OT - High Praise for the US

But we must do better ...

The United States is third behind China and Iran in total executions.

But for the kiddies ... the US & Iran it seems ..

"The USA is the only country which openly acknowledges executing child offenders and claims for itself the right to do so under international law."

Don't you just feel all warm & fuzzy inside when the shrub talks about killing people? Recall Texas? Recall Iraq & Afghanistan ... he heard the voices telling him to kill ... you can just see the good old-time "family values" fundie & winger blood lust oozing out .....

Carpe Winger Blogger!!

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I still remember when Bush got caught mocking the reportedly quite sincere Christian conversion of a Texas woman on death row, just before he had her killed. "`Please,' Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, `don't kill me,' " It certainly makes me wonder what is really in his heart, and not just on his sleeve, when it comes to his claimed "Christian values."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann

The problem is not our good intentions, rather the lack of bad guys. If we had more murderers, there would be more executions.

In other words, the system works.

Reply to
Daven Thrice

This was the gal that buried a pick ax a dozen times in an old mans chest, as he lay there saying.."please, dont kill me".

Sounds like Bush was paying back an over due debt.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman Liebmann

Reply to
Gunner

Nice spin, but I didn't question her guilt or sentence. My comment was only about Bush's boorish comment and what it implies about the sincerity of his supposed religious faith.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann

Having read the entire K.J. version of the Bible, I cannot recall any prohibition concerning heckling a convicted murderer. Perhaps your version is different, likely a more "Progressive" version, so please point out the specific text.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

desperation,

Yeah, just like the those who heckled Jesus on the way to the Cross. Good choice for role models.

I said that he was boorish, and I think his boorishness speaks poorly of his supposed Christian faith, nonetheless, the Bible does address those who mock believers:

And Jesus prayed, "I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. (John 17:14)

"He who mocks the poor shows contempt for their Maker" (Proverbs 17:5)

There are many others, but I try not to get into religious arguments. If Bush's mocking of a Christian woman facing death for her crimes is a good example to you of how Christians ought to behave, that's your problem, and I'll leave you to it. Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann

As far as I can tell, Jesus was a political and religous dissident, but I've never heard him accused of murder.

Neither of these address convicted murderers.

Not being a Christian, I personally have no problem with those who might doubt a jail house religious conversion.

Is your middle initial "G" for gullible?

Strider

Reply to
Strider

Jesus was condemned to death and on his way to face his execution. In that way, he was just like the woman Bush was mocking. Would Jesus have treated her with mockery, do you think? Would he have approved of others doing so? Do you think he would have made excuses for others doing so, just because the mocked (alleged) believer was, in fact, a murderer?

Um, they directly address the mocking (a form of hate) of believers, and the poor. The woman was allegedly a believer, and certainly poor in all but faith, assuming arguendo, that she had it.

Doubt is one thing, mocking is another.

"A" for astute ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann

Jesus isn't running for President.

She wasn't being "mocked" for being poor, only for her jailhouse conversion.

OK, I have no problem with mocking murderers who profess a jailhouse conversion.

At least your parents had high hopes for you.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

Don't be disingenuous. Bush mocked her for not wanting to be killed. It was boorish, childish and un-Christian of him to do so. It just amazes me how fast you guys will tap-dance all over the place to avoid the real issue. What fools you are. What difference does it make whether her conversion was sincere or not? None at all, at least in terms of Bush's contemptable behavior and your pitiful attempt to justify it.

Fine. Bush's behavior was mature and statesmanlike then, a shining example of what one should expect from a professed Christian and high elected official charged with the awesome responsibility of signing death warrants, is that it?

At least I post under the name my parents gave me, like a man, standing up for what I beleive in and behind what I say, instead of cowering behind the skirt of a pseudonym, unwilling to be publicly responsible for my own words.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann
***snip***

Just as I am amazed at the lame attempts of you leftwing loons to make an issue where none exists, as if anyone really gives a rat's ass that Bush mocked a convicted murderer.

Get real. Get a life or get the f*ck back under the proch.

I've used the same name for many years. The email is valid. I can be easily tracked.

BTW. Go f*ck yourself.

Strider

Reply to
Strider

You wingnuts on the Right only trot out that "compassionate conservatism" stuff about once every for years to manipulate the gullible. Thinking people already know there are is a very long list of things and people you NeoMorons don't give "a rat's ass" about, but should, starting with the character of your leading puppet. You buy into whatever you are told, hook, line and sinker. How gullible and irresponsible can you be? At least you do your master's bidding well, slavishly ignoring all the things they'd rather no one think or ask about.

Sounds good (when you lifted it from others), but what is it supposed to mean? "Ignore that man behind the curtain, I am the great and powerful OZ"? You know I'm right, so your last line of defense is "no one cares about that, anyway." Real good work there, Strider.

Then why not use your real name? Ashamed? Family plead with you not to further embarrass them? Outstanding warrants? Skipping out on child support? What?

Nope. I don't have your nasty habits, Strider. No wonder you can't recognize boorish and immature conduct in others. it's right down at your own level.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann
[...]

I got to meet Bush when he was governor. He came across as a prick. OTOH, most of the evangelicals I've met--even though they're a little high-strung--have been extremely kind.

Reply to
B.B.

Has your opinion changed over time? It's funny, but although I really don't respect Bush, I always kinda thought I might like him personally. At least, I've always heard that he was quite likeable in person.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann

I've not had another chance to meet him. However, his behavior in public today appears the exact same as it did back then, so I'll assume he's still the same in private as he was back then. Given the way he has his public appearances screened so tightly I'd say I'm right. If he had to deal with a real argument he'd probably come off as a prick again. Back in high school, getting ready to head off to college I was in Austin and I decided to poke around the capital. One of the state reps was my elementary school principal and I wanted to see if I could find him. I couldn't, but I did happen to be in the hall with Bush and a few other random folks. I don't remember what the conversation was that went on, I only remember coming away thinking "What an asshole."

Reply to
B.B.

Was it bush that had her killed??? or was it the judge/jury/Texas State Legislature, or, her own actions???

The slant in your comment leaves me with no doubt as to what is in your heart-with respect to Mr. Bush....

Hondo

Reply to
Jerry Jeff Walker

Thank you. That was my intention, Sir.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey McCann

And later publicly stated that she experienced an almost "orgasmic pleasure" watching the man die.

-- Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady

What does that have with his christianity? I don't quite see how you are spinning a little old fashion eye for an eye vengeance into this.