OT: An intersting quandry from the French Quarter

Ah, it's his detractors' fault, eh? How come he's holding the brush?
The image is too true to life: the shrubbie in the corner, paint pot nearby, brush in hand. "Look what they did to me!"

He's also got his nose firmly jammed up the Saudi's butts.
Jim
please reply to:
jim rozen wrote:

His detractors increasingly include his republican brothers.
" Cracks You expect to hear Democratic criticism of the Karl Rove-George W. Bush production in Louisiana, and it came quickly last night: A few minutes after the president's speech ended, John Kerry said that Americans need "leadership that keeps them safe, not speeches in the aftermath to explain away the inexcusable."
What you don't expect to hear -- or at least you didn't until Bush's poll numbers began to make him look like a political liability -- is Republicans speaking out critically about the president's response to Katrina and his plan for rebuilding the Gulf Coast. But open your newspaper this morning, and that's exactly what you're going to see.
In the New York Times, Mickey Edwards, a former GOP congressman from Oklahoma, said Bush's speech missed the mark: "He was giving a speech as if the nation were disheartened and worried and had lost its spirit, but that's not what people were thinking. They were thinking, 'Why did the government screw up?'"
Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn -- last seen working a crossword puzzle during the confirmation hearings for John G. Roberts -- bristled at Bush's plan for a $200 billion reconstruction effort. "I don't believe that everything that should happen in Louisiana should be paid for by the rest of the country," Coburn told the Times. "I believe there are certain responsibilities that are due the people of Louisiana." South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint chimed in that "throwing more and more money without accountability . . . is not going to solve the problem."
As Jonathan Chait notes in the Los Angeles Times, Tom DeLay is complaining that there's no way to pay for a massive rebuilding effort along the Gulf Coast because there's not enough pork to be cut to cover the cost. "After 11 years of Republican majority," DeLay says, "we've pared [the budget] down pretty good." That doesn't sit well with Republicans who are still dreaming of a federal government so small that it could be drowned in a bathtub, and the intra-party fighting has begun.
Why are Republicans, who have spent the better part of five years marching in lockstep with their president, suddenly going sideways on him? Part of it is the president's unpopularity, and part of it is that Bush is -- relatively speaking -- a short-timer. He needs to put on a big show of helping the Gulf Coast to recover from his stumbling performance in the early days of the disaster, but he'll be enjoying his retirement on Trent Lott's new porch by the time the bill comes due. Members of Congress will have to deal with the financial ramifications down the line -- especially if they ignore them now -- and they aren't necessarily happy about picking up the tab then to get Bush out of a jam now. As one senior House Republican official tells the Times, "We are not sure he knows what he is getting into." "
--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

They got the bathtub thing - seen the poster?
Delay's gonna have his own troubles soon enough.

Awful fast from mandate, to lame duck, eh?
Jim
please reply to:
Gunner wrote:

Can't even get that one right, can you.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

If he refuses to leave it is doubtful the NG will force the issue. If they do, and the place burns down as he is leaving the fire insurance should cover it.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Heh. That's tinfoil hat territory my friend. Though, the answer is probably a resounding 'yes.' Like gunner said about them in Iraq, they're the only game in town and they're best able to do the job....
LOL.
Jim
please reply to:
jim rozen wrote:

But Halliburton needed an American port to offload all the oil that's disappeared from Iraq. Clearing out all the insubordinate people was a bonus, I'm sure. Clearly Halliburton is acting in America's interests in bringing the oil here - surely it'd be easier to just sell it on the world market and transfer the cash.
Pete

What authority does the CHP have in New Orleans? Were they arresting people who refused to leave?
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Yep. As I understand it all volunteer law enforcement personnel have been deputized and given arrest powers. Only the regular Army personnel don't qualify under Posse Comitatus.
What made it worse was that the CHP guys had that take no shit attitude that they use at home that just does not go over well with the laid back New Orleans folks.
BTW, The Posse Comitatus Act was one of the reasons why the Governor wouldn't relinquish control to the feds. It would have taken policing powers away from the National Guard, eliminated her power to deputize volunteer law enforcement personnel and put all the load back on the NOPD and Federal Marshals. The attempt to seize power was not very well thought out by the White House.
If the Shrub had a hair on his ass he would have flown to Baton Rouge Tuesday morning and started acting like that kick ass Cajun General that finally started making some sense of the situation.
--
Glenn Ashmore

Did I see it wrong on the news or did I see the army handcuffing peaceful citizens and taking away the guns they needed to protect their homes? Do I need to boycott the army or just Louisiana?
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull wrote:

I heard on the news, the army was helping with voluntary evacuees. They supposedly would have nothing to do with those that intend to resist, leaving that to Natioanl Guard and other law enforcement.
Jon
Hey, Glen, while I dont necessarily agree with your politics, I did follow the link in your tag line to see your project on the cutter. Very nice project, and what I see is impressive. Good work on that. That is the beauty of this country. We can agree to disagree, and know one has to go to prision for it.

Didn't you hear - Habit-tat is coming in with Jimmy C. and going to build thousands of homes - given sponsors...
Crafts people move to jobs all the time. When living in Ca. many would go to Florida for a year or two and then return. Migrant worker with Hurricanes.
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

-
Regarding a rebuilder - Halliburton isn't the best suited - even for Iraq - They have people that are Arab and have worked the region with others.
But this company builds cities from scratch and does world class work.
http://www.bechtel.com /
Martin [ no connection with Bechtel in any way other than knowing they are fine. ] Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

-
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

The Government? FEMA? Dept. of Homeland (In)Security? Dubya?
Take your pick.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

Who will pay? None of the above ;)