OT - Gunner Quote

Read it for yourself at:

Abrasha

Oh, I almost forgot, the quote was also part of "Quotations of Chairman Mao" (The Red Book). Which is where I got it.

It's in Chapter 5: War and Peace

Abrasha

Abrasha

Thanks, Mike

State Constitution 1776 III. As the happiness of a people, and the good order and preservation of a civil government, essentially depend upon piety, religion and morality; and as these cannot be generally diffused through a Community, but by the institution of the public Worship of God, and of public instructions in piety, religion and morality: Therefore, to promote their happiness and to secure the good order and preservation of their government, the people of this Commonwealth have a right to invest their legislature with power to authorize and require, and the legislature shall, from time to time, authorize and require, the several Towns, parishes, precincts and other bodies politic, or religious societies, to make suitable provision, at their own Expense, for the institution of Public worship of God, and for the support and maintenance of public protestant teachers of piety, religion and morality, in all cases where such provision shall not be made voluntarily.

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

I've heard it translated as "out of the barrel of a gun grows political power", which is really quite different from *ALL* political power grows from the barrel of a gun.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That translation does add a beauty and power to the statement.

"That religion, or the duty which we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, and not by force or violence, and therefore all men, have an equal, natural and unalienable right to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience, and that no particular religious sect or society ought to be favoured, or established by law in preference to others. Rhode Island Constitution 1776

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

Mao's army had guns, and power, before Mao took over the Chinese government. And armed American individuals do have power. If that wasn't so, gun controllers wouldn't be so anxious to disarm them.

-- Robert Sturgeon, proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy and the evil gun culture.

Reply to
Robert Sturgeon

[ Here's a chart, taken almost directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It shows the month-to-month change in total employment, and how it fell from an average gain of 236,000 during the Clinton presidency to an average loss of 66,000 per month under George Bush. (The chart shows payroll jobs, averaged over three months.) The arrow, which I added, shows when Bush took office.

Economic numbers don't get more clear than this ]

See

Cliff Huprich

Looks to me as though it was taking a dive well before Clinton left office. Who's fault was that? Bush, whom I'm not too wild about, inherited a situation already going downhill. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Ive got plenty of power. 200 amps at the pole.

Define power.

Its not surprising you would quote a Communist responsible for the deaths of 75 million people.

Gunner

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age... I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity, bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity, fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We *assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation to keep the State out of the church business, we've destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*. Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

Reply to
Gunner

I wouldn't trust any translation that sounded like good English ... Spehro's sounds more accurate to me, but I'd have to go buy a little red book to know for sure. I got one to send to gunner, but Garibaldi probably forgot to mail it, No biggy :-)

Anyway, the statement is kinda obvious. Would anyone pay the IRS if they didn't have guns ?

Reply to
Excitable Boy

"notice when the deep dive ends. That's right: It was just after Sept. 11,

2001. It's true that President Bush ought not to be blamed for the job losses of the Internet bust. But neither can he properly blame his troubles on Osama bin Laden: Job losses slowed down when the war on terror began. Bush should be judged on the record after that -- on the creation of jobs in 2002 and 2003. After all, the recession officially ended in November 2001. How many new jobs did we get since then? An average loss of 22,000 jobs every month. notice when the deep dive ends. That's right: It was just after Sept. 11, 2001. It's true that President Bush ought not to be blamed for the job losses of the Internet bust. But neither can he properly blame his troubles on Osama bin Laden: Job losses slowed down when the war on terror began.

[...]

J. R. Carroll

Why?

The "Red Book" is only a book of quotations from many sources of Mao's writings. The title is in fact "Quotations of Chairman Mao". Nothing original in it.

Abrasha

Abrasha

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:36:26 GMT, Sue brought forth from the murky depths:

How about a show of hands? Does anyone here on wreck.metal feel that the Shr^H^H^HPresident is doing a good job? I see 66% approval rates for Dubya but don't know -anyone- who agrees. How about here?

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:55:50 GMT, "J. R. Carroll" brought forth from the murky depths:

It DID? Despite the extremely loud sucking sound in the treasury to support the security acts and a couple new wars?

Yes, but he gave amnesty to millions of illegals so they can continue to work here. That helps unemployed Americans, doesn't it? :-/

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, in this ng you will most likely find that the majority approves of him and the job he is doing. And I have a feeling that in this ng, his approval rating is well over 66%.

Abrasha

Abrasha

The bitch about the war going bad, until it started getting better. Then they bitch about the economy being bad, until it started getting better. Now the economy is rapidly recovering, they'll bitch about unemployment until it gets better, then they will find something else to whine about.

You Leftwingers are just just ankle biters.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

Ahem. He has put forward a suggestion. Economists tend to think it's a good idea, since it will increase the net benefit to the US economy from the presence of itinerant workers (the benefit is there already, but it is limited by the inability to tax the work, and by the load on the economy of illegals who are between jobs, but don't go home because of the dangers of later re-entry). I'll be very much suprised if it ever becomes reality, though. He won't get it through Congress.

Also, it probably wouldn't be millions, and it's not so they can continue to work there -- they'll do that, anyway. It's to actively control and regulate the situation, and to maximize the benefit to the USA. (As usual when it comes to the opening up of an economy, there would be a net benefit on both sides, which is why GWB is suddenly on such friendly terms with his Mexian counterpart, of course.)

In the long run, it probably would, at that.

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

I think Bush & Co. are doing a marvelous job. There are some things I dont like...but all and all.

[...]

Hey. NOW... dont be insulting my dog and associating her with these scuzzies...LOL

Later, Mike

Greatest Salesmen on Earth Man discovers the effects of God's handiwork; names it, measures it, makes up little images, constantly adjust the measurements, constantly updating the images, finally admits an image is not possible because what where thought to be particles are waves, but has already put it in a science book and sold it to millions of children as fact.

Reply to
Santa Cruz Mike

Imagine that, people complaining about war, the economy, unemployment, runaway deficit spending, etc. Standards used to be higher - if only we could return to those days when sophisticated folks had something worthwhile to comment on, like interns under desks.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk