OT: american politics

55 minutes into his address to congress, and for the first time he is, in my opinion, coming across as not only sane but presidential. Not sure what he's on, but make sure he has an uninterupted supply!!!! He has stayed on topic without any "raving" and divisiveness. Mabee I've misjudged the man - Let's hope so. We'll see.
Reply to
clare

That was his best speech ever. I'm not going to pick nits; let's see now what he does with all of those promises.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Early in the primary Newt Gingrich called Trump inexperienced in campaigning but the fastest learner he had ever seen. He has learned how to act the part of a leader.

So far he's been able to bluster through an opposition of impotent whiners and convince very capable, independent-minded people to join his administration. I was concerned that he wouldn't, like Carter.

I think his next real test will be how well he faces a foreign leader who is as strong and determined as he is. Kennedy failed it and we were lucky that Khrushchev didn't fully support or trust Castro and offered JFK a secret escape by trading his missiles in Cuba for ours in Turkey. The sycophant press somehow missed that part of the deal and trumpeted that JFK won.

Che Guevara, the chief proponent of the missiles, found himself leading a small guerilla band in the African jungle where he could no longer instigate a superpower crisis.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Or more factually he attempted a revolution in the Congo which failed. And subsequently tried the same thing in Bolivia which again failed, resulting in his execution.

Reply to
John B.

The CIA report I read on him suggested the Russians pressured Castro to sideline Guevara so they wouldn't to have to clean up after him. It mentions but doesn't confirm the rumor that "Tania" was sent to watch him..

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

No need to wait. It's impossible to keep impossible promises. One thing he talked about in the past that's doable is drug reimportation. A ridiculously easy thing if the GOP was serious. But they aren't, so it won't happen. Oh well, there's always veterinarian suppliers ready to sell to Trump voters.

Reply to
Sweet Jane

Quite possibly Che had become a political embarrassment. After all, he

during which quite a number of "war criminals", i.e., the other guys, were executed, after which he was dispatched on a three month visit of a number of smaller countries. Possibly an "out of sight, out of mind" sort of thing.

Reply to
John B.