OT: Ivy "feet" adhesive removal

Ivy can be very destructive and I'm amazed at the tenacity of those little glue pads. I've talked to a lot of people and looked for a good way to remove them from various surfaces with no luck. The worst is vinyl siding. Has the DOD looked into this adhesive? (no, a wire brush is NOT a good way to go!)

Other than some minor electrical work, replacing a sagging beam and installing a post in the basement, the sale of the old house is a done deal. I had it on the market for a grand total of 12 days before a young couple with kids made an offer and they accepted my counter in a few hours. The house will suite them very well and they can just move in, everything is fresh. But, those ivy feet look terrible on the front porch.

Reply to
Buerste

Had that crap on the house when we moved in in '61. We kids had the "fun" of pulling the ivy off the brick for several years. Only thing I found to get rid of the residue is a propane torch, very carefully used. Was still a bunch of the pads left on the bricks when we sold the place a couple of years back. Nasty stuff, bugs and critters love it, would even invade window screens. Mosquito population went way down once the ivy, the junipers and the hedge went. Place was a real jungle when we moved in. I repainted the trim and windows when I was in college one summer, torching off the paint took care of the ivy pads on that stuff.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I'd use a bit of dilute lye solution, myself. Brush it on, repeat, wash down next day. Won't hurt brick, concrete, vinyl (but no good for paint).

When dealing with ivy, or cherry laurels, remember those rousing words from the old Doctor Who show: "exterminate, exterminate, EX TER MIN ATE!"

Reply to
whit3rd

Oh, that'll work well on vinyl siding! It'll get rid of the adhesive, the siding, the house, the detached garage...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You should have bought those little lambs when you had the chance! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Shhhhh!

Reply to
Buerste

Boy does that go back a ways. :-) How about the Kid too? ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mike sez:

"Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you? Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?'

Showing your age, huh, Mike? You went over the heads of 75% of RCM readers with that one>

Bob Swinney

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Don't think the spelling is quite right but don't ask me to spell it either. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

with that one>

Mike and I must be about of an age. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Had that crap on the house when we moved in in '61. We kids had the "fun" of pulling the ivy off the brick for several years. Only thing I found to get rid of the residue is a propane torch, very carefully used. Was still a bunch of the pads left on the bricks when we sold the place a couple of years back. Nasty stuff, bugs and critters love it, would even invade window screens. Mosquito population went way down once the ivy, the junipers and the hedge went. Place was a real jungle when we moved in. I repainted the trim and windows when I was in college one summer, torching off the paint took care of the ivy pads on that stuff.

Stan

Gardening program last night had the same question - suggestion was to heat with and electric heat gun & then remove.

Reply to
Royston Vasey

with that one>

74%

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Oh, mares eat oats and does eat oats And little lambs eat ivy A kid'l eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

Another showing his age

rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

with that one>

How old do you think I am? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Actually "mares eat oats and does eat oats"

isn't it?

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Reply to
J. D.

Not too old to act-up every once in a while!

Reply to
Buerste

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:01:14 -0600, the infamous Lewis Hartswick scrawled the following:

with that one>

I'm a young 56 and heard that tune from my parents long, long ago. I doubt that 25% of RCM missed it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:00:07 -0600, the infamous Lewis Hartswick scrawled the following:

"You want _spelling_? You couldn't HANDLE the spelling."

Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy, A kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You went and spoiled it. :-) ...lew...

Reply to