OT - Gunner Quote

It looks even funnier from the outside. Over here, we have about a dozen political parties, ranging from the Norwegian Communist Party on the left, to the Progress Party on the (far) right. Big parties in the center are the Conservative Party, the Worker's Party, and the Christian Democrats. The latter now lead a coalition government, so our current Prime Minister is a priest. Political debates can get heated, certainly, but there is healthy respect for differing opinions.
Seen from our point of view, your Democrats and Republicans are very similar, both representing a conservative, mostly libertarian view. In fact, Gore Vidal's characterization seems apt: he claims that you have a single political party, with two right wings. ;-)
In light of this, the level of enmity displayed by adherents to each seems downright comical to us. I can only assume that the people who spew the vitriol are extremists, and not representative of the average American. Certainly, the impression conveyed in news media, and in online fora like this one, does not match my own experience from two years living in the USA.

I know! I know! Regime change! Uh, wait a minute... ;-)
-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901
writes:

You don't usually see guys like strabo and Strider during the week. They show up on Saturdays and Sundays, when they're home on a weekend pass.
Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

:)
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

Got rope?
Gunner
"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later convinces himself." David Friedman

If so, then go to:
"got funny white costumes with pointy hats and hoods?"
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com ================================================

The Nuremburg Trials were held by the Klan? Interesting world you live in Jim.
Actually..lynching is a Democrat staple. One only has to look at the South for many examples. You are aware that the vast majority of the Klan has historicaly been Democrats? Hummm lets look at some Democrat Governors shall we?
Lester Maddox Georg Wallace Patterson Conners
Seems the Republicans, despite the active resistance of the Democrats, managed to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1968. Robert Kennedy wiretapped, survailed, tracked and besmirched Dr. King. Which Democrat President freed the slaves? Lincoln was a Republican.
On a note closer to my heart..the roots of gun control in the US was created by Democrats making sure blacks were unable to defend themselves from the night riders.
Climb down from your ivory tower Jim..and admit your bias and core racism.
Gunner
"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later convinces himself." David Friedman

Yeah, it was all those liberal Democrats who populated the Klan.
Gunner, are you getting into word magic, or do you think anyone is so stupid that they don't recognize what you're doing here? As for those moderate Republicans, primarily Ev Dirksen, who pushed through the CVA (it was 1964, BTW, not 1968), I thought you said that moderate Republicans are RINOs?
So, which is it, are you now saying that you've come to realize that southern Democrats actually were right-wing conservatives, which is true (and they're almost all Republicans now, having converted during the '70s and '80s), and that real Republicans are actually pro-civil-rights moderates, which also is true?
BTW, where was your usual <spit!> when you mentioned Abe Lincoln? <g>
Ed Huntress A Dirksen Republican since 1980
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:48:42 GMT, "Ed Huntress"

Hey..just using a page from the Demonrat playbook. Argue using the best possible spin or the worst possible spin, depending on who and what youa are arguing with.
Its worked fine for 40 + yrs with the Demonrats..so why bitch?
Gunner
"As my father told me long ago, the objective is not to convince someone with your arguments but to provide the arguments with which he later convinces himself." David Friedman

You don't seem to get it.
I suggest that lynching is bad, no matter who does it. Equating the members of a political party with 'evil' is only a short step away from an "end justifies the means" approach to solving your political issues by lynching somebody.
You want to hang democrats. Other folks want to tie gays to a pickup truck and drag 'em. Tie on a dynamite jacket and go out marketing maybe. Fill in the blanks ad nauseum.
I wasn't so much talking politics there as I pointing out (yet again, sigh - even it it was to a different person) that if you view the world through black/white glasses, and the only kind of paint you have is checkered black/white, then you are pretty limited in your approach to difference or conflict.
In spite of the fact that such a person has a warm, comfortable, fuzzy feeling when they think about themselves, they're gonna be sorely disapointed and quite upset when they have to walk around amongst the rest of the population. The only way it really works is if you sit in your own private unibomber cabin forever - even that's been shown to have its drawbacks too though.
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com ================================================
Strider wrote:

You haven't backed that up, not to mention that your claim was that *I* was the one suing, which you *can't* back up, because you made it up.

Once again, let's see a cite where I'm advocating forcing you to do anything. Is there an echo in here?

LOL I can see the veins in your neck... I think you're gonna' blow any minute! I'd watch Jeopardy if Bush was on it. Better yet Ben Stein's Money, where shrub could wear the pointy hat for the whole episode.
Wayne

I said you people, that would be you gaggle of leftwing loons.
You know damn well what lawsuits I'm talking about.

It's what liberals do.

Bush would do better than any of that leftwing freak circus trying to get nominated.
Strider

I wasnt paying attention............
This about Bill Gates again ???
--

SVL

Did you make me spill my coffee?
--
Cliff

Strider wrote:

Oh man, even the most diehard partisan rightwingnut should know better than to claim a shrub victory on Jeopardy, even if it was against grade eighters. He's afraid to hold news conferences for cryin' out loud.
Wayne

Ah well he was probably a liberal anyway, a sub-human. Just one more person to hate.
Jim

yourself.
Ah, the sound of Strider's brains falling on the floor. It doesn't make much noise, but it sure puts up a stink.
Speaking of which, when you get around to that enema, don't forget that Home Depot rents power washers.
Ed Huntress
Strider wrote:

LOL This whole plonking business is goofy. Why would anyone care who you read, or who you don't? Is he supposed to be insulted? But if you're going to plonk someone, and want to make a big deal of it, I think you're supposed to say "massive plonk" or some such. Plink makes it seem like you're a dismal typist, speller or proof reader, take your pick. Either that or you're a girly boy.
Wayne