Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

According to Solar Flaire :

You did notice that the president of HD Canada is Canadian and HD Canada is HQ'd in the maritimes, didn't you? Did you notice all the awards she's gotten from outside of HD?

Guess not.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Where in the world do you live? Either they pull the meter, or disconnect the drop from the secondaries. I've seen it done repeatedly around here after each hurricane.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have seen so much bullshit on this thread. POCO guys will just drop out the primary fuse on your transformer, do what they have to do and yank it back in with their hot stick. If something is amiss they will watch the fireworks from a safe distance.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you say so, but the out of state crews weren't taking any chances. I had nothing else to do for three weeks while I waited for them to replace the fuse at the entrance to my subdivision, so I watched a lot of the repair work as they replaced thousands of sheared off poles and downed primary and secondary lines.

Popping a fuse back in doesn't help, till the system is repaired, and if a house was badly damaged, they refused to reconnect power till the property was inspected. A lot of red tags on properties and even some poles because a side street had too many problems. Several house had the drops disconnected and coiled up by the meter poles on their property, until the county said it was ok to reconnect them.

Marion county took several bad hits over the last few years, and Progress Energy was to busy co-ordinating repairs to do much of the actual work. There were about five out of state crews working under each local crew, and the goal was to restore power to as many buildings as possible, as soon as possible. Some damaged poles in residential areas were replaced a year after they were damaged, because they only affected a few homes.

My subdivision was built in 1964, and the distribution system is a joke. Fuses blow almost every week, the old wire breaks with a little wind, and it was designed for 60 amp service, not the current 200 amp service that is required for any new installs or upgrades. During the summer when all the central air conditioners are running, and people start cooking supper, we lose power for three streets at about 5 PM every Friday, all summer long. it takes them about four hours to get here with two or three line buckets and inspect for branches touching the wires and downed drops before they replace the fuse.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

FPL seems to do a lot better job down here in SW Fla. Maybe it is because we are more exposed to the storms. We had our power back in a day after Wilma and Charlie. (they came right over us). We never lost power in the other dozen or so near misses over the quarter century I have been here. This is also a 60s era neighborhood. My house was built in 1963. Surprisingly it has roof clips that are equal to or exceed the current code set in a poured tie beam.

Reply to
gfretwell

We lost over 1000 power poles, and they can only replace so many a day. The Florida green Belt runs right behind my house. When I moved in eight years ago, you couldn't find a gap in the trees. Now 75% or more of the trees are gone Old oaks and pines were snapping like match sticks, but they deflected a lot of wind away from my house. My house is the very last one in the back corner of the subdivision, so anything that causes a problem takes out my electricity.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No luck, it was turned in to the county during a toxic household waste amnesty day recently.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's what I saw in Mississippi many years ago. If the drop to a house was damaged, they disconnected it. Then they would power up the block and most houses would get power back. The few that had damaged service entrances or other problems wouldn't get power back for quite some time (on the order of a couple of weeks, when they finished with the main lines and feeders, they would come back and do individual service).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Go for it. Then you can stop spewing the bullshit.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Lucky you then. I'll get my knowledge from the code books and people that know. I don't like tearing thimngs out and redoing them.

Perhaps the minimum wage where you are is higher or perhaps the knowledge they spew is vast compared to yours.

Reply to
Solar Flaire

Not enough. You're still able to post your glaring ignorance and hatred to Usenet.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Solar Flaire

I can cite the applicable NEC rules, can you cite the CEC rule? Probably not

Reply to
gfretwell

Is that what you think Military service is? You're even more deluded than I thought. Since it's not nice for me to taunt idiots like you, I declare you too stupid to live on Usenet.

What's that noise? Oh, no! The flaming Canadian fairy was just bounced into the bit bucket! PLONKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" ,stuffed his bin with Fairy Floss in:

If you have stopped for a minute to sort that solution out, I can only offer it was a few moments of your Life wasted. No one else appears to have had a problem figuring GB out right from the start of his wee troll. You play, at the expense of the rest of those wishing to participate in these forums. Think about that the next time you recognise the GB 'style' :-/ It is precisely because of Folks as yourself that a trail of wasteland is behind this arsehole. You feed the Attention it lacks in RL.

The only positive aspect I got from both yourself and responding is at least you know How To respond to Top Posting twats... and I am not talking about strategy/language.

Hint: You will need all your social skills to quiet the GB arsehole when it pops from Google//Shaw//[add new accounts here]. _IT_ will laugh long and loudly at *any* computer skill/s you display.

cheers

Ln

Reply to
Lectron_Nuis

Why dont you lads simply hunt down the little bit of pond scum and drop it into a hole and cover it over? No one owns a backhoe?

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

the sound pond scum makes rebounding off the inside of the bit bucket..

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

According to Solar Flaire :

Google for "electrical wiring faq" and note who one of the two authors are.

It's good enough that the US military just requested permission to use it in some of their base maintenance courses/programmes.

Oh, and yes, the CEC doesn't disallow automatic transfer switches.

I never have.

Reply to
Chris Lewis