Another OT death

Maybe not so well known outside of the US as Marilyn Chambers was, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, former Detroit Tiger baseball pitcher, was found dead under his dump truck. Fidrych was known for talking to the ball when pitching and hand grooming the pitcher's mound, among other quirky behavior which made him a favorite among all baseball fans.

Reply to
willshak

I'd heard about this one too...they come in threes, right?..

Reply to
Rufus

And one of the last remnants of the age when the amiable goofs still outnumbered the *ssh*les in baseball.

Reply to
tomcervo

never heard of him but i'm not a sports guy. if he was quirky and odd, it's a shame he died. well, you know what i mean.

Reply to
someone

that's ramans.

Reply to
someone

he was active in the 20's?

Reply to
someone

te:

When you Rendevous with noodles?

Reply to
eyeball

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:%OcFl.187534$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-02.dc.easynews.com:

'70s, I believe. I'm not a sports fan either but it amazes me how much I know about some of these things. I recall how people used to talk about his weird antics.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

the 70's kinda blew by me until 76, the birth of american punk rock. started in 74 in england. long before sony, i had invented the walkman. it was a mono battery cassette recorder, about paperback book size, with a lantern 6 volt battery to power it and a pair of senheiser open air headphones. clipped the battery to my belt, held the unit still and off i went. got lots of stares on the subway but it cranked and drowned out reality. wish i had a picture, no one believes it. cynical mofos.

Reply to
someone

this sure took a long time to show up.

Reply to