OT - Boat Transport

This is off-topic, but this group is full of about the most knowledgeable people I have ever seen - and it does invlove moving a large object full of mechanical parts so........

I need to ship a 23 foot powerboat across the country, from New Hampshire to Oregon. The boat is on a trailer, but I would prefer to have it trucked or rail shipped. Anyone with any recommendations, hints, or places to avoid? Any ball park of what this might cost? If it's much over $2000 I will probably just bag the idea. I have googled "boat transport", but I'm more interested in "real world" experiences.

thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Try rec.boats, you will get an immediate and good quality answer.

Ignoramus29446

Well, if you can load a 18" swing lathe in the cabin.....

Reply to
Rex B

This may not help but I have a motorcycle magazine from the 1950s with an article about a man and his wife who towed a quite large boat from Montreal all the way to Alaska, By motorcycle.

Reply to
daniel peterman

google search terms Backloaded and Deadheading

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Having been involved in transporting a 36 foot powerboat across a mere three states from California, two years ago, the cheapest price i could find was over $5000. And this boat had to be loaded on the the tractor/trailer by a crane :-) I suspect the trailer and boat would also have to be loaded by crane, or else some exciting work with a block and tackle, but the same size tractor/trailer. Take advatntage of the fact that it's on a trailer already, hire somebody else to drive it to Oregon? Good luck, happy boating in the Pacific Richard in Los Angeles

Reply to
rmedway

Mike,

Contact Brownell in Mattapoisett, MA. They are experts in moving all kind of boats to all kinds of places. (They also manufacture boat trailers used in boatyards and jackstands too.)

Eide

Reply to
Eide