FS: 1964 Machinery's Handbook

for sale:

1964 Machinery's Handbook; 17th edition in good shape showing some wear, nothing bad just one that has seen use in an office environment of an aircraft parts designer. photos available upon request.

$18.00 + actual USPS shipping charges w/ mandatory delivery confirmation & optioanal insurance; email replies, tnx in advance.

barry carson city, nv

Reply to
barry

I have a couple spares I don't need also a 16th and a 20th . ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I'll take it if not spoken for. Paypal or check?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

The older Handbooks have a lot more usable information for the rcm machinist than the newer books.

John

Reply to
john

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:43:05 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, john quickly quoth:

Right. And I only paid $4 for my 1953 edition.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lary, in what ways it is true that older editions are more valuable? Was something useful removed from later editions? I would actually like to buy a machinery handbook and would like to know a little bit more.

Ignoramus5179

I'd love one of those, preferably the 20th if you still have it. The damn dog ate mine, literally.

To bang out the details, please ping me at snarl 67 at trip dot net. Remove the spaces and change the obvious.

Thanks!

Snarl

Reply to
snarl

If that's what was removed, then yes, good riddance.

Ignoramus5179

I think all the trig table crap was removed (and good riddance).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:09:39 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus5179 quickly quoth:

Not more valuable, more informational.

Yes, that's what I've heard from the other wreck.metalheads. Google this newsgroup for "Machinery's Handbook" and you'll get the full 411 on it. I don't recall precisely what was removed.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The older ones covered more HSS tooling use as well as some machining operations that have since gone out of style in industry, like shaping and planing.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Trevor, thanks, I simply bought the latest edition. It will be my book to read when I have nothing else to read. I have a pirated CDROM and found it a great resource for looking things up in a hurry, but it is not good enough for exploration, idle reading etc.

Ignoramus32209

Did you ever try to contact me?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

IIRC my 5th edition has a bit on rail road stuff in it amongst other things that are no longer current.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I've about four or five versions, between home and work. The 26th ed. on CDROM is good, better than the 25th, anyways, as it is in PDF format so you can search and print off what you need without having to load proprietary software. I hate having to sit and read the stuff on screen, and am much happier to print out what I want and read it off paper.

I don't find them to be a "reading" kind of book. More of a reference chart of all reference charts.

I have had 17th, 20th, and 23rd editions, and now have the 23rd at home, having given away the others. I use the 25th and 26th pretty much interchangeably at work. Some of the tooling and metals lists have evolved, but the mainstay of the information has not changed since dirt was invented, so it really is not required for a hobby guy to run out and get the latest one.

The very old ones are the best for the hobbiests, as they were written about the same time as the machines most of us aspire to were the mainstay of the trade.

The sort of book that you can live without, but it is easier to have. Sacrilige, I know, but a new hobbiest would be better off with a lot of other books first, as the Machinery's Handbook is a book of charts and lists, rather than a how-to book.

I like the Machinist's Bedside Reader series for showing the new guys a whole lot of options and making them think.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Anything on making staybolts or cutting tires?

John

Reply to
John

Excellent point, Machinery's Handbook will tell you all about a stub acme thread and give you all the dimensions, but you must already know how to run a lathe and use a mike. It does give a lot of good information but you better already know how to use tools and machines.

John

Reply to
John

[ ... ]
[ ... ]

And the covering of sections on heat treating, plating, and foundations for machine tools tend to cover more of how to make special things for the task -- such as special quenching baths with air bubbles and such -- the sort of things which are assumed to be handled by purchased equipment in more recent editions, if covered at all. I've got 15th, 24th, and 25th editions to date, and am particularly glad to have the two ends of that range covered. I would be interested in having one of the older editions, such as your 5th edition.

Note that the 25 edition CD-ROM version, for all the pain of getting it to work with a Sun Solaris system instead of one of the officially supported systems, *does* have an appendix containing some of the material removed from earlier editions in making the modern editions.

Hmm ... it is probably a lot faster on my current machines than it was on the SS-5 which I had when I first set up to read it. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I saw info on the load capacity of rails which seemed a bit quaint. I'll try to look this weekend for other railroad related stuff. I wish my grandfather was still with us. He was a maintenance supervisor with the Pennsylvania Railroad he likely knew something about your question.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Talk about railroad construction, forty years ago I was charged with justifying the material billed by CPR for the relocation of ~5 miles of main line plus ~3 miles of passing track in conjunction with construction of a major water conservation/flood control reservoir. To start things off, the CPR construction inspector and I walked the project end to end while he explained railroad construction. When we got back to the office, I proceeded to figure out the material used and started to explain some of my calculations. He responded with "Gerry, don't bother, I don't have a clue what you are talking about because I left school when I turned eight years old and can't do math more than add and subtract, and don't read or write more than to sign my name." I worked with that man for about two weeks, and in the end came up with a figure within one percent of his final total. He may not have had any certificates on the wall, but he sure knew railway construction. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller