Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

That's exactly why the codes REQUIRE, not suggest, a transfer switch. Anything else is basically moot in a residential setting. Both code AND emergency services AND insurance companies will frown very deeply and react vehemently if/when they come across a device such as this discussion is about in a residence where it's not expected nor allowed to be.

Reply to
Pop`

He may have been a little melodramatic, but it IS within the realm of possibility. I didn't get to see it happen, but I did get to see a genset once after it'd attempted to back-power the neighborhood. Its protection didn't react quite quickly enough for such a load . But, for half second or so, it was powering the transformer!

Reply to
Pop`

And how long does it take to electrocute someone?

Reply to
Sam E

If you get unlucky, a fraction of a second is enough to cause ventricular fibrillation.

Reply to
Tim Smith

It won't matter. Any inpsector worth more than two pennies will reject a voluntary interlock.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Reply to
Solar Flaire

I am the local electrical utilty. You are confused and blaming unrelated things on lineman stupidity. Trained and legal linesmen do not take these chances. If they ever do, they are not linesmen anymore here.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Not at all - a person properly trained in electricity theories, construction codes and the like would know the risks involved, and if he did cause a backfeed into the utility system anyway and someone dies, Murder 2 (done deliberately but with no premeditation) would be a reasonable charge to level.

Though I'd bet most career prosecutors would charge it as Murder 2 just so they could plea-bargain it down to an easy Manslaughter.

IANAL, but even 120VAC is a potentially lethal voltage. And when it kicks backward through a transformer and is suddenly boosted to 5KV to

35KV or more, then it's really easy to "reach out and touch someone."

And I have personal knowledge of how massive screw-ups of this magnitude can and do happen, but please DAMHIKT. Let's just say it wasn't pretty, and leave it at that.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What do you not understand? an interlock is not voluntary. it is an interlock.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I am both an electronics technician and a licensed electrician, so I think I have had a bit of training in electricity theories.

That is absolute bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in doing things right. In fact, I have a proper transfer switch on my own home. But why must this transfer switch conversation always disintegrate into such childish nonsense?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

posted in response to

GB is an Inspector... in h i s head !

/smirk

I would also echo your words in:

------ Message-ID: xxxxxx I had to state that it's use would be illegal in each of those installations. I'm not that bothered about safety except where the lack of it endangers people, then I get quite particular.

---------

This particular waste of tissue (human), Solar Fart//Gymmy//Bengi, calling itself by whatever - in issuing its own qualifications, is prime example of endangering persons who would take what they read as Gospel. Denying _it_ the space to spread the garbage it does is an Act of selfless Good. cheers

Ln

Reply to
Lectron_Nuis

According to Mark Rand :

If the devices are installed properly, and _present_. How would they be installed? Bolted to the panel face plate? What if the plate has been removed?

Not quite. A large DPDT knife switch is failsafe.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

There is a video on YuTube where a nutcase climbed a power pole..and a crew was trying to get him down. The audio segment can be heard "its ok..the power is off" followed by one of the guys grabbing a line to reach over to grab the crazy guy. Needless to say..the power wasnt off.

Ayup..not pretty.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

That would not connect the generator to the utility, however.

Ignoramus10518

Unless of course one blade comes loose from the handle and sticks in one position while the other blade moves to the other position. Some folks would notice that and probably do something about it, but a knife switch isn't 'failsafe'.

Designing relay and control systems to be truly 'failsafe' is a whole science unto its own. :-)

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Nope. It's called, 'reckless disregard for others resulting in the death of someone'. In many states that fits the statute of murder. In NY it's not called Murder-2 since that is 'premeditated' while Murder-1 is 'causing the death of a law enforcement person while committing a felony act'. In NY it would be manslaughter in the first-degree.

All it would take is an accident and the DA being able to prove that you 1) had the prerequisite knowledge yet 2) choose to deliberately ignore the code requirements and that 3) your actions resulted in the death.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Let's be careful making legal judgments.

Making a mistake while trying to do a good job is not reckless.

"Reckless" in this context would be, for example, deliberately connecting the generator to utility side as an experiment.

Ignoramus10518

Are you a lawyer in real life or do you just play one on the Internet? If the former, can you provide us a link to a comparable case?

Frankly, I am tired of the silliness that always results from these transfer switch threads.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Although I would never advise someone to use a generator without a listed transfer device (and that can be a breaker interlock if it was tested on that panel by a NRTL) but I agree, these threads get silly. Your puny little generator will not handle "the grid" for more than a few miliseconds. When it hits the locked rotor of your neighbor's AC units it will trip out. Linemen are not going to die since they have procedures that assume NOTHING is dead until they prove it and then they short it out. I suppose if you did have a very localized failure you might light up a neighbor but the power company is likely to do that too when they restore power.

Reply to
gfretwell

Call it what you like..it won't pass inspection and therefore an illegal device.

or

You could get an Electrical Engineer to put his stamp of approval on the design documents and state it's specific usage...maybe. Apply to CSA or UL for an approval. You may have to submit a few prototype samples to get the approval though.

Reply to
Solar Flaire