OT: Windoze XP Home/Media Center

I want to install MCE, but I see where it requires Microsoft authentication(one O/S-one machine). What about Home version? I would want to install on 2-3 of my machines. I did this with an ME OEM cd, but it required building an 'OS Loader' machine with the original M/B brand/model installed for the O/S to accept it and install. Does XP Home req. Microsoft authentication? Thanks JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

All versions of Win XP have the certification via internet process.

Reply to
marks542004

You are kidding...right?

What ever you do, DON'T ask on an xp newsgroup. They will send people with torches and pichforks to your house!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sort of my same thought. This is sort of like asking the FBI on how to rob a bank. Mike

Reply to
mj

Yup. If you're gonna use that crap, at least pay the crook who sells it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ok so if I have a portable computer I can carry it to the three locations I need it and I only have to have one XP installed. But I have three Windows machines sitting in the three locations and that requires three licensed copies of XP.

That's why I run Windows 98 and Solaris on my Sun machine. If I upgrade it will be with Linux.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Bill,

Technically (legally), you need three "licensed" copies of 98, though the software does not enforce it. To be honest, I do not have a problem with that part; where I get irritated is the association of license with a particular piece of hardware, especially one that has failed before its time. I much prefer software licensed as Borland once put it: "like a book".

You are correct that Linux is an alternative.

I noticed your IEEE address. What is your interest in metal working? Assembling circuits into gizmos and wave guides come to mind as possibilities.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

There are cracks to bypass the authentication process. Try

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff M

Technically you need one license of any windows operating system software for each machine you own. .

Reply to
marks542004

Have a look at the license for eCS (ne OS/2). You are only supposed to be using one at a time - no limit to the number of machines on which you install it.

What's more, it actually works - a novel concept for an OS and one that M$ never understood.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Technically, it needs to be the actual version you're running; a win98 license doesn't give you a free "upgrade" to XP, for instance.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ok, for my metal working interest. At one time I wanted to build a steam boat. Then after building a couple of boats (no steam) I decided models (steam) would be more appropriate. I still haven't done that but I do work on wave guide and such. I also repair my riding mower and other machinery. I have a lathe and drill press but no mill (yet).

Too many interests is my curse.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Reply to
JR North

According to :

I certainly don't need a license for Windows for any of my Sun SPARC machines, which can't even *run* Windows, as they don't have Intel CPUs.

And, I have other Intel boxes in which I have never run Windows, even though the hardware is capable of it, so I don't need a Windows license for those machines, either.

Though Microsoft seems to be operating on the principle that there must be a licensed copy of Windows for every machine *capable* of running it ever sold. At least, they are excusing the nasty license enforcement "features" built into XP based on evidence comparing the number of Intel boxes sold vs the number of Windows licenses sold.

Yet another reason for me to dislike Microsoft.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I've got some Intel coprocessors on sbus cards, if you'd like to inflict it on yourself. Price is right... But, why would you want to? Remember SunPC?

I've got more machines that came with a Windows license than I am running Windows. I do have a laptop that runs windows, but it's work's system (and license, and build), and just for if our datacenter does the "smoking crater" and I need a console for the disaster recovery operations.

Yup.

Like I said...if the guy wants to run the crap, he needs to pay the crook. Lots of better options out there, but it being bad is a reason to avoid it, not to _steal_ it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I remember it -- but only others in the lab where I worked ever ran it. :-)

I've got an Intel PCI board which will fit in the Sun Blade 100 which I have -- or the Sun Ultra-5 -- but I have not yet loaded it at all. It would perhaps be nice to run some of the CAD/CAM programs -- but I have yet to get any motivation to actually install the drivers and the OS. :-)

I understand. My old ThinkPad has easily interchanged disks, and usually runs OpenBSD, though it can run Windows ME (shudder) at need. Never for talking to the outside world, however. :-)

Absolutely!

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

We had some users who had it, never did understand why.

Lots of good gear in my basement, waiting for time. I'm finally starting to eBay some of the higher valued, lighter stuff.

Right. That laptop has the drive door permanantly out, and has a little silver box with the drive in it - slides right out, Ubuntu goes in. That way it stays used, the batteries get exercised, and if I need Windows, I can slide that build back in & go. I have to connect it to tha intarweb once a week or so or the antivirus doesn't get updated and the desktop people get annoyed/annoying about it.

If the question was "how do I do (things) with other-than-microsoft" instead of "how do I steal from Microsoft", the answers are so, so much more helpful.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Got a spare 2.5" laptop hard drive? Anything bigger than 4gig?

Guy gave me an outboard hard drive box..usb, that Id like to set up for movable storage. I pulled the drive out of my laptop..and it worked fine in the box.

But I need the laptop AND the outboard drive...

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Might have a 12 gig travelstar freeing up in the next two weeks, depending on how some...current negotiations...turn out.

They're like 20 bucks on ePay...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Got swap?