OT: Reasons for invading Iraq

A. To prove Sadam Hussein was not responsible for the Palestinian uprising. Sharon has now figured out the Palestinians are genuinely unhappy about the illegal settlements and were not simply the pawns of Hussein.

B. To prove Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction.

C. To get military parents out of the country so that impact aid (which is US money to school districts that serve military bases) could be reduced with out much noise from the parents (since they were now overseas).

D. To give Al Queda a much needed respite so that they can reorganize in Afghanistan.

E. To show North Korea they had better hurry up and get their nuclear weapons online to resist a US attack.

F. To show there are no documents to prove there was a link between Hussein and Al Queda

G. To give Halliburton yet more opportunities to rip off the US taxpayer by overcharging for gas and charging for meals not served to our soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen.

H. To prove the US CAN be wrong and the rest of the world correct.

I. To prove once again, that Intelligence is a very iffy proposition; just as was proved in the judgments about probable Soviet and Chinese reactions about our response to North Korea's invasion of South Korea; the Bay of Pigs, the "missile gap" of the 50s; the support among the Vietnamese for US intervention; etc. Once again we know that intelligence assessments should be looked at with a critical eye.

J. To prove there are limits to how far our military commitments can be extended.

K. To prove the long held Republican position that the US is not very good at "nation building"

L. And perhaps most importantly, to give jingoists the emotional high that is so similar to being from the high school with state champion football team.

To paraphrase Secretary Rumsfeld, sometimes smoke is only smoke.

Reply to
?

Sounds like someone has been reading the Toronto Star too much. Sadam wasn't just a madman, he was a madman with money.

Dave Enjoying the freedom to speak my mind.

Reply to
David De Vuono

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak my mind. I lost my job this past year. When Clinton was president I was secure and prosperous, but in the last year, we had to close our operations. We simply could not compete with foreign labor. This foreign labor worked for low pay under very bad conditions.

They worked very long shifts, and many even died on the job.

This competition could hardly be called "fair." I was forced out of the place where I had worked for 34 years.

Not a single government program was there to help me.

How can Bush call himself "compassionate?" Far worse, I lost two of my sons in Bush's evil war in Iraq. They gave their lives for their country, and for what? So that Bush's oil buddies can get rich. My pain of losing my sons is indescribable.

While it is trivial next to the loss of my sons, I regret to say that I also lost my home. I simply have nothing left. How can Bush call himself a Christian when he neglects people like me? I am a senior citizen with various medical problems. I'm not in a position where I can begin a new career. I was reduced to the point where I had to live in a hole in a ground, all because of President Bush.

And when the authorities found me there, did they have any compassion for my misfortune and ailments? No, I was arrested. Mr. Bush, I dare you to look me in the face and tell me you are a compassionate man! I dare you to look me in the face and tell me you are a Christian. If I had any money left, I would donate it to the Democrat Party.

If Al Gore had been elected in 2000 I would still have a job, a home, and most importantly, my dear sons!

Regards,

Saddam Hussein The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Mark,

Did you ever get your receipt from the Red Crescent?

Reply to
?

Nope. Still have the stub for the MO tho. I assume I will get a donation receipt for my taxes before long.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

There are lots of madmen with money; should we wage war on all of them?

Reply to
Nick Hull

I was concerned. Given how poorly you have told us your business is ($20,000 income on $25,000 expense; $400,000 debt), I wanted to be sure you had all the receipts possible to help you lower your tax bill.

The rest of us will take care of your share of the expense for running this country.

Reply to
?

Your concern is touching and greatly appreciated.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I am under the impression we are losing jobs because of Clintons North America Free trade agreement.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

On 3 Feb 2004 18:41:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@attcanada.net (David De Vuono) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yeah, our money, our training, our supervision. When are we (the US and anyone thinking like them) going to learn that we can NOT prop up bad guys/governments in foreign countries and expect it to turn out decently? (Our form of democracy isn't right for them; we can barely handle it ourselves.)

Some in Central America, a handful of them in the Middle East. How many will it _take_?

Full-Service Web Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Big Gold Star