OT - Whatever happened to plastics?

I remember back in the early 70s as plastics where really coming into common usage for everything there was a panic about them lasting forever.

Then in the 80s everything plastic was basically considered to be very short term life (in terms of the human lifespan). I had heard that most (all?) plastics had been modified to make them break down.

Why can't we get those "good" plastics from the 70s anymore, and did they ever really exist or was it all a big scare tactic?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Apparently they never existed. Science News had a good article in November about this very subject, and discusses the measures that some museums are taking to try to preserve the plastics in their collections.

bsa441

Sunlight breaks most of them down, unless they are buried in a landfill.

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

There's a big difference between the point where a plastic part is degraded to the point where it no longer functions as was intended, and the time when it can be indiscriminately discarded.

A sun-damaged plastic bag isn't much use for carrying stuff, but you wouldn't flush it down the toilet.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Current leanings are that it is a huge problem (plastics not really degrading). A couple of articles I found:

I've heard/read several similar reports in the past year (shrug).

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The "good" plastics are still around. They are properly called engineering resins. Delrin aka acetal, polycarbonates, teflon, nylon and acrylics like plexiglass are still widely used in quality products.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The plastics from the 70's and 80's is a big part of why it is tougher to restore a car from that era. The parts are there but the sun has taken it's toll. Steve

Reply to
Up North

Dunno about nylon; back in the late 60s I worked in a test house. We had some nylon brake hoses for examination ( the curly airline between the tractor and the body of a truck). UV exposure had made them as brittle as a chocolate bar. So much for the good old stuff!

Reply to
Chris Holford

Plenty of Tufnol parts on my boats and friends boats that are still going strong and 40 years young :-) Many of them are good for another

40 years too. You can still get phenolic composites that are just as durable. OTOH there is a lot of plasticiser loaded cr@p out there in consumer products which wont last a year of normal use. Rigidity seems to go with durability. UV resistance is a whole other ball game.
Reply to
IanM

I believe it. Nylon still works well for internal parts though.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I believe the basic principal is that if you want them to last forever you keep them out in the oxygen and sun and changing temperature, which makes them break down.

OTOH, if you want them to go away you bury them deep in a pile of garbage, where there's no oxygen, no sun, and the temperature is constant. There, with only some discoloration, they last forever.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

My recycled washer fluid jug bins for good stuff are getting brittle and cracking even without exposure to sunlight. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Nylon, can be revived by boiling in water. The old nylon model airplane propellers would regain flexibility after 20 minutes in boiling water.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

They're better than ever. We now have things like LCP (liquid crystal polymers) and other high performance plastics that will keep decent mechanical properties at high temperatures. We have stuff like HIPS that is incredible good compared to your Dad's polystyrene-- comparable to ABS or PC.

I don't think planned self-destruction is used anywhere but in packaging materials (though packaging does consume a substantial fraction of all plastics manufactured). IIRC, automotive is behind both packaging and construction applications as a consumer of plastics.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

About ten years ago I was working in a restoration shop on a 1904 Panhard, and we were discussing which contemporary cars might be extremely valuable in 80-90 years. We all agreed that plastics would be the killer, as you would have to make molds and cast it from polymers or something. Now I can see that "rapid prototyping" machines hold promise. Find the blueprint and you solve the hardest problem. My "valuable" car? The Yugo. There may be only one.

Reply to
Stupendous Man