mystery shaper

I looked at a shaper today that was advertised in the local paper. The owner bought it at a school auction several years ago. I examined the machine and could not find one identifying mark on it. It does have a

12 in. stroke and a table that will tilt. Any hints on what make of shaper this could be? I know the information is sparse but I don't know of any other special features that would set this machine apart from any other shaper. BTW this machine came out of a vo tech school in the southern US. I figure there couldn't be too many makers of shapers in this size range. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Baugher

Is this a bench-top model? If so, it could be one sold in kits, often to schools, back in the '30s through sometime in the '50s. It was sold partly machined. I had one that I gave away to a friend, but it was a decent little shaper.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (Douglas Baugher) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Could be a Simco

Reply to
Anthony

Picture is worth a thousand words. Can you take a picture and post it to the RCM Dropbox? Marty

snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net (Douglas Baugher) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

At 12" it's more than a kit or bench top shaper. There are a lot of makers that it could be.

Ask your question of the shapers newsgroup and you'll probably get your answer:

Or, look yourself at the shapers in the UK machine tool archive - it may be there. Concentrate on the US machines, though - from a school it's unlikely to be foreign:

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

I might go back later and take a camera. The owner wants 600 dollars for it and I am hesitant to go that high. I offered 400 for it initially. The shaper is in excellent condition but it is not under power currently. If I were to estimate the machine weight I think it weight easily 1500 lbs. This is based looking at the amount of cast iron there versus a Bridgeport J head size. Not exactly scientific but a decent SWAG. In response to Ed Huntress suggestion that it is a benchtop kit I would say that this machine is not a kit and it is defintley not benchtop in size. It is about double the size of a Logan 8 in. shaper.

Reply to
Douglas Baugher