OT- Did the Prez lie about WMD?

We ain't done yet, Gunner. We just started on a large stock near Pine Bluff, Arkansas. It's been all over the papers around here, but nobody else has heard much about it, apparently. Nerve gas, mostly. Thousands of tons of the stuff.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

The economy began to decline when the Justice Dept started dropping the hammer on Microsoft. All that talk about monopolies spooked the stock market and the big crash began. I remember that day telling some of my co workers that it was time to get real about the stock market and the way people had been borrowing money to buy stocks. Stocks are not assets that appreciate forever. Its easy to forget this in the good times. You are gambling that say Oracle will have a good year. What the hell does Oracle even make? Just an example of the reason our economy got so far out of kilter. In my opinion we need to start actually making things again or just accept that living a little lower is OK.

Reply to
dann mann

And lo, it came about, that on Sun, 12 Oct 2003 06:33:27 GMT in misc.survivalism , Gunner was inspired to utter:

I'm fully prepared to accept that the Iraqi government destroyed the chemical, nuclear and biological weapons on their own. But I would be very concerned that these very hazardous, toxic and environmentally degrading materials had been just "dumped" someplace and not handled in a safe and sane manner. When the Iraqi's destroyed these chemical stocks, did they do it in a safe manner, or just pour them in a sewer? Truly concerned people would like to know that.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

There you go again with that "whom" thingy. Abrasha

Abrasha

Ed,

I don't know if you or someone else posted the above statement (a problem with long running threads sometimes) and I don't profess to be any kind of economics expert but this statement is incorrect.

GW Bush was elected in November 2000, and inaugrated on Jan 20, 2001. March

2001 is 2 months after, not "more than a year."

Mike Eberlein

Reply to
mikee

So Agent Orange was never used in Vietnam???????, Vietnamese people and Yank Grunts never got poisened by Chemical defoliants dropped and sprayed by trhe USAF.

Gunner my much vaunted and greatly respected friend I think you are telling me fibs ???

Reply to
The Rifleman

Just thinking about the US army and its deliberate infecting of certain black troops with syphalis as well???

And yes I agree our country aint perfect either but we are not trying to claim the moral highground, america is.

Reply to
The Rifleman

I rest my case Gunner?? , and you owe me a crate of beer :o)

Reply to
The Rifleman

You were saying Gunner old chap :o)

Reply to
The Rifleman

It's only fair to blame Bush. If the economy were booming, the same Bush sycophants that are crying foul Bush when is blamed for the poor economy would be praising him for the booming economy.

Dick

Reply to
D.B.

I'm sure you're right about that, Dick, but it doesn't help understanding to toss out blame. What happened to our economy during the '90s was unpredictable and unprecedented. We got a few things right that we'd never done right before (such as controlling money supply to control inflation and wage pressures), and a few things happened because of unpredicted technological developments (IT-based productivity improvements), and the unknowns that resulted were largely uncontrollable -- because no one knew how to control them. So, the economy overheated and it led to a bust.

It's happened dozens of times before. The policymakers got it more right than not. Much of the downside occurred despite policies, not because of them.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I don't give a shit about the media. They can go piss up a rope for all I care. But GWB will be in tough, tough shape if he as to try for re-election with so many folks unemployed in the US right now.

Take away all the WMD crap, Take away all the Iraq war costs, Take away all the soldier's families, Take away all the Haliburton stuff, Take away all the Patriot Act nonsense, Take away the gas price increases,

That's all a tiny drop in the bucket if most of his voters who who otherwise be siding with him, are out of work. That 'center' part of the US you always talk about.

Jim

jim rozen

business cycle. The silliness started when someone said five or six years ago that business cycles were a thing of the past. Obviously, they're not.>

The New Econony? I haven't been following this thread but this sounds a bit like the 1920's. "We have entered a period of perpetual properity".

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Ha! Yeah, I saw something recently that said our stock market is on an upswing, and things haven't looked so good since 1928.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You have that backwards, J. The irony is the part where the guys who spent 12 years looking still claimed that all they needed was more time....when fourteen years said it wasn't working.

ral

Reply to
Richard Lewis

And lo, it came about, that on Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:16:32 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking , "Ed Huntress" was inspired to utter:

As i said in 1993, when I was told the Bush Recession had been ended by Clinton's policies, what exactly had he done to cause the recession to end? Amazing how the Bush recession ended the month that Clinton was elected, three months before he could present a budget, and 11 months before his proposed budget would have taken place.

Ah well, the good men do is oft interred with their bones.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Saying what? That we have huge stockpiles of BC that we are destroying? Of course, and thats been no secret.

Your question was?

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

Agent orange was not considered a war chemical. It was also used in several other countries for what it was intended for..a defoliant, and as such, was not considered a antipersonnel device as all the other war gases and bio agents are.

That's like saying gasoline was a chemical agent....

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

That never happened. We did however allow individuals already infected to continue to be infected as we tracked the course of their disease. Still a terrible thing however.

At which time in which part of our history? Your history is rotten with horrible things as well. Perhaps indeed far more than ours, so if you wish to define todays US with bad shit that happened 50 yrs ago..shall we discuss similar situations with the UK?

Gunner

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

Nobody listens to me.

1) if it happens on that president's watch, it's his fault/responsibility/good fortune.

2) politicians cannot influence the economy.

3) each political party wants to a) blame the other one when something bad happens to the economy, or b) take credit for good things.

4) taking credit or laying blame can be done by parties in office, or those not in office. Just takes a bit more hand waving to take credit for a good thing if your party is out of office when it happens, or blaming the other one if you are in office when it happens. Ie, 'it's *clinton's* recession...'

5) absence of EB and SC as noted before.

Jim

jim rozen