OT - Citibank Credit Card Scam?

FYI - just got an email asking me (nicely) to verify my Citibank Citicard account numbers and PIN for their records. This smacks of an Internet scam - I don't have a Citibank Citicard. Be careful - very careful out there.

Regards,

Marv (Non Citicorp customer)

Reply to
Marv Soloff

I got one a while back, supposedly from Bank of America.

The dead give away, (besides the fact that I am not a B of A patron) was that they misspelled "Customer Service" in the email address.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Send a copy of the message to Citibank and to the sender's ISP.

Reply to
John Ings

I've recently received similar emails purporting to be from ebay ("Please update your e-Bay [sic] account") and paypal ("Paypal official notice"). In both cases, a GIF image was included in the body of the message, and the GIF images were images of text and a hyperlink. I imagine if your mail reader did HTML (mine doesn't), the images would look like they were actually the text of the message, but it you clicked on the area of the image with the hyperlink, you would actually be clicking on a link with a different address underneath the image that would no doubt take you to a site that looks like ebay's or paypal's site. In the case of the paypal message, the text in the GIF said that paypal periodically reviews accounts and yours has been placed on "restricted status" because at least one credit card "has been unconfirmed", so you need to follow this link to complete the credit card verification process. All in all, a simple but clever scam that no doubt has pulled in a few unsuspecting marks. Yet another reason to avoid HTML-enabled readers.

Bert

Marv Soloff wrote:

Reply to
Bert

I think I have your scam beat. I have had a few that say that I have been fined $234.56 for being "a child pronographer or software pirate" and "please enter you credit card # and pin so the fine can be paid." Right, sure... Ken

Reply to
Ken Vale

Not worth the effort, at least not with Citibank. I tried that a couple of months ago. Citibank didn't even bother to acknowledge receipt of my message.

PayPal OTOH replied within a few hours and verified that it was indeed a false message that should be ignored.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I've done business with Citicorp over the past 20 years. They are so big, they really can't accomodate one person - there is simply not the machinery for one-to-one communications. Nice people though, at Ely Street.

Regards,

Marv

Keith Marshall wrote:

Reply to
Marv Soloff

I don't have a CitiBank card either, but not for their lack of trying. Must get about 600 lbs of junk mail from them every year, trying to get me on board. I've taken to sending it all back to them in their self adressed reply envelopes, and even throwing a bit of other junk mail in for good measure. Hope some of it ends up on their doorstep "postage due".

Reply to
clare

Been doing that for years, sometimes write, "only a bunch of stupid bastards would continue sending me return envelopes". Took micro$oft about ten letters to get the idea. They wanted me to subscribe to tech support for VB, no connection between their "fee" and reality. Not surprised.

Link on the paypal scam doesn't work, not a problem.

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

That could be how to keep the postage increases in check. Send overweight pre-paid envelopes and let the junk-mailers pay. And all I have been doing is sending their own crap back.

michael

Reply to
michael

Right - only the hasmat grade stuff!

Mart>

Reply to
Eastburn

Karl Vorwerk scribed in :

what about a fine white powder in that envelope?

don't leave any fingerprints!

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU