Gunner: I'm back

Yadda, yadda, yadda...

So the question is, "was it luck"?

Tim May claims it was not luck. That is, there was no luck involved, but all skill.

But of course, ALL business has a certain aspect of luck. Unless Tim had some insider information, that completely removed "luck" from the equation.

Would Tim May be where he is, had Apple gone belly up? Likewise with the rest of the list? No.

Tim was in the right place, at the right time, and with some careful thought (to minimize, but never eliminate luck), he was successful in his stocks. That's still what we call luck, Tim.

If it wasn't luck, then Tim could do the same, in any time period, with any available stocks, and any (however limited) amount of capital. I have my doubts on that...

Retief

Reply to
Retief

So, after years of railing against the government, Tim now runs to the government for help... How typical...

Tim's attorney is an officer of the Court -- and any action she takes on Tim's behalf will be through those Courts (and my taxes will end up paying for Tim May's protection).

Doesn't California have a law against practicing medicine without a license? Where did Tim's attorney get her M.D.?

Retief

Reply to
Retief

Luck is simply a statement about the things which happens in all peoples lives because of unpredictable and random events. It can be good or bad. Those things which happen to a person as a result of their personal skill and efforts are not luck. All person's lives are a mix of the two. Statistically those people who use their intellegence and skill will lead better lives than those who don't but it's not a guarantee.

-- Lou Boyd

Reply to
Louis Boyd

Err, nice try - the government is highly populated by lawyers, that's true. But saying that every lawyer is "the government" is pretty much a laughable statement.

Jim

jim rozen

Nah, he's always been a blustering asshole with delusions of adequacy.

Reply to
Bob Brock

Where did Tim say that he had a court case pending? Frankly, gummer probably needs someone to tell him what time to get up, what time to eat and what to eat, when to change his clothes, and how many twinkies he can buy from canteen. It's obvious where letting him make his own decisions has taken him.

Psychologists are not usually M.D.'s. In fact, the minimum requirements don't require you to be a doctor at all.

Reply to
Bob Brock

But you would be crazy to use one who wasnt !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Now I am not a Tim May fan but you have to realize that making money in the stock market depends on a lot of factors and many of them have noting to do with luck.

Did it involve luck buying Boeing when Boeing proposed building a

400 passenger airliner (The B747) that would carry passengers at on half the seat mile cost of it's previous generation of aircraft.

Did it involve luck buying defense stocks in the 1980 when Ronald Reagan was going to rebuild the American Military.

Did it involve luck buying Entertainment stocks (Carnival Cruse lines and resorts ) with a big jump in disposable income of Seniors, coupled with advances in general health of seniors and large number of Seniors retiring in the 1980's and early 90's.

Did it involve luck investing in health care when our population is getting older and most americans will use 80% of all the dollars they spend for health care in their whole lives in the last year of life.

Dose it involve luck investing in power generation companies when our yearly need of power is growing at a 9-15% per year rate yet we are not building any new power plants.

Does it involve luck when investing in security companies, when this war or terror mill go on for 20 years or more and International business and their properties are going to be the primary targets of terrorist organizations.

No making money in the stock market is a function of analyzing trends that are occurring every day, realizing how the trends will effect economic conditions and what will be the necessary economic assets necessary to service the conditions.

No Tim May may have had some luck in picking his stocks but remember

"The race may not always go to the swiftest, or the fight to the strongest. Buts that's they way the smart money bets."

The Independent of Clackamas County, Oregon

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood."

(Otto Von Bismarck, Speech, Sept. 30, 1862.)

Reply to
The Independent

Could be. ;-)

Gotta be careful of the terminology.

A Psychologist is a person who studies psychology. He's likely an academic, maybe a Phd., but not necessarily licensed to treat patients. He cannot legally prescribe medications. He is a researcher and may legally give you advice but he is not on the same level as a doctor.

A Psychiatrist is a doctor licensed to treat patients and prescribe meds. He may also be a Psychologist because, as logic would dictate, he must have been a student of psychology.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

The mistake you are making here is that sometimes, it is clear than an industry will produce more products, but it does not always translate into higher profits for the companies that are in it.

I have been relatively successful in investing, meaning that in the last 6-7 years I outperformed the S&P modestly, so the question of luck vs. skill is a question that I take deep interest in.

Speaking about luck when applied to the past (where the events are

100% certain inhindsight), is always difficult.

Basically, the simple answer is that not doing a few dumb things definitely increases the probability of luck. A person who is prudent, independent thinking and devotes some efforts to pick good investments, still faces quite a bit of luck.

Making a lot of money with the stock of one's employer, probably involves some rational thinking, some dedication, as well as luck.

Ignoramus29633

Two NDEs, and eight hours of surgery with my heart an a different table didn't change me a lot in some ways, and very much so in others.

You are what you are.

What is is. What ain't ain't.

Live with it, and stick to your own skin.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So, is it safe to assume that you don't have delusions of adequacy?

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I said, a 'simple fracture'.

What would have taked two hours and a few dollars in materials today takes a day and $1500-$2000+.

The other notable high priced service is law. Not a coincidence that both involve life threatening issues.

Reply to
Strabo

Welcome to the Nitwit Club. He's called me that so many times I must be president of the NC by now. I've never denied it, BTW. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Maybe we are over-doctored as well as over-lawyered?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff McCann

Is this in refernece to a joke I heard long ago?!!!!!! Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

snip-----

Hey, no fair!! I want to be pres!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Dare I ask?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Many are called, few are chosen. Most of you qualify for the Nitwit's Club, but only a handful are candidates for President.

I'll announce the finalists in a few weeks.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

Thanks, Tim. Please keep my exceptional qualifications in mind!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos