OT: Hey Jim Rozen as per pics of "phone" in your shop lol

Jim I was perusing thru the gallery files of your shop and others in metalworking.com hey Gimme that rotary phone! I'm sorta a phone nut even though I've kept myself out of buying lots of them. I keep a rotary phone in my garage at all times. People who come over love it. :) So do I have to post my own picture? :) Reno, Paul

Reply to
Paul

That's a western electric 'space saver':

I couldn't find a nice example all the years I'd been looking so broke down and purchased that one from Phoneco:

but the links seems a bit slow right at the moment. They have some neat stuff. I put that space saver there because the damn phone always rings when I'm washing up at the sink, and I got tired of traipsing across the shop, trailing suds.

The 'real' phone in the shop is now a western electric 102, which I consider to be possibly the best looking device they ever made.

Jim

jim rozen

Hey Jim.

Even nicer older one in . That's the first kind of "city" phone I recall.

But my question is, what is the "pump" looking thingy on the wall(??) in the photo, well below and slightly right of the telephone, and seems to be perched on the Hardinge collet lever. Probably something to do with air, but what?

Take care.

Brian Laws>>>

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Oh, that's a two cylinder oil-less air compressor. If you follow the copper pipe out of the water separator, it goes up past the phone, and enters the crawl space, and tees out into the rest of the shop.

I bought that compressor years ago, used, with the idea that when it died, I'd get another one. It's pretty basic, doesn't even have a pressure switch so I just turn it on by hand when the tank farm gets low.

But of course that thing seems to be lasting forever.

Jim

jim rozen