OT: MS Word question

I do not use 'doze and don't have Word. I need to explain to someone the exact key presses to save a document in plain text. Note that the
document contains macros.
Also they seem to be able to generate .PDFs but not simple ASCII text. How do they get from .DOC to .PDF?
TIA, Ted
Do they just want the text. If so it may be easiest to do a select all, copy and then paste the results into notepad. I think that this should lose all special formatting and macros. Regarding PDF it may be that they have a PDF creation plugin of some description. PDF viewers are freely available but the creation programs usually costs.
Ted Edwards wrote:

Go to the file menu, click on SaveAs. In the dialog box click on the SaveAsType list at the bottom. Click down in the list and you get several versions of .txt from which to choose. You loose everything but text, including line breaks (unless you choose TextOnlyWithLineBreaks).

That is another option. I try that with my mother and she gets lost at the file menu. She can operate word, excel, access and the home equivalents but she just uses the icons. Gets lost when you talk much about menus. I program Windows software so I just felt the save as route was slightly more complicated .
Charly Coughran wrote:

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:31:55 GMT, the renowned Ted Edwards

This question has been answered.

Maybe they installed Acrobat (full version), which adds some icons to the toolbar to directly create (or create and e-mail) documents in PDF format.
I wish more people would do that, I'm tired of getting .doc files for newsletters and such like. They are not nearly as safe as .pdf files.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

There are also some freeware and/or shareware PDF writers available. I don't recall the names, but a google search should find them.
Bert

    [ ... ]

    Recent versions of Ghostscript will do it. (At least the unix versions.)
    And -- for *viewing* pdf without Adobe's product, try xpdf on unix systems.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

There's another possibility. Ted could download OpenOffice by Sun Microsystems, free. www.openoffice.org and could then read the Word documents, without macros. Versions are available for just about any operating system.

They could, again, with OpenOffice. One of the "Save as" choices is .PDF. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to open a .PDF file, edit it, then save it as a .PDF. But documents created by almost any word processor is fair game.
Dale Scroggins
Dale Scroggins wrote:

Oops. Not the "Save as" menu, but the "Export" menu. Sorry.
Dale

    [ ... ]

    Yep - though I wonder whether it has been ported to OS-2 yet. That is what Ted is running, IIRC.
    [ ... ]

    Note that some PDF files are locked to prevent modification. Individuals seldom do this, but companies sending out product information documents are much more likely to do this.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Correct and, according to there web site, it is not available for OS/2. However, Ghost Script/View is. I downloaded and installed and it works. Now I have to see if it can be persuaded to print to an elderly Epson dot matrix printer.
Ted

Ted, See if you can get a copy of Star Office 5.2 which was available for OS/2. I thinka all these Star office (i.e. Open Office nowadays) programs were originally ported FROM OS/2... Anyway I used Star Office 5.2 for OS/2 & I think even version 6 may hav had an OS/2 port as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com         John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales
snipped-for-privacy@cwcom.net wrote:

Thanks to kind individual I have a copy of SO 5.1. Problem is, at least for me, it's size. I'm trying to see if I can get it to run from a CD.
Ted
On 7 Nov 2003 23:47:45 -0500, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Unfortunately, Adobe released a version of Acrobat (5.0?) that does that as the *default*. It is a real PITA in some cases. If they just use the default setting, it can be removed quickly and easily, but it would probably be a violation of the rather draconian DMCA..
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
    Greetings and Salutations.
wrote:

    Sadly, the only way I know of to do this is to write a fairly hefty check to Adobe. That is one of the drawbacks to a propriatary format. Kind of gives the creator a lock on some aspects of the process. On the other hand, it DOES suck a lot less than most ways of distributing documents across the net.     Now...if they would ONLY port Pagemaker, Distiller, etc, to Linux!     Regards     Dave Mundt
Dave Mundt wrote:

Take a look at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ . It's available for Linux.
Ted

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... first take a look at xpdf. I'll quote some of the man page for that here (and some others as well):
=====================================================================NAME xpdf - Portable Document Format (PDF) file viewer for X (version 1.01)
SYNOPSIS xpdf [options] [PDF-file [page | +dest]]
DESCRIPTION Xpdf is a viewer for Portable Document Format (PDF) files. (These are also sometimes also called 'Acrobat' files, from the name of Adobe's PDF software.) Xpdf runs under the X Window System on UNIX, VMS, and OS/2.
    [ ... ]
-ps PS-file Set the default file name for PostScript output. This can also be of the form '|command' to pipe the PostScript through a command. [config file: psFile]
    [ ... ]
-level1 Generate Level 1 PostScript. The resulting PostScript files will be significantly larger (if they contain images), but will print on Level 1 printers. This also converts all images to black and white. [config file: psLevel]
    [ ... ]
-opw password Specify the owner password for the PDF file. Providing this will bypass all security restrictions.
-upw password Specify the user password for the PDF file.
====================================================================    So -- this will (among other things) convert a .pdf file to a .ps (PostScript) file.
    Also (as part of the xpdf package) you get:
=====================================================================NAME pdftotext - Portable Document Format (PDF) to text converter (version 1.01)
SYNOPSIS pdftotext [options] [PDF-file [text-file]]
DESCRIPTION Pdftotext converts Portable Document Format (PDF) files to plain text.
Pdftotext reads the PDF file, PDF-file, and writes a text file, text-file. If text-file is not specified, pdftotext converts file.pdf to file.txt. If text-file is '-', the text is sent to stdout.
    [ ... ]
-raw Keep the text in content stream order. This is a hack which often "undoes" column formatting, etc. This option will likely be replaced with something more sophisticated when pdftotext is rewritten to use a smarter text placement algorithm.
-htmlmeta Generate a simple HTML file, including the meta infor- mation. This simply wraps the text in <pre> and </pre> and prepends the meta headers.
    [ ... ]
-opw password Specify the owner password for the PDF file. Providing this will bypass all security restrictions.
-upw password Specify the user password for the PDF file.
====================================================================    Or -- if you can import PostScript to edit:
=====================================================================SYNOPSIS pdftops [options] [PDF-file [PS-file]]
DESCRIPTION Pdftops converts Portable Document Format (PDF) files to PostScript so they can be printed.
Pdftops reads the PDF file, PDF-file, and writes a PostScript file, PS-file. If PS-file is not specified, pdftops converts file.pdf to file.ps (or file.eps with the -eps option). If PS-file is '-', the PostScript is sent to stdout.
    [ ... ]
-level1 Generate Level 1 PostScript. The resulting PostScript files will be significantly larger (if they contain images), but will print on Level 1 printers. This also converts all images to black and white. No more than one of the PostScript level options (-level1, -level1sep, -level2, -level2sep, -level3, -level3Sep) may be given. [config file: psLevel]
-level1sep Generate Level 1 separable PostScript. All colors are converted to CMYK. Images are written with separate stream data for the four components. [config file: psLevel]
-level2 Generate Level 2 PostScript. Level 2 supports color images and image compression. This is the default set- ting. [config file: psLevel]
-level2sep Generate Level 2 separable PostScript. All colors are converted to CMYK. The PostScript separation conven- tion operators are used to handle custom (spot) colors. [config file: psLevel]
-level3 Generate Level 3 PostScript. This enables all Level 2 features plus CID font embedding. [config file: psLevel]
-level3Sep Generate Level 3 separable PostScript. The separation handling is the same as for -level2Sep. [config file: psLevel]
-eps Generate an Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) file. An EPS file contains a single image, so if you use this option with a multi-page PDF file, you must use -f and -l to specify a single page. No more than one of the mode options (-eps, -form) may be given.
====================================================================    If you go to text, you will lose the fancy formatting, but if you can work on PostScript, you should be able to preserve it. (I don't know any programs which will open PostScript for formatted editing, though if you know enough about PostScript, you can edit the file raw.
    Note, however, that if the PDF page happens to simply be an encoding of an image (such as from scans), you won't get the raw text, unless you have a program which can do OCR on the image.
    For going the other way, you have enscript (to just turn a plain text file into plain PostScript), or groff (to turn a file with nroff/troff formatting commands embedded into PostScript).
=====================================================================User Commands GROFF(1)
NAME groff - front end for the groff document formatting system
SYNOPSIS groff [ -tpeszaivhblCENRSVXZ ] [ -wname ] [ -Wname ] [ -mname ] [ -Fdir ] [ -Tdev ] [ -ffam ] [ -Mdir ] [ -dcs ] [ -rcn ] [ -nnum ] [ -olist ] [ -Parg ] [ files... ]
DESCRIPTION groff is a front-end to the groff document formatting sys- tem. Normally it runs the gtroff program and a postproces- sor appropriate for the selected device. Available devices are:
ps For PostScript printers and previewers
dvi For TeX dvi format
X75 For a 75 dpi X11 previewer
====================================================================    Once you have the PostScript, you have ps2pdf (part of the ghostscript package);
=====================================================================Ghostscript PS2PDF(1)
NAME ps2pdf - Convert PostScript to PDF using ghostscript ps2pdf12 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.2 (Acrobat 3-and- later compatible) using ghostscript ps2pdf13 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4-and- later compatible) using ghostscript
SYNOPSIS ps2pdf [options...] (input.[e]ps|-) [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf12 [options...] (input.[e]ps|-) [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf13 [options...] (input.[e]ps|-) [output.pdf|-]
DESCRIPTION The ps2pdf scripts are work-alikes for nearly all the func- tionality (but not the user interface) of Adobe's Acrobat(TM) Distiller(TM) product: they convert PostScript files to Portable Document Format (PDF) files. ====================================================================    All of these can be compiled to run on linux, or you may be able to find RPMs or other pre-packaged binaries, depending on your flavor of linux.
    Note that the xpdf package even includes OS-2 in its list of OS's which it will run under, so Ted should be happy -- if he can pull himself away from APL long enough to run a C compiler. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

First I'd have to find a modern one. It's been a loooooong time. :-)
Ted

Ted:
Another poster already gave you the "save as..." info, but you might want to consider .rtf format if you have a reader on your machine that handles rich text. I worked in a mixed computing environment for years, and we got in the habit of using RTF as our exchange medium among Word, WP, Mac's and Unix. It steadily improved over time. RTF readers are pretty easily available for all these environments; you might already have one on your machine.
The advantage, of course, is that RTF preserves most or all of the formatting information.
Regards,
Bob
Bob Edwards wrote:

I do have something that will deal with RTF but that assumes they have enough computer smarts to output from Word in that format. They couldn't get plain text right. :-(
Ted