Gunner: I'm back

In Message-ID: posted on Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:33:27 -0700, Tim May wrote: Begin:

Well, if I may invoke tenure here, I was nominated back pre-y2k for Tim's nitwit club.

Bart Bailey

Huh??? I found it on page 443 of my Webster's collegiate Dictionary gullible (adj) Easily gulled, duped, or imposed upon

Oh well I mangle the English language pretty well my self. But I have and excuse Dyslexia what's yours?

Reply to
The Independent

Surely your term of office has expired by now. There must be room for me. There must!

On the other hand, I may not have the qualifications I think I have, especially when I consider that you were plonked, and I was not.

I think we may have Tim on a low simmer here after asking him to lighten up. Maybe he's seeing the humor in it after all.. One can hope.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Yes, but is the job of president based on how early one was dubbed a nitwit or how often? I do believe I'd win based on the 2nd mentioned criteria. I'm waiting with great expectations to find out who is selected by the illustrious, great, good-looking, eminent, nice, kind, intelligent, wonderful, superior and wise in all things Mr. May. How's that for a campaign speech? ;o) Sue - nitwit extrordinaire

Reply to
Sue

I'm non-delusional.

Reply to
Bob Brock

Are you talking to me or gunner?

Reply to
Bob Brock

Then don't use a psychologist. Most of them aren't doctors and those that are are PhD's and not MD's.

Reply to
Bob Brock

Main Entry: gull·ible Variant(s): also gull.able /'g&-l&-b&l/ Function: adjective Date: 1818 See: Right-winger

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Main Entry: gull·ible Variant(s): also gull.able /'g&-l&-b&l/ Function: adjective Date: 1818 See: Right-winger

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Think carefully about what you just wrote.

I'm surprised people are still falling for this one. Our educational standards today, presumably.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

Another sucker.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

+10 to Cliffy for drawing out the predicable response.
Reply to
Guido

Reply to
EskWIRED

Neither. I was merely sharing with the rest.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't have any doubts. Anyone can become rich in any time period if they work at it just a little. The Standard and Poors Index 500 has on the average returned about 10% per year. Some years much more, some years big losses, but an average of 10% per year compounded. The problem is most people do not save a percentage of what they earn. It doesn't even take any skill or luck.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

This is mostly the power of compounded interest, as you say. It's often more than just simple compounding, as it represents ownership in the future, and thus the amplification of wealth overall.

For some here, it may be too late (too old, too much learned helplessness). But for any of you reading this who are under the age of

30, get out your calculator and see what the power of compounded interest is all about.

I covered a lot of these points in a long article entitled "Life Choices." A lot of people seemed to have liked it.

Survivalism is an important meme, or idea. But some of the most important parts of survival have to do with finding a solid career, not getting sucked under by deadweight spouses and friends, saving and investing, and pursuing work that is both rewarding and enriching.

These are some of the themes covered by some of the writers we often cite here, folks like Robert Heinlein, Ayn Rand, and others. While they don't provide recipe books for how to find friends and spouses, what to do when a job lays you off, and similar "short term, self-help" advice, the messages are there if one fully absorbs the messages of achievement, self-reliance, and even "paranoia."

One of my old bosses at Intel, the famous Andy Grove, had a saying which got a lot of attention, most negative (from the liberal press): "Only the paranoid survive." This means being paranoid about saving for a rainy day just as it means buying firearms, just as it means speculating about the consequences of a comet hitting the earth.

Of course, losing a job is a lot more likely than a comet strike is, so it makes sense to prepare for this. I did so from my first months at Intel, building up my store of saved money, what we used to call " 'f*ck you!' money," for obvious reasons. The people who couldn't escape the "company store" were the people who have never saved enough of this " 'f*ck you!' money." Same as with people trapped in their jobs because they can't afford to break free, or to move from a dying town.

Saving money is even more important that buying firearms. Heresy, to some, but absolutely true.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

Mr. May, I'm sure this will surprise you, but this nitwit did *not* fall for it. Does this mean I don't get to be president of your fan club? Sue

Reply to
Sue

LOL... it was a test

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

hehehehehe.. ok that was good

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

I dont, but in your case I suggest checking with a psychologist first......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT