Kindling maker

I've found insulated hunting coveralls much more comfortable when I'm not doing something that could snag their soft, very flexible fabric.

Around here Walmart sells flannel-lined jeans and work pants that are cozy to lounge around in. I'm comfortable working bare-handed in a 35 degree shop wearing them, an insulated vest over a flannel shirt and a hat. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Fog is a big problem here. Freezing rain...so rare, like snow..that it is a once in a decade thing..or even less.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Im a desert dweller. A very very cold night here might be 36F..but we will have a lot...a lot of fog at those temps. Summer tends to be at

100-108ish with a long spring and a long fall in the 50s-80s. Summer humidity is around 12-25%..winter tends to be in the 80% or higher range. Right now its 45F and 93% so we will have a bit of fog this morning.

So between the cool and the humidity in winter..it gets COLD. If it would drop below freezing..the humidity goes away and it actually would warm up in "feel"

They say it might snow this year..but I doubt it. We have only had one snow fall on the mountains (5000') and it didnt stay the entire next day..was mostly gone by noon.

Ive got some insulated hunting coverals that I occasionally wear out in the shop, but I love Carrharts and have a number of insulated pairs. Can find em here in the second hand stores fairly regularly...I live in the middle of the oil fields..so folks have money to spend on good clothes and do.

Even have a couple pair of Sorrels..but havent put em on since my last hunting trip...almost 5 yrs now. Up in the coastal range in Febuary as I recall. Its 7 am..and its time for bed.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Some photos of the shop and other things

  1. Lie
Gunner

Chuckle..it was done at one of Californias best hospitals.. Loma Linda

The doctors appologized for the job they did..and the 172 staples to close up their work. They never did tell me what they did wrong..but they admitted "wrong doing" and dropped the bill. That and the stroke and how they handled that too.....

As Id mentioned before..I dropped the insurance in November..simply couldnt afford it any longer with the economy going into the toilet..and had the heart attack 2 months later in January.

Shrug...mans got do do what a man has to do. If Id sold every scrap, every tool, every firearm, every toy and put myself out on the street..I couldnt have come up with the $185k the stroke was billed at.

So..I didnt.

Now Im like 45 million other Americans and 25 million illegal aliens....paying what I can, when I can.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Ive got a power washer. It needs a motor. Got a nice Hotsey in fact.

Got a case of pretty decent foaming cleaner from O Reilly auto parts. Works pretty good.

But..most of it is more like thick dust. Dusty here..and the dogs romping in the shop tend to coat everything with a thick layer of dust which of course settles on the oil. Wiping it off simply lets stuff Rust..so I dont wipe off non essential Stuff very often.

I think the last pictures were of 18 months or longer ago. Ill have to shoot some photos of it as it is today.

Gunner, making note to shoot photos of the current shop

  1. Lie
Gunner

Yabbut those panels are only corrugated on 4" or 6" centers - you can only pull that off (sneaking through only one ridge) by making a custom oval flue-pipe.

That's why I suggested elsewhere to use a standard radiant-pipe style natural gas (or propane) heater and then pop through the roof with 4-O B-Vent flue. Problem is you can't use B-Vent on a wood stove, it gets way too hot.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

The ridge of the roof, not of a corrugation, or close enough to it that a sheet can overlap the ridge and the upper edge of the roof fitting.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Go back and read the thread again - he's on a flat Lean-To carport style roof on one side of a Mobilehome. There is no roof ridge available on a flat roof (only a High and Low side) so that won't do any good.

It's deep corrugated steel panels originally made to be the roof deck on a commercial building, the base of any roof flashing like that has to have the matching corrugations and nobody makes them. A flat based flashing isn't going to work, and a custom flashing would be far more effort (and money) than it's worth.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

He says he has a ton of welding equipment and brags on his skills at using it. So a custom curb should be a piece of cake and cost next to nothing. But you have to consider the obvious - the stove is currently backed up against OSB sheeting because anything better is too much effort to expect from the owner. Therefore there's virtually zero chance of a custom curb installation or anything like it even if someone else welded it up and handed it to him for free.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

The low end of the roof is enclosed by a rectangular piece of aluminum that has a slot in one side that the roof goes into and runs its length..some 65'. It works as a rain gutter. Well..it would if it wasnt filled with dust, dirt and debris from the trees, the grape vines and a cubic buttload of cat shit.

How the cats get up there is another thing to figure out.

Sigh

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Gunner on Wed, 02 Jan 2013 09:54:55 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Cue theme from Mission Impossible .. had friends who would let the cat out the front door, only to have it show up on the deck wanting in. Turns out it was clambering up the 20 foot post, weaving over an under the joists, then a "technical climb" over the edge, and viola - "I'm on the deck and I want in"

The other option is to check the hours on the forklift. That may explain the high propane usage.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

They could either jump down from the tree in the front yard (near the swamp cooler), the tree over the motor home behind the shop, or go up the lattice next to the shop (at the south, IIRC).

There are -very- few places, inside and out, that cats -cannot- get to. Also, if they've discovered your hiding places for the bread, jam, and masking tape, all bets are off. They can hover to anywhere in the world.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Damn! You may have something there!

Gunner, running out to pull the keys

  1. Lie
Gunner

Only till the bread goes moldy. Then they come crashing to the ground. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You don't need to know how they get up there. You need to figure out how cats reproduce so that the volume of cats and their shit can be limited. Once you've gotten that far it's a simple matter to have a vet take care of the issue. Well, it would be simple if you were willing to get a job to pay for it like regular people. Until then keep pretending that it's a normal part of life to have a roof filled with cat shit.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

IIRC a standard stove pipe is 7" dia. so what you need is a length of

8" sheet metal (heavier gauge than the deck sheet) cylinder through an opening in the deck, centerd on a rige of the profile and vertical (not at right angles to the decking). Re-work the decking such that water doesn't get trapped uphill from the chimney. Weld the cylinder to the roof deck with no leaks. Pack the space between the stove pipe and the cylinder with rock wool or similar insulation and waterproof the top with a hand fabricated flashing. Extend your stove pipe as high as neccessary, guy it in place, instal a screened cone rodent proof cap and enjoy some warmth. This far above the heater you shold be able to use galvanized ducting which is available in longer lengths than standard black stove pipe.
Reply to
grmiller

That welding part..is gonna be a little iffy. Its enamal clad steel (I think) but its about .050 in thickness and there really isnt any good way to get above it to weld on it..and Im not worth a shit at overhead tig.

If its Aluminium..all bets are off.

But thanks for the interesting suggestions!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Aw, c'mon. Cats smart enough to use the anti-grav technique surely know to come down in time to replace the bread.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Knowing how, and being responsible are two different things. You know the superior attitude most cats have. They don't believe it'll ever happen to them!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell