Kindling maker

Did it ever occur to you that your dad was a bad karma risk and to avoid riding with him? Man, scary scenarios! Who'd he kill in his past lives? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

No one that I know of, but one of my great grandfathers was a Southern Democrat who had an interest in linens.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not when you had it filled with American GIs on a weekend pass.

I lost a friend when he leaned forwards to grab a beer from the cooler in the front seat and went through the floor. That Unibody construrction in a heavily salted state killed him.

As has been mentioned...many of the "fun cars" had issues.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Jan. '60, one of the guys had a 55 or 56 Beetle. Four of us were cruising on a Sunday afternoon when the owner challenged the owner of a healy 3000 to a run around the ice track at the community centre. We made four laps before the Healy got all the way around - with four of us on board, the beetle couldn't spin its tires!

Reply to
grmiller

Ayup! Dad was big into road rallies (Jag XKe) but he loved both the little Renault and the VW for winter rallies. Lots of fun to be had on the lakes in Northern Michigan in the winter. Course..you had to bring out the snow plows a lot of the time just to find the ice...shrug

I had a friend from California come out back in Febuary of 1970..and I took him out past the lakes..and he asked...what do they plant in that big field? Damn thats a big field, and I thought Michigan had a lot of trees..is that big big flat spot where they cut the trees down?

He commented on a big truck and flatbed out in the middle of one of the fields and he looked again..and then again...and he said...concrete slabs? What are they doing with those big concrete slabs out in the middle of that huge field?

He was shocked when I finally told him those flat spots were lakes and the truck was loading slabs of Ice..until I drove him out and showed him.

It simply was outside of his world view that those were lakes..frozen lakes with ice many feet deep on top.

Now I know how he felt, living out here myself.

It actually Snowed today!! Well..big falling slush wads..but! It was kinda Snow!!

And the Grapevine is still closed both ways!!

Gunner

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Speaking of snow..ice and disaster../

I found this quite interesting

Feel free to forward it along.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

In the 70's before front and four wheel drive were common an ice storm would close the roads to traffic and the police, and open them for play to the Beetles, Rabbits and Saabs with studded tires, and my buddy and I on dirt bikes. I stopped driving down snowmobile trails after they complained they couldn't steer because of the VW and bike tire ruts.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Ayup! And you really could get some distance with that flat underbody of the VW...nothing sticking out except for the 4 wheels. and when you hit a snow drift..they would plane like a toboggan.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

That's wild!

Hey, you must have been hit by the same front that hit us yesterday. We had 1" x 1.75" clusters of snowflakyslushycrap. It dropped about an inch and made everything white, but rain later in the day melted it all. Thankfully.

It's a good thing you have no work. (Oh, wait...)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I took my Corvair skiing once.

It had been raining in Vista for a few days before. I took the shortcut back from the Carlsbad Raceway, hauling a friend and his girlfriend (Miss Del Mar or some similar title.) As I came over a rise, I saw the little creek had turned into a 40' wide lake. There wasn't time to stop, so I gassed it and skidded the flat pan over the water, just to the other edge. Phil got out and picked up his girlfriend, only to fall backwards into the pool with her on his lap. He pushed me about 6" farther through the muddy bottom and I got traction and was able to drive out. Miss Del Mar had a brown bottom, something which cracked Phil and me up but left her a bit miffed. That was an adventure. I'm glad I had time to somewhat react. In a regular car, I'd have sunk in immediately. I was happy the Corvair had naugahyde seats, too. That was some sticky mud.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Snip

If you haven't already gone through the wall or roof how about -

You could seal with a can of insulation foam covered with asphalt emulsion. Standard wet patch might droop when it gets hot.

Once again - I know these are designed for furnace, not a woodstove, but if you find one on an old mobile home it might get you through the next couple of winters.

Reply to
Stumpy

While you're at Home Depot for the roof patch.

meld these two together.

Reply to
Stumpy

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 09 Jan 2013

17:30:59 -0500 typed >> Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I may on occasion pass for crazy, but I'm not that kind of crazy. Or stupid. There was that winter when ... well never mind.

pyotr filipivich

Gunner on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:32:53 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

In the book Small Wonder - the author writes of coming over - I want to say Brenner Pass - from Austria- the only thing on the road was him in his Bug. And just like you said - up and over the drifts.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

When they told you you were out of you mind & gave you that nice white coat with extra long sleeves. Then it took you nine months to chew through the restraints. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 23 Jan 2013

19:49:33 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Ah yes. My junior year at university Probably the happiest three years in my life.

But it was over the summer, and as the Hospital had Air Conditioning, so it wasn't all bad. And I was able to get out in time to start classes. Maybe not the best thing ...

pyotr filipivich

...to have those long sleeves dragging the ground... ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 25 Jan 2013

22:31:10 -0500 typed >> "Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 23 Jan 2013

Yeah, knotted them up and they served as a great place to carry extra beers.

pyotr filipivich

How do you get them out of the sleeves? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 28 Jan 2013

15:00:25 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

With my hands, of course.

pyotr filipivich