Global Warming - Lie No More - American Physical Society

In the hard sciences a theory is sufficiently "proven" if it explains all observations and experimental results and its predictions are correct. Newton's Law of Gravity is a good example even though we have to make relativistic corrections near the speed of light.

The soft sciences haven't mastered precise measurement and fall back on a faith-based consensus to establish "truth".

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:HGoXu.67625$jO2.38744 @fx06.iad:

Like having all aspects of your life controlled and regulated by the gummint? So that if you are not properly subservient that it can cut back your heat and let you freeze?

Yeah, people who can do for themselves really muck up those central planning scenarios.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Yea, and it also saves me a boat load of money.

Reply to
Scout

Didn't get the memo? You're not allowed to decide how to spend your own money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm.. Did it look like junk mail? I consider that to be free heating, so I sign up for all I can. Think about it. Free fuel sent right to your door.

Reply to
Scout

I did that for 10 years.. I built an outside wood fires boiler and then I burned my trash in it along with about 10 cord of wood every year.

It cut my LP gas bills by a bunch. I could burn anything that I could fit in the fire box that was 24 inches high by 16 inches wide by 4 feet long.

Logs, tires, trash, plastic bottles of oil or cooking grease. Old wood shipping pallets. If it burned it heated my house. I was even signing up to get more junk mail. I had pallets from the place I worked since they thew them away in the dumpster along with boxes.

I burned it all out back 60 feet from the house.

Reply to
BeamMeUpScotty

I knew some folks who had outdoor boiler, a couple decades ago. They used auto radiator and fan to release the heat into the house, under ground water lines to carry the hot water from the boiler.

Don't steel belted radials leave a lot of steel in your fire box? Were you able to get polyester tires?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many people still do. Absolutely the bomb for radiant heating, but hot water baseboards or another AC evaporator core in your central unit works just fine as well. Indeed with either radiant or baseboards you can get individual room temperature control, it's not unlimited but you generally can set it from brisk to sweltering.

With forced draft combustion the energy extraction is quite high and you can burn things most people would consider unsuitable such as pine, cedar and other softwoods. Sure, less heat per cord but much more renewable as well.

They even have corn stoves that use shelled corn in a sort of pellet stove format. Haven't seen one of those in operation, but they sound interesting. Readily accessible fuel, easily handled, stored and used with minimal muss or fuss. In an emergency, can provide a supply of food...if not particularly tasty.

Reply to
Scout

For some reason, people seem to believe that all it takes is one little bullet (okay, a not so little bullet in the case of a 50 BMG) and - ka-bloowie! Too many movies. Even shooting a tank truck full of gasoline with tracer rounds isn't going to get that to happen.

But tracer, or incendiary, or Rofus rounds into the proper fuel air mixture - that can be spectacular. Heck, put a lighter flint in the hollow of a twenty two long rifle, and strike metal ....

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Yup First couple rounds open up the tank Wait a little while,,,,preferably dumbfuck will come out to inspect the damage....

1 tracer round to light it off.
Reply to
Ray Keller

In WW1 the British found hydrogen-filled Zeppelins almost impossible to ignite with standard tracers.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Let the Record show that "Ray Keller" on or about Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:00:45 -0700 did write, type or otherwise cause to appear in talk.politics.guns the following:

OTOH "Tracer rounds work both ways"....

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

P-47s did a pretty good job of blowing things up using .50 BMG.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:lgpf0c$dii$1@dont- email.me:

That would be contrary to everything I've read so far. And it is not the conclusion of the article you reference. Over half the zeppilins were destroyed. and they stopped coming. By any measure seems pretty succesful to me.

In any case the real problem was getting to the zepps. Climb to altitude was long, performance suffered at altitude adn pilots suffered from oxygen depravation the higher they got.

Plenty of zepps and observation ballons burned under fire.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

"Any one of these bullets was only marginally effective when fired at a zeppelin, but when mixed, they formed a lethal combination. The explosive rounds blew holes in the zeppelin's gas cells, allowing the hydrogen to escape and mix with the oxygen outside, forming an explosive mixture. The incendiary bullets then ignited the mixed gases! This new "mixed ammo" sequence was to become Britain's wonder weapon against airships." jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in news:lgqmj3$21r$1@dont- email.me:

Yeah, and? If you are flying at 14,000 feet in below zero cold in a WWI era biplane that isn't flying so good due to the thin air trying to shoot down a behemoth that is shooting back at you a machine gun with a mixed load would seem to be a prerequisite.

But a 500 gallon propane tank at sea level? With a scoped .50 BMG? 1 shot to let it start leaking and a second shot to ignite it.

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes wrote in news:XnsA2FAD7F952873Wereofftoseethewizrd@78.46.70.116:

My neighbor flew P-47s in WWII (along with P-51s) and was in a "train chaser" outfit where their intended prey was hunting down German supply and troop trains and obliterating them.

Reply to
RD Sandman

Guy Fawkes wrote in news:XnsA2FAD7F952873Wereofftoseethewizrd@78.46.70.116:

# My neighbor flew P-47s in WWII (along with P-51s) and was in a "train # chaser" outfit where their intended prey was hunting down German supply # and troop trains and obliterating them.

Waaay cool. If he were my neighbor, I'd go over and personally deliver him a challenge coin.

Reply to
Wayne

"Wayne" wrote in news:lgs8iu$u1c$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

A couple of pilots in his group developed a skip bombing technique with a P-47 that enabled them to "fling" a bomb into a train tunnel and have it detonate inside.

Reply to
RD Sandman

The Pacific skip-bombers used time-delay fuses to let them get slightly past the side of the target ship before the bomb, still moving at nearly their speed, could explode under them. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins