Metrication advocates are at it again

What kind of mile have _you_ got?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

But you'll never change the hobbyists over, with all their almost-free old Imperial tools and machines. And they'll never wear out in hobby use!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hmmm. I stick my finger in one of the holes on the WE Mod 300 deskset and rotate clockwise. How do you do it?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Long miles. If you want it in itty bitty statute miles, it would be 1.609 kilometers.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

OK, lets pick today and leave everything alone. Just declare the metric system to be a French plot to thumb their nose at the world and save all the money it would take to re-sign the roads, replace the gas pumps, etc.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Don't think of it as spending money. Think of it as creating jobs. Jobs that can't be shipped overseas.

Reply to
PhysicsGenius

Read your history Abrasha. The line ran through Paris.

"To obtain a standard of length a quadrant of the earth (one-fourth of a circumference) was surveyed from Dunkirk to Barcelona along the meridian that passes through Paris. The distance from the pole to the equator was divided into ten million parts to constitute the meter (spelled metre in some countries). "

Yes, experience with backwards stupid people.

Yes, and on my drafting table I use Freedom curves.

Just Say No to Metric and F the frenchies!

Reply to
Tony

In the 1960s, I knew several former Spitfire pilots. Worked with two of them. They all said that the Packard Merlin vibrated badly.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie

How about even longer ones, 1.852Km, called nautical miles.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

It was, and still is called "Imperial Measure". The word "Imperial" refers to the Roman Empire, not the British.

Steve R.

Reply to
Udie

Really retro. I'm saving one of those old black phones for when they become really valuable and/or cool. They even work with no power. But I punch buttons on the Siemens base station normally.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Western Electric model 102. Arguably the coolest desk set they ever made. I'm not counting the AA1 because there is exactly *zero* chance of me ever scoring one of those!

Jim

jim rozen

I have a couple of Mod 500 desksets, but most of my phones are Mod 300s. I like them because they're tough as hell. Even lightning normally doesn't bother them. Besides, why pay $2 a month to the phone company for TouchTone when they have to take extra actions to disable it. Heh, heh.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

What was going on in some or all states was a two number or four if in Texas and some others with day / night speeds.

The cost got high and simple replacement would take many years. The states actually took down the dual type so as not to confuse some people having a partial set.

Mart> Gary Coffman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Nautical miles not Statute miles :-)

Nautical is used on sea and air mileage sign posts !

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Nautical miles are 1.852 kilometers... :-)

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

I recall seeing some mile/klick signs here in California in the late

70s early 80s, they didnt last long.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

Think of how many MORE jobs would be created if AlQueda would start blowing up our bridges.

Reply to
Nick Hull

There are still some dual markings on I-5 (& I-8?) down near the Mexican border, IIRC.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
63,360 inches to a mile