OT - Time to reevaluate?

I am not sure who wrote this (I didn't) but it captured my feelings after the events of the last few weeks and I wanted to share. It's time to reevaluate our involvement!

Every day there are news reports about more deaths. Every night on TV there are photos of death and destruction. Why are we still there?

We occupied this land, which we had to take by force, but it causes us nothing but trouble. Why are we still there?

Many of our children go there and never come back. Why are we still there?

Their government is unstable, and they have loopy leadership. Why are we still there?

Many of their people are uncivilized. Why are we still there?

The place is subject to natural disasters, to which we are supposed to bail them out. Why are we still there?

There are more than 1000 religious sects, which we do not understand. Why are we still there?

Their folkways, foods and fads are unfathomable to ordinary Americans. Why are we still there?

We can't even secure the borders. Why are we still there?

They are billions of dollars in debt and it will cost billions more to rebuild, which we can't afford. Why are we still there?

It is becoming clear...

WE MUST PULL OUT OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bob

Nick Hull

That's awfully extreme, Nick. I'm in favor of just granting California independence. And then installing 20-foot-high razor wire all around it.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Good idea, Ed. We have enough of the riff-raff that has migrated from the eastern areas. Would be good to keep any more from getting in. Worse than swarms of locusts.

michael

Reply to
michael

On Sat, 08 May 2004 02:06:47 GMT, "Ed Huntress" brought forth from the murky depths:

Why punish Floridians like that? I mean, how would they get their orange juice if Kalifornia were cut off from the rest of the states? And to whom would Florida sell their own oranges and juice? (If you don't believe this happens, have Gunner tell you. Most of the origins of juices on CA shelves were from out of state. It couldn't have changed much in the 2 years since I left, could it? Well, other than the Governator .)

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me too! The sooner the better.

Al Moore "Have you been rude to a tourist today?"

Reply to
Alan Moore

I used to thing New Yorkers were the worst. Now I've got a thing about Austrian body builders...

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

Hmm.....Let me think about this one.

Let's see... Agricultural Production and Exporting California #1, Florida #12

Total Ag. exports California $7.6B, Florida $1.2B

But we were talking about just fruit exports so what does that amount to California $1.7B, Florida $622M

OK, it's a deal, fence us off. And no sneaking in for groceries when you get hungry. :-)

Richard Coke

Reply to
Richard Coke

Hey, it'll bring the dairy industry back to Wisconsin. :^)

Tim (rolling up the windows :o )

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

The rest of the country will be a "skurvy crew"

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Be careful of those fruit exports. We got a bunch of them back when AIDS was taking hold.

Ship 'em to the Middle East, or something.

Reply to
Offbreed

One wonders if you are familiar with what went on in the Spanish civil war, and of course whether you have actually read "Homage to Catalonia"?

I guess not because the above short passage from Orwell, actually refers to the threat to democracy from people very like yourself!

Reply to
Brain Damage

Speaking of democracy, how about a vote as to whether or not to execute brain fart? Certainly sounds democratic to me. All in favor......Aye!

George S. Patton

Reply to
michael

Interesting that you sign yourself George S. Patton............why not H.Kissinger, R.Nixon, C.Manson, or any one of the others of thousands of nutters and war criminals that have figured so prominenently in US history?

Reply to
Brain Damage

As an amateur student of military history..Ive some idea of what went on..

He was talking about Buddhist Libertarians? Damn!

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Personally I think the US has shipped quite enough to the middle east already!

But I guess when the next larger scale 9/11 attack happens, you are going to realise that very well.

In recent weeks the pictures of Nazi style treatment of Iraqi detainees, is perhaps also something that will surely have strenghened the resolve of the many terrorist groups intent on attacking the US!

Reply to
Brain Damage

Aye!!1

Generalissimo Quinatin, Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion of the XVth International Brigade of the Spanish Republican Army

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Well, I thought about using Brain Death, Puke Brain, Brain Damage, and a host of other similar crap, but I prefer to be associated with a better class of people.

Festus Haggin

Reply to
michael

Unfortunately..the bombing in the North WAS working, along with the mining of Haipong harbor etc etc.

The North would start a spate of calls for peace talks, we would stop the bombing..they would fillibuster and it would be back to business as usual. Even Giap admitted using it as a ploy repeatedly.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

This is what's wrong with this country. We could never fight an effective war simply because we like folks too much. We send soldiers overseas to kill, but then we get all worked up that they're hurting folks.

Doesn't matter that we flew one of those HC130 gunships over a town and blasted everthing that moved during one entire night - what matters is that there's some bizzare S/M stuff going on in that prison. What sells airtime, the hail of lead that falls down in faluja, or the dog collar stuff?

We should not get involved in stuff that we can't finish.

Jim

jim rozen