OT: new LED 2AA Maglite at Walmart

Anyone tried the new 2AA LED Maglite? Is it worth the price? Karl

Every tool or related thing that I bought at Walmart in the last 2 years was complete crap, unable to stand up to normal use. I would stay away. Bought some 2" tiedowns there and one already had a seam come apart. I try to buy as little as I can there now (which is sometimes difficult)

If you watch the brand you buy through wallyworld you'll probably be alright. I have a Stanley crescent wrench that's been savagely abused for ten years and still going strong. Only has a few tears in the grip, where I was beating it with an air hammer. Most of my tools at work are Proto, which is Stanley. Maglite makes good stuff, should be alright. If their own LED versions are as good as the drop-in conversion bulbs, then it's worth getting. In fact, gonna go buzz by walmart right now.

Ignoramus4143 wrote:

The only thing I've found there in a long time that actually worked was a large, curved plastic pizza cutter. It actually works, by simply rolling the cutting edge across the pizza and it was made in the US. Easy to use, easy to clean, and doesn't bother my Carpal tunnel like those crappy rolling blade pizza cutters.
prove it.
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 05:21:16 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

I was getting CT problems years ago from my mouse, so I tried a Logitech Trackman Portable. It's a sideways trackball actuated by your thumb and totally eliminated my wrist pain. When it died a few years later, I found more at a surplus store and bought 5. The last one died a few months ago and I just now found more on eBay for about $11, delivered. (link below, std disclaimer applies) I bought 3 for $25 and they're on their way to me now. You might try one to help your wrist problems. They're great for Usenet because you can mouse from your lap or chair arm. I -adore- these things. http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-NEW-Logitech-TrackMan-Portable-Mouse-T-SC3-PS-2_W0QQitemZ300028379745QQihZ020QQcategoryZ74946QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
------------------------------------------ Friends don't let friends read "Wired" http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design ============================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

I have a number of styles trackballs including several Logitech, but they didn't help me The angle I have to hold my hand to use them triggers the pain. I can't straighten my hands completely without feeling the muscles causing a strain. I also have nerve damage. One thing that was odd. I was losing the feeling in my hands for about two years before the pain really started. I could only drive a few miles, till I had to park for a while. Eventually that wasn't as bad, but the pain got a lot worse.
A soft mouse pad with a padded wrist rest, and an optical mouse bothers me the least.
I'm happy for you that trackballs work so well for you.
prove it.
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:25:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Trackballs SUCK, just as mice do. The Trackman =Portable= is a different aminal altogether, Mike. Your hand rests on the desk in a slightly more vertical position and your arm doesn't have to move at all. You -don't- lift your hand to move the mouse, so the wrist stays strain-free. You move the ball with your thumb and click with your forefinger (either hand; They're reversible.) It looks like a donut sitting on edge on my desk, with the hole being the ball. You can hold it off the desk, in your lap, wherever, too. They're great since you don't need a surface to make them work. (Hand position is something like this: http://www.ergo-items.com/3m_ergonomic_mouse.htm

Have you tried the arm lifts which keep your elbow supported? They help, too, at about $99 a pop. http://www.ergo-items.com/armrests/ergorest/ergorest.htm

Good luck using whatever you end up with.
--
Do. Or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
---
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

$?
dennis in nca
I think $27. Karl
rigger wrote:

On 19 Sep 2006 07:21:58 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Haven't tried it yet but will note the following:
At $25 or so, it's a good buy for an electronically regulated 3-watt Luxeon flashlight. They're $25 at Amazon, don't know about Wally's.
With 2 AA Energizer E2 cells, battery life at 3 watts would be a bit over 3 hours. Don't know if they're running it at 3 watts, but they claim it to be a 3-watt light. It probably gets a bit warm after running for a few minutes.
For an everyday pocket "carry", I prefer a 1-watt regulated Luxeon powered by a single CR123 cell. It's a lot smaller, plenty of light for most pocket-light uses, good battery life. In daily use, a battery lasts me a couple of months. The CR123's are very pricey at Wal-Mart, but pretty reasonable at Cabela's if bought by the dozen.
A 3-watt light is noticably brighter, but doesn't look anywhere near 3X as bright. Maybe half again as bright. This is because of the logarithmic nature of our senses. A 1-watt Luxeon is still noticably brighter than the standard AA minimag flashlight with fresh batteries -- and the standard minimag gets dim pretty fast as batteries age. A regulated Luxeon will maintain constant brightness for the entire life of the batteries, and the Mag-LED light must contain electronics because it uses only 2 cells. I think they say it's regulated. Most of the 3 AA cell Luxeon lights are not regulated. They dim as batteries age and are unusably dim when the batteries are only about half-depleted down to about 1.2 volts per cell. (End of life is about 0.9 volts per cell)
Don Foreman wrote:

Don, do you have a source for a recommended 1-watt Luxeon LED flashlight?
GWE
On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:18:24 -0700, Grant Erwin

See http://www.cosmosled.com/1_watt/tm-306x.htm
I have no idea where to get one though. The place I got mine no longer carries them.
I really like this little flashlight. Jerry Martes also has one and carries it with him all the time. It's surprising how many times a day I use that light, usually for just a few seconds while looking for something. Just one example: setting compound angle on the lathe is a lot easier with a bright light shining on the graduations.
Thanks, Don. FYI, these are $24.99 online: http://www.eliteled.com/products/flashlights/tm306x.html
I ordered one.
Grant
Don Foreman wrote:

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:20:40 -0700, Grant Erwin

Thanks for the URL. If I lost mine I'd certainly want to replace it. I think the 2AA MiniMags, LED or otherwise are too long to carry comfortably except maybe in a jacket pocket.
Don Foreman wrote:

Don, I got the flashlight today, seems to work great, lotta light for a little thing. On your original link, it doesn't mention voltage regulation, nor does it on the packaging. It does, however, on the eliteled site (see above). If I'd seen this in a store, I'd have passed on it, figuring it didn't have the voltage regulator. Do they all have voltage regulation (to keep uniform light intensity as battery voltage drops)? If not, I wonder why Nuwai didn't mention that on their packaging.
I found eliteled.com to be good sellers, by the way, good communication, prompt shipping, pro packing.
Grant
wrote: .

Also check out the batteries that have 2 CR123 cells inside. My 5 LED light used two of the CR123's but for about a buck more than the price of the single I can get one of the double ones, break open the case pry off the tabs and have tow 123 cells.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
What's that Lassie? You say that Don Foreman fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:50:48 -0500:

Me too. So much so I made my own.
Dan
--

Dan

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:35:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net (dan) wrote:

Please say more, Dan! Photos? What did you use for electronics?
What's that Lassie? You say that Don Foreman fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:41:29 -0500:

Sure. I still have the web page that I put up when I was selling the extras. http://www.gis.net/%7Eriderdan/cpf/pics/cnc_123 /
The electronics are from: http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php (don't use the old link on my page)
I had bought one of the conversions for a 2AA mag light, but like others have pointed out, it is too long for comfortable pocket carry.
So, I measured all of the componants,(switch, battery, module, lenses) and drew them all in Mastercam at work. Then I drew the metal housing around all of that and voila, the CNC-123 was born.
I got tired of selling the shell, so I looked for someone to buy all I had and they could assemble them into finished lights. Someone at www.candlepowerforums.com offered, and I accepted.
We worked together to make some revisions and incorporate new ideas.
The latest revision is the 'groovy'. available at: http://photonfanatic.com /
Hope that answers your questions.
--

Dan