Gun blue composition

Birchwood Casey seem to have changed the compositon of their Super Blue Liquid Gun Blue. I have recently bought the bottled version and the paste version. Both are labelled as containing Selenium dioxide. The paste version works really nicely on steel (in fact I think the coverage is less patchy) but will not touch brass (as indeed the label now clearly states).

10 years ago (I still got the bottle to prove it) the liquid version contained "nitric, phosphoric and selenious acid" and blackened brass really nicely. Is there a reason why the company changed the composition?

Furthermore, does anyone have experience with the Brass Black Metal Touch up (15225 -BB2)? Is it any good at turning brass black? Is it similar to Gravoxide?

Thanks,

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Michael, You are speaking about a cold blueing compound which is acidic. Proper gun blueing compond is a base(salt) and it is mixed with water and heated to aproximately 295F. The amount of salt is conntrolled by observing the boiling point of the solution. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi