M head collet question

I was given an M head with a Rockwell mill I bought, the M head had no
collets. I cut the tang off a MT2 drill to see how it fit (I didn't think it
would) and the MT2 is to small it goes up in the spindle a bit. So it looks
like this is either a BS 7 taper or perhaps a bridgeport taper. So whats the
best way to determine the taper without a bunch of collets to test?
Reply to
wayne mak
You can determine the taper, or you can buy reasonably-priced replacement collets for the M head, at least in the US, from the folks at MSC industrial supply.
LLoyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Wayne, if the nose opening at the very bottom measures 0.730" diameter (as mine does) then it might be a BS7 (definetly not MT2). Be aware that there is a third size. B3 I have never seen one of these, however. RichD
Reply to
cmsteam
Its likely to be a 7 taper. Few BP tapers were ever used
Gunner
Gunner
The B3 ID is about 0.77" (just checked mine). The taper is short, and similar to R8, only smaller. The draw bolt is same as R8. If you're lucky, it'll be one of the others.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
.725 at mouth, the draw bar is smaller diameter than R8. Looks to be a BS #7, so thats not great but not the worst. Not sure if I will use the head.
Reply to
wayne mak