made another cart from bedframes

Hello Walt, yes indeed bed frame material has made many a project around here too....

Have you or anyone else ever ran gas in addition to flux core? Does it get rid of the splatter? I have a virtual lifetime supply(3 spools) of flux core, and the gas kit in a box(just need a bottle), I would really love to reduce the splatter!

thanks, mark

wallster wrote:

Reply to
mark

My new miller mig arrives tomorrow so i made a cart for my trusty campbell hausfeld flux core welder. I posted them in the drop box under "flux_core_cart" pics. The little cart only cost me the price of two wheels (approx $10.) I'm slowly making everything organized with these bedframe stands/carts. I can never quit my job at the mattress company, my bedframe supply would dry up! walt

Reply to
wallster

What you're refering to is called dual shield. It is a truly wonderous process that uses wire with a special flux core that is designed (and required) to be used with an outer gas sheild. There is a bunch of info in the archives on "dual shield".

You cannot just run a gas shield with standard flux-core wire. Not sure if it would ruin the weld, but it would be a waste of $.

Dual shield is different and needs gas. A lot of the current dual shield wires use standard C25 gas, so you can just switch rolls.

Dual shield gives a hot arc and great penetration like flux core. When the machine is dialed in, you don't get much spatter. When you chip the flux off, you see very beautiful welds. Very popular with ship builders in the PNW.

If any one in the Seattle area wants to try some, I've got a 10 lb. spool of .045 that is a little too much for my 170 amp welder to handle. Email me if intersted in a trade or cheap price.

Jeff Dantzler dantzler at d r i z z l e dot com

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I never used gas with the flux core, i didn't want to use it up, then when i needed it for mig welding with solid wire (dcep) i wouldn't have it. You should post that question: " does adding gas to flux weld (dcen) reduce spatter?" I'd be curious to know that answer too. good luck, walt

Reply to
wallster

mark wrote: (clip) Have you or anyone else ever ran gas in addition to flux core.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ If you do try it, you will not know what polatiry to use--flux-core requires the opposite polarity to gas shielded.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman