OT:Water flow in pipe

Can anyone do the math and tell me the HP to push 45 * 10^ 9 (45 giga litres) of water through a 12 diam plastic pipe, 2000 Km long, 1 metre elevation, in one year?

I did it, and was surprised by what I got.

According to me it's 1430 l/sec, 2000000 m long, 12 m diam. Biscosoty = 1 cp. Density = 1000 Kg/m^3. Roughness = .0003

About 20KW! (?????)

Waiting to hear......

Reply to
OldNick

Just apply the Hazen-Williams formula. I have it programmed into my hand calculator, but in 'English' units. Your numbers sound about right. A small pump can furnish water for a surprising number of people. A 3 gpm pump can pump over 4300 gal/day, sufficient for 40 people. I designed numerous rural water systems in New Mexico where wells often won't produce over 10 gpm. The answer is a small pump and large reservoir. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

On 19 Feb 2005 06:35:56 -0800, "Bugs" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ok. Could you do that for me, if you have it programmed? I would provide the conversions, but don't know what units you use; gallons, ft^3 etc.

Reply to
OldNick