We have 7 Canon Pixma IP3000, one Pixma IP4000, and one Canon i550 that are exactly that. Just drilled a hole in the top of each tank and installed a "screw cap" that I simply remove to squirt the ink in about once a week. Sadly, Canon got "smart" and discontinued these printers a couple months ago - so I went out last week and grabbed the last 3 I could find for a couple good customers.

We pay less than $4 canadian per ounce for the ink, and have used 3 american quarts of colour, and about 9 american quarts of black in the last year.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

HPs are a pain compared to the old Canons - but the small later HP Blacks aren't TOO bad. The old 49 colors are a lost cause, and the 23s aren't much better. The 45 blacks and the black that goes with the 49 are not bad - but NOTHING like the canon tanks. I fill the canons in situ.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I just bought a 3000, realized afterwards what a great advantage the ink resrvoir design is. I may have to find a backup also.

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

On 20 Dec 2005 07:24:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Dan_Thomas snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com quickly quoth:

Some of the top-end printers, like Tektronix (Um, I mean Xerox) Phasers, use phase change ink which is a LOT easier to work with. But you're right, they use "convenience" to do a value-add and charge a definite price for it.

I believe it was Brother (8 years ago?) whose complete printer was cheaper than a new drum and toner cartridge for a laser rebuild. They really gotcha on the consumables back then, too.

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Dan,

Check this out:

I don't have any experience with this place, just read about it and thought it was interesting...

This was the article:

That was part four in the series, "Inkjet Wars: Cheap Ink vs. Expensive". If you want to read from the beginning start here:

Leon Fisk

you can try the bulk ink system / continuous ink system for epson C88:

raidexpert

Depends on the printer and the ink. As I said, many are not worth the hassle, but using the right ink on the old style Canons is definitely worth while - as well as dead simple.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I use an industrial quality Epson dot matrix. Ribbons are damned near free, and take a couple years to be used up or dry out, unlike the $^%!!! ink jets. I do have a Lazerjet 4, but toner carts are expensive. I do however have a Secret Source.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ribbons can sometimes be revived with a light application of Wd-40.

Reply to
reply

I have an Epson R200. Ebay has bulk ink systems for it. Check out auction number 6833789910. They are available for other printers as well. I opted for replacement refillable cartridges. See auction 6823181159

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

hobby pages are here:
Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.

-Ron Thompson

Reply to
Ron Thompson

I have been known to open a ribbon cartridge and replace the (fabric) ribbon from a bargain priced, non compatible cartridge - I'm a cheapskate with time on my hands. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller