OT: home networking

(Nick, I'm timing you to see how long till the OT policeman comments)

I have a DSL modem and router to get internet and network at my place. My sister-in-law asked me to set up the same thing when I visit this weekend. So, I want to record my set up.

I remember the "trick" was reconfiguring the DSL modem to talk with a router instead of a computer. A big part of that trick was talking to the modem with the router in between the computer and the modem. I tried telnet

192.168.1.1 and telnet 192.168.2.1 - no response.

How do I talk to the DSL modem? Does anyone know what settings need changing?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

If you call me policeman, is it OK to call you criminal?

Well, it's like always. Wrong address (routers are normally found at xxxx or yyyy), and wrong news-group. How do you managed to find home?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Karl,

I installed a router a couple of years ago to allow for another PC in the back of the house. I've since torn it down and sold the router, but I don't recall any problems getting the router to talk to my (wide band) modem. It seems that everything went according to the instructions that came with the router. AFAIK, an ADSL modem shouldn't care if it's feeding a PC directly or talking to more than 1 PC over a router.

Bob Swinney "Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:458150fb$0$28822$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Karl,

http://192.168.1.1/ works a for Linksys WRT54 via Seamonkey or IE

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Benysek

On my setup (Verizon DSL modem) you don't ever talk to the modem. The trick is using a crossover cable between the modem and the router.

I think.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Don't know if this will help but my Cable modem, a Motorola Surfboard Responds to 192.168.100.1.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

If you use tracert you can see the hops to some known location.

For example: tracert

The first address will be your own pc's gateway(ie the router) The next will probably be the "outside" port of your router. the next will be your modem The next will be your ISP The next will be xxx

Reply to
jw

The standard approach is:

  • Get a manual from the manufacturers
  • Reset hardware according to manual, to return to factory state
  • Set up according to instructions
Reply to
Ignoramus31595

Just because I want to annoy the OT police too....

you typically only configure the router. The DSL modem is mostly "black box" Depending on your router you *should* be able to access it at

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 You do this through a web browser not a telnet clent. just type in http://192.168.0.1 in the browser address line. this will get the proper electrons goin through the copper wire (metal content) to the router - from there you should be able to configure the settings T

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
surftom

What's worked for me is to configure the WAN side of the router to use DHCP client mode to get the ip,netmask,gateway from the DSL modem then use DHCP server mode on the router LAN side to give out the router's ip, etc to the client computers connected to it.

You may not have to do anything to the DSL modem.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If your DSL model uses PPPOE, the router gets set up for PPPOE with the usewr name and password normally entered in the access software on the PC and the computer gets set up to automatically detect all settings - then it is simply "plug and play" I'm not aware of any DSL using anything other than PPPOE.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

That talks to the router - not the modem.

I'd use a browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/ This way you can find out the IP address of the DSL modem. It will be outgoing network connection.

Then connect to that device - if you need to.

I have a cable modem, and my router has an "In" port and 4 "out ports"

A regular Ethernet cable goes between the In port and the modem.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I used tracert as someone cleverly suggested to check outgoing hops. Packets go directly from my router to one of my ISP's machines. No IP address for the cable modem. So not every cable modem is independently addressable.

GWE

Bruce Barnett wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You connect the DSL modem to the "WAN" port on your router. The router will figure out how to get the modem's attention. Do NOT use a cross over cable as has been suggested and do not try to configure the modem.

If you have a Linksys router the address from your browser probably is

192.168.1.1 Leave the user ID blank and the password is "admin" (no quotes) assuming you have not changed them.

A D-Link router has the default address of 192.168.0.1. The user name is "admin" (no quotes) and leave the password blank. If you have a different router go to the manufacturer's web page.

You can get the manuals from the manufacturer's web page.

Have you tried "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt. The default gateway is your router. Your subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

Reply to
Unknown

I did this too, with the same results. So far, I can't connect to the modem.

I did find the instructions for converting a DSL modem to bridged mode. There's four or five things you have to change in the setup. Still no clue how to talk to it to make the changes. (The manual just assumes telnet

192.168.1.1 works)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I can see my Motorola cable modem at http://192.168.100.1/ which I do for monitoring signal strength. I never had to configure it. My router is at http://192.168.2.1/ (SMC Barricade) and I DID do some configuration setting there.

Just use the ethernet to c>(Nick, I'm timing you to see how long till the OT policeman comments) >

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Oh, do f*ck off, mueller.

An ass, _and_ arrogant. Loverly combination. Why don't you go find someone to opress, mueller?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Mine is a DSL modem. This address doesn't work either. Heres the manual of what needs changing on the modem: (If I can figure out how to address it)

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

First, which modem do you have? Some supplied now have an integrated router, i.e. 2-wire devices. If that is the case, the modem will furnish a Class C subnet address (192.168.x.x). If this is the case, you only need a hub or switch to share the connection. Determine the connection supported by the DSL provider. Many now use PPPOE that requires a username and password for access. If the modem does not have an integrated router, the external router can make the connection. Get more info, we can go from there. By the way, you can usually use the browser (IE, Netscape, etc.) to get "into" the router or modem. For example, browse to

Ron Moore Since this connection will undoubtedly be used at times to access the rcm newsgroup, it should be right on topic.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:458150fb$0$28822$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

Reply to
Ron Moore

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:4581e75d$0$28817$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...

I was messing around with that this morning. Just unplugged and replugged the cables while powered up and it started working. YMMV.

Fred

Reply to
ff