Light box for object photography

Ahum...an F1.8 has a very low depth of field. An F16 has a far far greater depth of field.

And under low lights...a slow shutter speed would be indicated (with film and some digital sensors)

I suspect you are going by the hole size..not the numbers which is where most folks work from.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Numbers Lloyd..not physical diameter. f 1.2 is a lower NUMBER than f32. Bigger hole....smaller number.

Correct.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Anybody want a pair of Omega Ds? I have 2 collecting dust.

(4x5 enlargers)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

As a retired photography instructor..I stand by my statement

.
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Richard fired this volley in news:p8Kdnarx5bVXTOjMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

yup... all kinds of 'trade expressions' in photography.

How about 'push'?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

gunner, gunner, gunner... I know what the numbers mean. I not only did the full-monte photography thing from the time I was 15 until 22, but I also have built and use telescopes. Focal-length/aperture ratio (f-stop) is one of those, um... 'entry level' things.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Color head? full 4x5 condensor, or just the diffuser model? Got any polycontrast filter sets for it?

(see... I wasn't kidding).

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Richard fired this volley in news:xLudnZIHlfrUROjMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Dodging, vignetting, solarization, toning... it was a richly-complex hobby. Just the sort of thing to keep a nerdy kid engrossed for years. I was also our high school photographer, so I had 'smoking privileges' (not really, but when they knocked to check up, I always had "some film out!".)

The dean of boys had never heard of a modern film tank, so didn't know you could develop in full shop light.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

They will scan slides, negatives, positives b&W and color negatives etc

They cost $15-150

The one I use:

(picked up a a yard sale for $10)

I do have an Olympus..but its got a scuzi interface and I no longer use it very often

Just get a can of air..or a good film brush. As enlarging/scanning will show dust, fingerprints etc etc

These were scanned negatives (B&W)..and the color ones were slides

These were scanned color negatives

I need to redo the above as they are quite dark..but the negatives were very thin...and I was just learning to use the scanner.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yeahbut...

The common expression "Stop Down" really does mean to reduce aperture size (although it also means a higher F-stop number)...

Thinking about it since, I'm sure that's what Gunner meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope..b&w only..full condenser. Bases are rough..but the accordians are still in decent shape.

PC filters are readily available on ebay.

I may still have some lenses. Ive had these in storage for at least

15 yrs. Swap or trade..you pay the shipping or come and get them.

I used the shit out of them..I was always a medium format guy. Got a goodly collection of Mamyias, Hassies etc etc. and of course...4x5 cameras.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh man...

Haven't heard that one in a century or so. One of my Dad's favorite tricks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've got you there. Done both dodging, and burning.

He was fabulous at dodging too.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dear Lloyd,

Dear Lloyd,

Sometimes, mistakes cancell themselves out.

Sometimes, mistakes cancell themselves out.

. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

I think you completely mis-read what he said. You just _repeated_ it (correctly), except for disallowing that small apertures require longer exposure, which he had wrong and you correct.

But you were wrong about one thing: For a given 'speed' (film, CCD, anything), shutter speed IS directly involved. The smaller the aperture, the longer the exposure for a given level of illumination.

LLoyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Is that the Apologetic Italian version of SCSI?

Look... no common desktop scanner will give you anything even close to the resolution that's on the film. 3600 or 4800dpi will look pretty good, but a 35mm negative is small... that doesn't end up being a lot of X by Y.

There are excellent lens-adapter attachments that will fit or be adapted to most SLR-type digital cameras that will allow the negative or slide to fill the frame, and give you better resolution than a flatbed scanner can.

Also, most photo shops (the few there are) usually have high-resolution slide scanners for doing exactly what you want.

If from prints... it depends upon what you have. You can do a pretty good job on a cheap desktop scanner on formats as large or larger than

5x7.

I wish I could haul a scanner and my computer/software back to 1969. I made nice money (for a kid) back then hand-retouching damaged or carelessly printed original prints. It would've been a 'miracle shop' if I'd had the digital tools of today!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Not to 99% of the public...chuckle

I did photography from the age of about 11 till my mid 40s..both as a amature, as a professional and as an instructor at the local JC

When I started being gone from home 5-14 days at a time doing machine repair...I largely fell away from the technical aspects and became a snap shot shooter.. Then I bought my first digital...

The stroke I had 4 yrs ago..put some small holes in the old memory thingy..but it didnt wipe it all out...thanks be to Crom!!

I see Im going to have to start scanning the Best of...the 10,000 slides and negatives (or more) that Ive got tucked away in boxes. I cant scan most of my prints...I dont have a big enough scanner. Shrug

I do miss a lot of it..but its been 16 or more years since I started the machine repair business...and there wasnt a lot of time to do serious photography during that period. And I closed down the darkroom and packed it all up..gave a lot of it away. Still have some film tanks and whatnot...enlarging easels...etc etc. I loaned out a full darkroom to a local lady..who 5 yrs later...left town and didnt bother to talk to me about the stuff Id loaned her..including the color enlargers

Shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Correct. Historically...the bigger the number meant the smaller the hole. 1 is on the top....64 is on the bottom...when you "stopped down"...you were going farther down the list..and making the hole smaller...letting in less light...

Im just an old fart.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

50%? 100%? 200%?

Plus-x at ASA 200?

Still have a freezer full of 120 Plus-x I ought to shoot up...one of these days.

GUnner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Futurama?