OT: who's the oldest on RCM

I don't GOOGLE. So have no idea how to find my first post but have been reading and ocasionally posting while I still was employed. Been retired for, comming up on 9 yrs. So was before 1997 probably about 1995 or 6 perhaps earlier. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Google shows Jul 7 1993 for my first post.

MikeB

Reply to
MikeB

On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:21:14 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

All TEN? Amazing. (11th hour save.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The first post that Google found of mine was May 1995. That's probably about right.

Bob

Reply to
BobH

JR North

Google handles mine rather oddly. Im unable to determine what was my first post.

email addys used were gunner at lightspeed.net and

gunner at cyberg8t.com and only later did I start using a anti spam inclusion.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 08 May 2007 04:12:46 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Mar 3 1999 looks like the first cyberg8t post.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My first post was 17 Jan 1993, though I was reading trial.rec.metalworking before that, as evidenced by the fact that I was one of the folks who voted on the formation of rec.crafts.metalworking.

-- Greg Dermer

Reply to
greg

I wound up searching on my name. I got no hits searching on the old addresses, even the same ones that showed up with my real name. Wonderful technology, too bad Deja News is gone.

Bob

Reply to
BobH
[ ... ]

If you want to search the old ones, download the archives at the University of Wyoming -- pointers to the main related site are posted every other week by Scott Logan. It is where the FAQ for the newsgroup used to be stored, until whoever was maintaining it retired or something like that. For a while after the FAQ stopped being maintained, the newsgroup's traffic was still automatically archived and compressed -- up through 2001 or 2002 IIRC.

Beware -- back somewhen like 1998 a few copies of a virus appeared, and Windows systems may still be vulnerable to those, so don't let Outlook Express or the like ever see the archives. :-)

BTW Be prepared for a *long* download, even with the compressed files.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm listed for Mar 15 1997. Like a lot of the rest of you I think I must have posted sooner but can't find any record.

I would like to see some reminiscance about members who contributed a lot in the past. I recall Teenut, Gary Coffman Pete Albrecht, Fitch, Doug goncz (8>z) and at the bottom of the barrel,

Altavoz. Any more?

Engineman

On Sun, 06 May 2007 23:37:14 GMT, "Karl Townsend"

Reply to
engineman1

z) and at the bottom of the barrel,

Altavoz. Any more?

Engineman

Mike Graham, Jim Rozen and Ed Huntress are the three that I miss the most.

Adam

On Sun, 06 May 2007 23:37:14 GMT, "Karl Townsend"

Reply to
Adam Smith

How about our group buying friend Casshole, and then there was A*****z's "brother" who appeared briefly from Long Island. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Mike Graham

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Excellent!

Based on the dates some people posted, it appears that there are quite a few people that fairly literate with computers.

I'm trying to remember just when getting a connection to the internet become 'easy'.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

We must not forget the Possum.

Reply to
Al A.

I don't remember when I got up the nerve to actually post to the group, but I still have the CD that Junior made for me with 6 - 7 years of posts which I read by the hour before I got my own Internet connection. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Google the term "endless september". Used to be Usenet got noisy when the new crop of college students discovered it, and improved as they either went away or got clued. At some point, 1992 maybe, the influx of newbies became constant. Hangon a sec: 1993 says here. Somewhere I've seen a perl script which gives today's date as, something like, September 17579, 1993, but of course I can't find it at the moment.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Bitnet was in my area in 1988. My first account was on the CUE (Computer Using Educators) node of the Teachers Information Network, a year or so later. That is well before the web existed!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Well, I was a frequent poster before them, but backed off when "T-Nut" started posting.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.