Is there any public library of G-codes

Just curious, "the kid" and i were looking at ar10 and 15 lowers. We said, we can make that. the only hard part is the magazine pocket and we own a wire EDM to burn that out. Surely, others have seen this and acted, any big deal? Are the drawings already out there? That would be the biggest job.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Read the ITAR regulations, which are rather broad in scope. Posting is equivalent to exporting, probably even if the computer system is only accessible from within the US.

I do not take my work laptop on any overseas flights.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Maybe you can read ITAR regulations since you are the one claiming it to be illegal. AK-47 is not even a US weapons system and its specifications are a matter of common knowledge. ITAR is obsolete and products covered by it, such as encryption systems, are publicly available worldwide.

Ignoramus12838

The 3D CAD file would be more useful. The problem with word address programs (those that use G codes, M codes, etc.) is that about 1/2 of the codes are common, like G00 and M03, another 1/4 are done differently on different controls, like radii and drilling cycles, and the last 1/4 is specific to the control manufacturer. I worked briefly for Traub before they were bought by Index and the Traub version of word address was so elegant that I felt I could make the tool do anything. But... those programs would never run on a Hardinge with a Fanuc control.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Hardly true.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Maybe this will help.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The prints are everywhere. As are the instructions...

Now for those who only have a mill and a lathe.... and live in a state like California where AR-s are basically banned....There is a website out there somewhere where a guy machined from scratch..blocks of 6061=T6 and built an AR lower from scratch. It appeared to be quite easy to do as well.

In california..there are several bastard requirements when one tries to owns an AR..the biggest hurdle is its pistol grip

or the detachable magazine..

Hence I dont own any ARs Ill admit to.

M1As...Mini14s and so forth..they are ok. But my favorite toy..STG58..FN-FAL..is also banned in California

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

But has ITAR been removed?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Wow, this is just outright awesome.

Ignoramus12838

But if you make your own rifle, you can call it GA-15 or whatever you like, right?

Ignoramus12838

Sounds like China...

Reply to
cavelamb

No. ABSOLUTEly true.

A hand made thing will ALWAYS be more expensive - man hours, materials for RETRYS, Trying to get "perfect" parts to fit...

GIMME a break, Guns. YOU know this.

Reply to
cavelamb

Kinda sorta. There are some issues with local cops who dont know shit about the gun laws in California. Most of them in the LA area of course. The ones around here tend to be shooters anyways and even if they have doubts..tend to tell you to put it away so they cant ask questions about it.

"California

The 2000 Assault Weapons ban in the state of California sparked a renewed interest in the AR-15 rifle. It is estimated that some 400,000 California Legal AR-15s are in existence in that state, with another

100,000 added each year.[19] There are three ways to get a legal AR-15 in California:
  1. Registered Assault Weapon: If you owned the rifle before Jan 1,
2000 and registered it with the state, you have a Registered Assault Weapon (RAW) under CA law. No new registrations are permitted. RAW rifles can have combinations of features which are prohibited in unregistered rifles.
  1. Fixed Magazine Rifle: This style of rifle is made by combining an AR-15 upper receiver with an AR-15 lower receiver which has not been specifically banned by name, and which has a fixed 10-round (maximum) magazine. In such a configuration, the rifleman could add otherwise prohibited features such as a telescoping stock and pistol grip. The magazine is not detachable, so to load the rifle the shooter must either "top load" or use a magazine lock. To top-load, the shooter pulls the rear takedown pin, hinges the upper receiver on the front pivot pin, and loads the now exposed magazine. Several devices are available on the market which replace the magazine release button with an inset pin that requires the use of a special tool to activate the magazine release.
  2. Featureless Rifle: If a rifle has none of the prohibited features (pistol grip, telescoping or folding stock, flash hider, grenade/flare launcher, forward pistol grip), the rifle may be used with legally-owned large capacity magazines. There are several products available on the market to configure featureless rifles. Special grips are available which prevent the thumb from going behind it as would be the case with a pistol grip configuration. They are therefore not a prohibited wrap-around style grip. Separate buffer tubes to contain the recoil spring and buffer assembly may also be used in conjunction with special stocks without prohibited grips or stock adapters which attach to the pistol grip mount.

Most AR-15 manufacturers now make lower receivers which qualify as "Off-List" Lowers (OLL) in the state of CA."

Shooting some of the pistol grip-less rifles can be an utter pain in the ass.

So most guys build a rifle using the not easily detachable magazine release and a fixed butt stock.

They also have on hand tucked neatly and invisibly away..the replacement standard magazine release for when the shit hits the fan and they actually wont be worried about anyting other than staying alive.

Shrug

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Expensive in time yes..but not in cash. And yes..one can build one far more accurate than an issue one.

IF you know what you are doing and have the tools.

Quite frankly...while the common thought is "time is money"..under many circumstances...there is no relationship.

If you are unemployed and have absolutely nothing to do..how much money does 20 hours of labor cost you out in the shop?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

AFAIUI, ALL firearms are on the US munitions list (under Category 1).

Note that it's not inherently illegal, just illegal to do without asking (and receiving) permission in advance, like most such things.

Since when did regulations have to make sense?

I agree the personal risk is probably very low in this case, but I don't think the G-codes are already public domain which is the only explicit exclusion.

Well, I agree. It's certainly hurting US manufacturers. We have to keep even the spec sheets and pinouts for some products under lock and key and they *do* come and inspect our security, and our stuff is nothing to do with military products, just really high tech instrumentation that has to be used in aircraft worldwide. Buy a similar product from a French or Russian company and the problems go away. I'm sure they're delighted, the US stuff is generally cheaper and about as good, so otherwise it would be preferred. In fact if the European item is imported to the US, the US government may not allow it leave!

Having gone to seminars etc. I can actually see where they are coming from-- if data was used to produce items that were then used to kill civilans, US or NATO soldiers in job lots.. but it's gotten silly.

Despite the silliness, the potential penalties are severe though.. and it would be foolish to trust government folks with that kind of power over one, IMHO.

Did you ever subscribe to Foreign Affairs? There was a good article on ITAR reform late last year:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ignoramus12838 on Thu, 15 Jul

2010 21:54:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

A law may be old, it may be out dated (e.G., The Mining Act of

1872), it may even be obsolete - but it is still the law. Just because the existence of a the AK-47 is nie universal, and kids in the NW Territories of Pakistan are making them with screwdrivers and nail files, does not mean that you can legally manufacture one in your own shop (Unless you are a felon and live in California, in which case the 9th Circuit ruled that the restrictions do not apply - interesting application of the Interstate Commerce clause.). And just because encryption systems are available world wide proves 'nothing' - they were distributed despite and in defiance of the law. (That includes PGP, et alia.) You post the G-codes for an AK-47, even one which is a semi-automatic version, and the BATFE will descend upon you like a horde of parasites, because they are a dangerous as they are clueless. And they will arrest you for violation of the act, and it will be up to you to convince a jury of your peers (if your peers include those who can't get out of jury duty) that you did, in fact, not violate the law you violated by posting the G-Codes.

Secondly, what a good government might not do, has no relationship with what a bad government will do. And bad governments have been known to attempt to suppress further publication of technologies mentioned in works of fiction. Barak Obama is correct at least this once: the easiest thing for a bureaucrat to do is nothing: To forbid.

In this era of reduced revenue, be aware that after the BATFE raids your shop, they will bring along OSHA, EPA, FAA, PTA, PETA, SEC, FCC, the Patient Office, NAALCP, MIC KEY MOU SE, CPS, HSS, HUD, the IRS, and Ralph the Wonder Fink, to make sure you are in compliance with every law, regulation and interpretation, whim and desire of government (Or NGO) employees. My advice: keep your passport and cash stashed off site where you can get at them, assuming you make bail.

Gluck

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Fri, 16 Jul 2010 00:38:07 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Time is money is a constant. You either have a lot of one, or the other.

Right now, I have the time, but not the money. Worse - no shop, so I can't turn some of that time into money.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It is legal to manufacture any gun that is legal to have in your state.

I smell bullshit.

I smell even more bullshit. I would not even dare to guess out of where you pulled it.

Check out

they offer drawings of many popular gun models.

Time to go back to reality.

Ignoramus16581

If you have the skill and the ability to make money in a shop at home..that is something one really needs to do something about.

Know anyone with a cargo container, seatrain, old semi trailer etc? Barter for it and get it onto your property. It will provide a decent start. While they are only 7.5' wide inside..they provide decent out of the weather storage and a place to work.

Get 2, put them 10' apart...run some 12' 4x4 over the tops between them, with some thin plywood (scrounged) and now you have 2 storage/work areas with a covered work area between them

There are LOTS of ways of scrounging up Stuff to start making money from.

Rather dated...
Hell..one can buy the blue tarps from Harbor Freight for damned little money and put up temporary "roof"

Now I mention roof..because I live in the desert..and the sun will kill you here. At the moment..its 105F with 44% humitity and has a slight overcast.

Need something I can send..simply ask

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:38:26 -0500, Ignoramus12838 wrote the following:

Ask 'em yourself, Ig.

Just ask "Will you arrest me and send me to prison for the rest of my life if I create and display, to the public, the G-code for using CNC milling machines to create a receiver for the AK-47 automatic rifle?" If you use the term "assault rifle" they'll understand better. I believe they're just a bit down on those things.

The email would do two things immediately. It would answer your question and it would put you on the DHS watch list for potential terrorists living in the USA. If you're lucky, they won't arrest you for thinking it, but be prepared for a visit and tour of all your properties by armed men from one alphabet organization or another.

You (we) may have already made the list by A) posting here and/or B) posting that statement.

Reply to
Larry Jaques