Gunner: I'm back

We still had switch board operators, and party lines untill 1976 in my county. We were the second to the last county in the whole country to go direct dial. The last county to go direct dial was some county in CO.

I have a couple of boxes of those old crank telephones that were given to me free a couple of years ago, I collect them for their dynomos. A neat way to catch fish is to drop the wall cord to the phone in the water near the fish, remove the hand set from the cradle and crank the phone crank rapidly. The fish will float to the top, not dead, but stund.

n. In WV.

Reply to
North

Can't say I agree. I graduated high school in '57. My ex-wife, then girlfriend, was hired by the phone company as an operator and worked on a plug type panel for some time. This was in Salt Lake City, Utah. I also recall being a youngster, early 50's, and sitting on my bicycle at the window of the phone company in my home town, Midvale, Utah, watching a family friend, along with others, working at plug panels. But then, Utah wasn't exactly up to speed at that point in time. Midvale was still just a smelter town.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Its a bit late now for speculation, long after the fact you published your claims not as speculation, but as hard cold factoids, and did so deliberately. Sorry..your apology is not accepted. Damage to her reputation and to mine has been irrevocably done. Your continued efforts to hammer the same drum tune even after being notified of your lie..er..error is also noted and filed.

Up or near..interesting phrasology. Please define both. 100 yrds?

1000? So if I decide to go bird watching 1000 yds from your bunker, Il be arrested, even on public lands or roadways? Interesting. Be sure to make specific distances mentioned in the TRO. Just so I know what the legal limit is..of course.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

You seem to be strangely fascinated by Gunner. Have you solved all the problems in your own life, and those of your family, friends and neighbors, and have decided to work on him next? Why not solve the problems of someone from whose improvement we might all benefit, like Osama bin Laden, or GW Bush?

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

Mystery man.. this isn't about anything... this the the stingy rich white man who doesn't have a life Sport..

This is Sport To this kind of people.. .where have you been...?

MIke

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

I would seek a TRO if and when I think Gunner plans to do what TROs are designed to head off: someone lingering on or near another person's property for threatening or harassment purposes. TROs are orders for another to keep a reasonable distance, allowing arrest and prosecution if they violate the TRO.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

"Gunner" wrote

Are you claiming a net loss of jobs during the 93-2000 period?

Dan

Reply to
DnaDan56

Tim sure had to a long way down the food chain to find his match in a pissing contest...

You would think someone so vocal or successful would have a more worthy opponant then some beaten down loser on his last leg..

Just kidding Gunner.... but hope you get my point..

MIke

The Lord himself has spoken, and he will not revoke these words: "Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear. They will say of me, 'In the Lord alone are righteousness and strength.'"

Even old Tim May is going to bend his fat ass over one day... and make a little confession.... maybe even beg a little for compasson... and we will all be there together.. watching him cry and whine like a little piss dog.

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

Stop running your mouth... Tim.. are you going to get a restraining order because Gunner a threat.. or are you just pulling his chain hoping to provoke.. get your orden and then have his guns taken away? Which is it... Isn't that your sport? Isn't that your game? You so rich.. so succesful..... and you piss yourlife away posting against some dumb smuck whose words and actions have no empact on society good or bad.. meanwhile.. you are smart.. you are strong willed.. you have the contacts to change society and government for good.. but you are so mentally unstable and bitter... that you piss your life away, horde your finacial and mental abilities.. like a rabid dog in fear of be shot...

YOU are worse the those on welfare... YOU are worse then those homeless wackos in downtown Santa Cruz...

Cause you know better, you KNOW how to make a difference.. YOU can bake a difference..

But you instead piss it all away... on nothing...

People who waste themselves and their so called abilities... should share a cell in the debtors prisons..

MIke

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

Uh, I don't think Tim has much in the way of family, I *doubt* very much he has friends, and I woulnd't imagine his neighbors talk to him much.

Careful.

He might try it.

"Endure the lesser evil, lest you unleash the greater..."

FW

Reply to
Frank White

Please, please, please. Can I go down to the courthouse or police station with you when you ask them to put a TRO on a man that had heart surgery within the last week.

It has been a long long time since I have laughed that hard, and I want to be there when it happens.

Please, please, please?

Steve ......................... PLEASE?

Reply to
SteveB

Gunner was once a worthy advocate for less government. Hence his fall beginning a few years ago, when he started to defend Big Brother Medicine and forced payment for his wife's life choices was all the more surprising and disconcerting.

He now appears to be completely in the thrall of the Hilary Health Care Plan Brigade.

If and when bad things happen to me, I certainly don't whine in the public newsgroups.

I doubt I'll do so anytime in the future.

And I certainly won't argue for socialized medicine and forced taxation to pay for people like his "son" to collect SS while others work.

America is becoming a slave camp. The Sonderkommandoes who administer the system or benefit from it are chortling.

--Tim May

Reply to
Tim May

Steve... get a bigger laugh... don't need to make a trip.. it's a felony to threaten anyone in an email, newsgroup posts, etc.. just one or two calls and over for that low life... barely living, stranling along Gunner...

Mike

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

I'm glad we agree Tim..... America has become a salve camp... but from where and from whom?

Was it the black man that opperesed the black and benifited from the slave trade and use of cheap labor, or was it the white rich self-made money man?

Was it the poor and the homeless and the weak and the stupid that destroyed the retirement funds, future, and hope when Enron, World Com, Tyco, Martha Stewert, Global Crossing, etc etc.. ran into money problems.. problems created by illegal and immoral acts of rich white men and women???

Was it those on welfare and SS disability who lied and pushed through the bond in Santa Cruz fo build that expensive new police station that is nicer and more modern looking that our dumpy schools??

Was it those on welfare, the sick, the mentally dereanged that divided up the assets of Seagate, moved out the machinery and left 100,000 square feet of empty buildings in Scotts Valley...??

Was it the poor and the homeless, the stupid and ignorant who built the great and grand Borland Building in Scotts Valley... only to collapse and cost the jobs and money of thousands of people..??

Was it the poor and the homelss and the sick who are spending $16,000 to feed a stinking baby sea otter special food so it won't die??

NO.. it is not the poor, the ignorant, the homeless, the stupid, the retarted... who did these things.. it was the rich... the powerful..

Well.. you get the point..

It's easy to point a finger and blame the weak and the small.... but guys like you.. your mentality.... had done damage to lives... the futures... on so many people..it can't even be measured...

While the wokring man... those you look down upon... those you despise becasue the aren't as good as you rest and sleep at night..

YOU and YOUR brothers of greed... sneak about... and try to find a way to take another nickel form a starviong child... how to get an extra interetst point on that loan to the poor smuck trying to make ends meet and be half a man for his family and wife...

Tim.. maybe you should see a shrink... you have many characteristics of a Narcicist....

What do you see in the mirror... reality... or your delusion of self gradeur?

Well got to go...

MIke

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

Upper East Tennessee, until the late 1960's, used human OP's for calls not in the immediate prefix code.

Of course, ALL long distance calls were OP.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

Also a few townships in Floyd Co., Southern Indiana until the late '60's.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

If you know that a job was done in the past for significantly less money than the present then you have a starting point to determine the reason. If the reasons are unnecessary then you have a basis to argue for a change.

It's the ignorance of how to analyze the job that allows costs to increase in a free market. Hospitals and insurance companies collude every day in setting prices. Americans grossly overpay for medical treatment. The citizen can't get the information and even if he has it he has to determine net cost plus profit to arrive at an acceptable figure.

One value of comparisons is that they can prompt questions about the differences in the cost of paperwork, billing and so on.

My point is that if a service sees high then we should ask if it is relatively higher than it was 30 or 40 years ago.

A simple fracture of the lower leg is remedied today just as it was then, an x-ray, setting and time and materials for a cast.

For a cash payment and adjusting for inflation, one would assume that the differences would first be in additional paperwork, plant overhead, material costs or salaries. If it still doesn't jive then waste, corruption and profit margins are the issue.

I assume perceived value of a mended leg is the same.

Reply to
Strabo

You may want to read my reply to poster 'hamei'.

My point was not to achieve 1960 prices but to achieve a similar value for the buyer. Medical costs are extremely high but that was not always the case.

Ordinary medical costs in 1960 were out of pocket. Few people had insurance thus insurance companies did not significantly influence medical costs. Pharmaceuticals were far fewer and less used.

The reverse is true today as most people are trapped in the insurance/drugs/hospital net. Very few can afford to pay cash for the same medical care of 1960.

Government (specifically Congress) is inflation. Government orders the use of debt money and regulatory agencies directly influence doctors, hospitals, pharmaceutical and insurance companies.

Why just this week Bush announced his plan to see that EVERY American have a mental evaluation! Of course the ties that he and his father have with the drug makers are well known.

By removing government from the equation, inflation would dramatically decrease and the medical arena would again become a (relatively) free market.

Reply to
Strabo