OT - Pinging John Hatpin

What's in a name?

My curious mind wants to know if there's an interesting etymological background to your name which you'd care to share.

Back in the 60s I worked with a Brit whose name was Iva Fishbone, and I had to keep myself from blurting out, "Is it stuck in your throat?" when I first met him.

FWIW my family name, originally spelled Wishnia, means either cherry tree or cherry in Polish, I'm not sure which, but I once saw an ad for a Polish chocolate covered cherry candy with our family name on the package.

Earlier this week I came across this college, which has quite a few marvelously descriptive last names among the members of its faculty and board.

I wonder if it's graduates are jokingly referred to as "not the sharpest knives in the drawer."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sorry rcm, that was meant to be posted to another newsgroup.

But the "Chief Dull Knife College" part is for real as far as I can tell.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

There was someone around here named "Yu Seok Hwang". he changed his name to Tim or something like that. :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

One of the more interesting coincidences in names was a guy named Dick Stackpole. He worked for a pile driving subcontractor that installed driven foundation pilings for the contractor that I worked for. I often marveled at how appropriate his name fit his profession.

Gary Brady ("McBradaigh" in old Ireland) Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady