Metrication advocates are at it again

Its a toss up. Either "42", or "shopping".

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Greg,

I guess you just made Gary's point quite well. Metrication is a world standard, whereas in some parts of the world F/P/S is not. For instance, to me here in Canada, only one of your answers is correct. "Inches in a mile is rather a useless number." That's true!! (Unless you're recently working on Doug Gonz's mutter-byke speedometer or gearing!!)

But there are 69.355 CI in a Gallon here. And even in the US, there are two different sizes of a quart.... liquid and dry...which are different.

And there are 277.419 CI in a gallon, except in the US there are again two other answers.

Other than it's easier, that's what metrification is attempting to correct. Make it so we all have a common ground. Apples and apples. Won't happen in your life-time or mine, but it will happen eventually. US industry is WELL on its way, for a number of years now. Although I've got to admit that metrification in Canada is certainly taking more than one generation to complete. But my 30-something son sure knows roughly how long a metre is, and roughly how much a kilo weighs, and can put about a litre of water in the soup pot Ok without wrecking the broth. Not by "measured standards", but just by holding out his arms, or picking something up, or looking at a variety of containers. He's no more accurate at it than I am at judging 3 feet, or 2 pounds, or a quart (although even I can tell a US quart from a Canadian quart, but much harder to see the difference between a US quart and a liter... not so easy with gallon though, unless they are sitting side-by-side). But he can't gap his thumb and finger at 1/16", and for sure can't do 0.0625", but he's not bad at 10mm.

Take care.

Brian Laws>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The real problem with converting the US is all the foot-dragging. It is aggravating to try to work on an older car and half the bolts are metric and half SAE! I'd like to see a cold turkey swap. It wouldn't take very long and all this BS would be history.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

It's my ambition when I retire to count to twenty useing my fingers and toes, and then continue the count to twenty one :-)

misc.metric-system

Metrication

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Reply to
David Billington

9 & 63/64 (approximately) fingers & thumbs. Lost part of 2nd left fingernail many years ago.

Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

Reply to
alan200

On 2 Jan 2004 18:12:34 -0800, jim rozen brought forth from the murky depths:

Izzat Aussie, Brit, Whitworth, American, or Chiwanese millimeters? And shouldn't it refer to something like a radius or diameter? Please don't taunt us like that, Jim. You're really just a troll from the "Pi r round" group, aren't you?

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:13:14 GMT, Gunner brought forth from the murky depths:

Isn't that measured in Yums per pint? Organic, Metric, or Imperial trees?

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:57:59 GMT, "Ron Thompson" brought forth from the murky depths:

"Cold turkey is the way to go." said the ex-drinker & ex-smoker.

That's the way our schools should be, too. Total immersion is the quickest way to learn a new system or language.

I wish we had done that way back when. Working on bilingual cars was hell.

I left California but can think of 28 different ways they can save millions there: drop the multilingual crap. Ballots and election materials are all printed in that many languages.

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's either 42 or 44 or 47. (I worked it out 3 times).

Reply to
John

Nope; 42.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

So, you want the government to step in and mandate a particular measurement scheme? I think that's a bad idea. Let the market decide which unit conventions are appropriate.

Metric is already being used in most manufacturing plants. And the places where pints, hogsheads, furlongs, etc are still in use, there's probably a good reason for them.

Jim

jim rozen

I have no problem using metric or inch units in our job shop, but I do object to DIN tolerances. Instead of specifying "G7/h6", I want to see something ON THE PRINT OR IN THE CAD FILE telling me the tolerance range desired. It takes a lot less time for the engineer to do that ONCE than to have to go look it up on a chart every time someone sees the print for the first time. Also, I seen a lot of metric prints that have a tolerance block that gives an increasingly large tolerance as dimension size goes up. Pre-CNC, this may have made sense but now I consider it nonsense. Use significant digits to identify general tolerances.

I'd really like to see the US architectural industry go metric. They seem to consider 1/4" to be precise, and too many times I've added up their length dimensions within a part and ended up with a total longer or shorter than the part. Or I convert their CAD dimensions to decimal and discover that what showed as 5/8" originally is actually .650" because they had made the fractions round off to the nearest 1/32". Then I have to call to ask them which number is right, and they take two days to get back to me, and wonder why their parts are late.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

A city wide blackout at Sat, 03 Jan 2004 09:18:27 GMT did not prevent Gunner from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The numeric answer is 42 (47 in Pomona). The non-numeric answer is "shopping".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

This thread reminds me of a discussion I was involved in a while ago.

During WW2, when the British needed more Merlin engines, because they could not keep up with demand, The contracted with an American company to make them, so the entire set of plans was converted from metric to standard, and the American company proceeded to make the engine.

Well when the American made engines were finished and tested, they produced several hundred more horsepower than the British made engines, despite being basically the same engine, just made to standard measurements verses the metric measurements of the original engines.

The best reason that anyone came up with, as to why they performed better than the original British engines, was because the American made engines were held to tighter tolerances than the British made engines.

Greg H.

Reply to
Greg and April

Interesting story, but I think at that time the british were not using metric fasteners or dimensions. I think they were english-based for dimensions, and probably whitworth for the fasteners.

The motors probably worked better because the electics were not made by lucas.

Jim

jim rozen

The market has already decided. With the exception of a few holdouts in the US, everyone uses metric. The only remaining question is: "How long will these slowpokes hold the rest of us back?"

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

Looks like more than one here has the same tastes in literature

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

Realistically, until most of the people who learned imperial units first, and still think they are better, die.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

No, Douglas Adams got it wrong. It must have been a transcription error. The correct answer was "49".

And the question was "how long will I live?".

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale