OT: Milady and the firearms instructor

Today was Mary's permit class. When we asked last week, the instructor kindly said I could audit it with her for no charge since I already have my permit. I figured I'd probably learn something, and I did.

He started by asking if she had any experience with handguns. She said yes, she had fired a few. OK, so he went over the basics very quickly (mercifully so) and then said with females he usually does the range qual test first. Then if they're unable to pass they won't have wasted an evening on classroom work and there'd be no charge. He'd said to bring 100 rounds of ammo so she could have 50 rounds on a practice target and then fire her 50-round qualification.

We said OK with a straight face. Thence to the range. Mar uncased her .22 semiauto, racked it open, set it on the bench aimed downrange with the muzzle never pointing anywhere but downrange and finger never on the trigger. She does this out of habit. I could see that he was watching like a hawk and nodding. She loaded 10 rounds in a magazine, slapped it home, closed the slide. He said go ahead. So she did. Ten rounds at a rate of about 1 per second or perhaps slightly slower. He asked if we had another magazine. She said yes. He said it'd be OK if I'd like to load mags for her since he'd seen that she is quite able to do it herself. That did speed things up some.

Well, it was like an assembly line. There'd be 10 pops in 10 to 15 seconds, a snack whack as she changed mags and closed the slide, whereupon the monotonously regular popping resumed while I refilled the empty mag. At 40 rounds he said hold it, he was moving the target downrange to 36 feet. Apparantly 36 feet is some sort of magic number in MN, a distance beyond which we should not shoot at an assailant with a weapon like a bat, knife, or anything but a firearm because MN courts presume that the shooter is not actually at immediate grave peril if the assailant is 36 feet or more distant. That's certainly reasonable but I didn't know it was so defined. When the target stopped at 36 feet he said she may resume firing. 10 more pops. We're done. He'd never said whether it was practice or qual, but I guess if it passes it's qual by default. She passed. Matter of fact, she maxed it. Scoring is 5 for hits in the X, 10, 9 and 8 rings, 4 for 7 ring, 3 anywhere else on the silhouette. Passing is

70% of possible 250 or 175. Mary had one hit in the 8 ring. The remaining 49 were 9's, 10's and X's. 100% for Mary. We weren't on the range 10 minutes. Wouldn't wanna waste his time watching the soft-spoken female miss a practice target.

The rest of the course went at warp speed. We were the only ones there so he could customize, which meant that he could skip at least half of the customary material because it was quite evident to him that Mary didn't need it and he could focus on the legal stuff. He was almost effusive with his comments about her flawless muzzle control, etc etc. Perhaps being a civilian firearms instructor has its hairy moments. All he said about the target was, "100%" I'd glanced at him a couple of times while she was shooting, I was stoking mags and he was watching holes keep appearing, one after another as regular as clockwork, in the middle of the target downrange. He did have this bemused look on his face.

Damn, that was fun!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Last year my sister and her husband went to the range to shoot her Christmas gun, a P22 from him. She out shot him. I guess the little bit we taught her when she was young payed off. Just to sound proud, my nephew just graduated from Parris Island and was the top shooter in his Company. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Good report on your better half Don, Enjoyed it immensely.

[...]

Robert Swinney

If one can shoot, qualifying with a .22 is more of a showoff than a test. My wife and I have had several similar encounters, and after the first few minutes, any good instructor will see that they have an experienced person rather than some bonehead, and the rest goes easy.

What kind of .22? I have a 1980 Ruger Mk 1. I love that pistol. My BIL has one with a bull barrel and scope that is fun to shoot. If I could put together a fun target pistol, it would be a Ruger or Browning .22 with a laser. Or scope. Or both. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

She was using a Browning Buckmark with 4" bull barrel. It's a fun little .22. We also have a Ruger Mk III "Hunter" with 7" barrel and red-dot sight but that's more of an outdoors pistol. That was my first "no-smoke" treat, bought with money I had NOT spent on smokes since quitting last May. I bought the Ruger in July. You reading, Tawm?

Mary handles recoil just fine though she doesn't like it much. She had wrist surgery not long ago so she opted to go with the Buckmark .22 for 50 rounds.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Tell Mary...Well done, well done indeed!

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I've been kidding her about being Ms. 100%. She'd have done better with her favorite revolver but Bucky was the expedient choice for a quick 50 round qual test and 100% suffices most days.

Reply to
Don Foreman