Pictures (not mine of course) -- Tod Engine Assembly done

``Crankshaft 105,000 lbs. Each flywheel half 60,000 lbs.

80 ton hydraulic crane 90 ton conventional crane.

Whew! Glad its DONE!''

Reply to
Ignoramus9935

This is why electricity is generated using steam turbines at modern power plants. In addition to the added efficiency of the steam turbine, reciprocating steam engines of this size would produce so much vibration that they would shake the containment buildings severely enough to damage them.

Nice pics though. Thx for sharing them. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Well, Not your old Ford Pinto engine is it...... Makes race engines a lot more fun every time I see some gigantic thing like that. Try to turn that crank on my gear....Um, no..... I get pissed when I have to turn down a Hemi crank or an nodular iron one I can't chuck by hand. I just ran short of 90 ton cranes too! And to think I wanted to be a Millwright!

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
Rob Fraser

More on the history, etc.

Steve Ackman

And not the kind of thing that would fit on my trailer!

Rick wants to run this engine (for show purposes) by using a DC motor and some sort of sprocket chain drive. An interesting challenge.

Reply to
Ignoramus9935

Don't even have to look to know your showing Ricks hard work. Oh and that Tod engine is SMALL compared to his latest find...

If you live in the area and wish to help Rick LIKES volunteers... Just don't wear sandals...

Most of the original crew that helped him are on another list I belong to. They are all engine men/ladies.

Reply to
Steve W.