messages would take care of the problem but I see now that a lot of OT is posted only to this group. Maybe have to add filters based on subject content or poster name but that is pretty hit & miss.
One weird thing about TBird is that it will only let you delete your own posts (at least as far as I can tell).
Laurie Forbes
Reply to
Laurie Forbes
Perhaps that was a bit harsh but in any case was directed only at those who post or xpost OT content (why do they do that anyhow? - there are other much more suitable groups; the ones with "politics" in the name for example).
I appreciate the suggestions (even though I am not a girl or madam :).
Laurie Forbes
Reply to
Laurie Forbes
That's not weird. You have no right to delete someone else's messages from usenet. At one time NNTP servers allowed you to delete a post sent in error, or that was incomplete. Most NNTP servers no longer honor a cancel message (delete).
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
I took it that Laurie meant TB would not allow deletion of the local copy on your own machine. Which it won't if the message has got past filters.
Incoming messages that are filtered are effectively deleted - which is good. :)
Reply to
Dennis
On usenet it works that way , you can't delete anyone else's posts . The only way I've found to delete is to "block sender" , which then gives you the option to remove the blocked sender's posts from your machine .
Reply to
Snag
Outlook Express lets you delete others messages (on your machine) so they are no longer visible. The problem is if someone else replies to the thread it turns up in your new headers.
Reply to
Dennis
Just one more reason not to feed the trolls . Lesss than perfect , I agree , but it works well enough for me that I seldom see much crap . Feed the rolls often enough and you'll end up in my bozo bin with them ...
Reply to
Snag
Yes, that is what I was getting at - just get them off my screen.
Laurie Forbes
Reply to
Laurie Forbes
Select: 'Show unread messages'.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
I hang out at Practical Machinist as well as here on r.c.m.
It's decent, but it's still not as good as r.c.m was before the political bickering got out of hand.
RWL
Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET
That was one of the neat things about usenet, you weren't posting in someone else's forum property, you were posting in a public space. That freedom, like all freedom, fostered a great deal of interaction, and encouraged independant participation. Unfortunately, it also permitted small-minded menchildren to treat it as their little pissing ground, driving out so many of the more civilized individuals with their incessant whining and bickering.
It sure was fun while it lasted, though.
Jon
Reply to
Jon Danniken
As much as I dislike moderated newsgroups, I would join one in a heartbeat. rec.guns is moderated, and is a fine group. Someone just has to have the time to read and sort all the crap. I do not have the time. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and there would be a new untapped wealth in a newsgroup where it was limited to the subject.
I am considering starting one for postsurgical heart surgery patients. I am going to check it out, and find out what is necessary. Will even ask here.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
Damn, you're a fast learner. Welcome!
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
One moderated group I used to read had the sole moderator die. No one else had the information to moderate the group, so it took over three months to fix the problem.
At the very least you need two moderators, unless you intend to sit there 24 hours a day to control the group. A dozen would be great, but is almost impossible to get that many people to agree to the exact same standards.
I wonder if you can set one up that doesn't allow cross posted messages, and automatically posts them after filtering for a few keywords?
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Their moderator hasa very unreasonable policy of asking for "real names".
Ignoramus2004
Yes, this is how my moderation software can operate.
Ignoramus2004