Pistol Recommendations?

Thanks for the kind words!

A few more suggestions if you decide to go with a pump shotgun strictly for home defense.

(1) Most likely you will have the barrel shortened [18_1/2 inch minimum barrel, 36+ inches O/A length to avoid Federal "sawed off" shotgun violations], removing any choke. If you carefully squeeze the end of the barrel in a vise to reduce the vertical bore by about 0.040 inch [for 12 gauge], possibly a little more, you will have created a "duckbill" type choke that will create a wider but shorter shot pattern which can be helpful. This "choke" should taper smoothly from bore size to 0.040 less vertically over 2 to 3 inches. A few hacksaw cuts across the end of the barrel on the top will also act as a "compensator" helping hold the muzzle down when rapidly fired, although this will greatly increase the muzzle flash/blast perceived by the shooter under low light conditions. If the slots are angled toward the rear of the gun you may get some recoil reduction which can help in a rapid fire situation. If you do either or both of these modifications, be sure to test fire gun with a looooong string using heavy hunting loads.

(2) In all likelihood, any intruder confrontation will be in low to minimal light. If you paint a wide [3/8 - 1/2] white stripe on the top of the barrel it will greatly help in target acquisition/aiming under these conditions, as will painting the first one or two inches of the barrel white.

(3) While I suggested #4 as the largest shot size to avoid over penetration, #2 goose loads should also minimize over penetration, and may provide a slight increase in stopping power over the #4 shot.

For safety and reliability I suggest keeping the shotgun uncocked (avoiding spring fatigue) and without a round in the chamber (avoiding "cook off" problems in case of a house fire). [FWIW - a condom or toy balloon over the muzzle will help keep the dust, mud dobber nests, ect. out, and you can fire right though it]. As part of your mental preperation, you should never display your weapon or chamber a round in a confrontation, except to use it, and the split second it takes to jack a round into the chamber and then fire won't give a perp time to say "ah sh**", let alone time to draw and aim a weapon.

This advise is worth at least twice what you paid for it...

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Nope, you are wrong as usual.

"I have had a few healings, a few visions after asking (in prayer) for directions, other various miracles" -RogerN

RogerN, Stormin Moron and you are in fact, equally stupid. One gets driving directions from his imaginary friend, one is protected from temptation by his magic underwear, and another posts his false "beliefs" rather than doing a google search.

So are you really old, or did you learn stupidity to stay young?

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

Indeed. Not everyone has a body form that can be easy to tuck a weapon away on.

Im 6'3" and at 195lbs. So I simply wear 2xx large shirts or a size 50 sport coat if Im carrying. Or a decent brightly colored fanny pack with keys and other camoflauge dangling from it. Or an ankle holster.

That being said..this is what is nearly always on me.. in some place or another.

Its a very basic down and dirty reliable as a rock weapon. As you can see in the video above..its minimalistic. But it works. Its not something you are going to want to spend a day blasting hot rounds down range with. Even I dont care to do that. But it works for what it was intended to do. I can hit 2 liter bottles with it at 15 yrds if I take my time. Up close..inside of 10 yrds..it works very nicely.

Others Id recommend are:

Kahr PM45

Glock 36

Springfield XDS

and the Firestar

And yes..the Firestars are a bit heavy. But frankly..heavy is better when running the .45

If I were going to go to a plastic gun..or another small .45/40...Id buy a Springfield XDS, followed by the Kahr and then the Glock.

Im not a big Glock fan for a number of reasons Ive mentioned before. But..they are decent guns for all of that.

Now...there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the .40S&W cartridge and if you are a fairly new shooter..I think thats where I would point you. Superior to the 9mm, not as much recoil as the .45 (somewhat less..not huge difference though)

Most of the above weapons can be had in .40 S&W btw

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

with a full magazine,

but you will

gun is loaded

The various plastic frame guns are "good"..but..there comes a point where unless you really really work at it..the recoil becomes so severe..the "bite" so rough..that you will develop a flinch. Guarenteed.

I often suggest a good used Colt Detective Special in 38. One can load Plus Ps with a 125gr JHP and have a full six shots that are very easy to control in an expectionaly well made steel weapon that has a very good DA trigger pull... That particular model along with the 1911..are the only Colts I personally care for. And have multiple versions of both. Dont bother with a .357 Magnum load in a snubby. Seriously. They are very difficult to control, to shoot well and frankly...for up close and personal..not needed.

38 Specials are cheap, you can spend a little money and learn to shoot a LOT with them. All of which is whats needed to get to know the feel and shooting skills with any short pistol or revolver.

Btw...if you can find these...

Probably the best 38 snubby load ever made.

They were discontinued, then brought back, then one couldnt find them..then you could..then you couldnt...

If you see em..snag em. Ill buy em.

" nyclad" 38 Special

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Yes. And the odds are?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Very good post. It however leaves out carrying one on the street.

But a very good post non the less

For residential work..#6 pheasant loads work well enough.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

that's made me uncomfortable about using shotguns for home defense.

in the chest with a shotgun, who was sitting up in a chair waiting for the EMTs. And the guy shot with #6 shot at just a few feet, who had a nasty but shallow wound, doesn't give me a lot of confidence in small shot.

are you willing to trust a hammer spring in the cocked position, waiting for the time you're going to shoot? You could leave the chamber empty and rack a shell in when you need it, but do you want to give that much warning to an intruder? He'll either piss his pants or shoot first, I'd think. Are you feeling lucky?

When To Use Birdshot A friend of AR15.com sends this:

"I saw a gunshot victim, about 5' 10" and 200 lbs, taken to the operating room with a shotgun wound to the chest. He was shot at a range of six feet at a distance of just over the pectoralis muscle. He was sitting on his front porch and walked to the ambulance. We explored the chest after x-rays were taken. The ER doc had said 'buckshot' wound, but this was obviously not accurate.

It was # 6 shot. There was a crater in the skin over an inch in diameter. When the shot hit the level of the ribs, it spread out about five inches. There was ONE pellet that had passed between the ribs and entered the pericardium, but not damaged the heart at all. As you say, 'use birdshot for little birds.'"

Ill bet he didnt wish to continue the attack after the shot did he?

Its obvious that he had a decent amount of muscle with that body type. Ive seen the autopsy and shooting reports of a number of shotgun wounds..and his is a bit atypical. Most #6 loads will blow through the chest./ribs, particularly at that range. Ive seen 7 1/2s do better than that where the wad was found inside the body cavity.

That being said..I keep #4s in my home shotguns,

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

You..you...you Animal!! Using WMD on poor innocents who are simply trying to improve their lot in life???!!!!!

Shame! Shame!!

  1. Lie
Gunner

When they heard the shot they backed away and let it burn.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a S&W 629 wheel gun that I've shot a few times (30X give or take), not very good with it though, plan to practice move in the near future, I have loaded some 44 specials for practice.

I also have a Ruger 9mm P89T that looks kind of like a 1911 style. I've shot the 9mm quite a bit, I live out of town and often carried the pistol as I went out to the pond. The Ruger is not real smooth but I've learned to shoot it OK, I've shot wasps while flying, more misses than hits though. I got a head shot on a snapping turtle, etc. Not a lot of target shooting, cans sometimes, but mostly just plinking around. I haven't shot it much in a while, the Herco powder I used in reloading gets it dirty and starts jamming too quickly. My only handgun experience before the 9mm has been black powder single shot and revolver, plus BB pistols. I've shot a friends Sig 45ACP. Shot my dad's mini derringer with 410 shotgun shells.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

They stood there for over two hours while it all cooked off. Considering who owned the house and what was happening, they weren't taking any chances. It was an all voluenteer department back in the '60s. What are the chances anyone had told them it wouldn't hurt them?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

God would want me to pray for them but I'd rather shoot them and ask forgiveness later :-)

The times I've seen miracles is when I have faith to believe God will answer what I'm asking for. I can't just believe for the impossible at any moment I choose, I spend most of my time in the world and it's difficult to not be worldly. So if someone breaks into my home, or if I would face some kind of emergency, there's a good chance I wouldn't have the faith for a miracle, hope yes, faith maybe not. So I'll shoot the criminal or die trying, just don't want to be a helpless victim like liberals made the people that got killed at Sandy Hook Elementary.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

someone's on

more than six

happen to hit

disorient, the adversary,

going to impaired

I'll bet that he throws grenades overhand, too.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

After we have our little talk, I will give the intruder a ride down to the dole station where he will get financial help in addition to free food, free housing, a free cell phone, free laptop with high-speed internet, a monthly stipend...THEN he won't need to rob homes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Untill he runs out of free hookers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The odds of hitting one may be low, but the probability they will hear it and back away is close to 1.0.

When I was little I just had to throw some ammo in a fire to see what happened. The pops and the short distance the bullets and cases flew were disappointing until I heard the primers smack hard into a building across the road.

What actually happens is less important than what the firemen believe will happen, and I've heard some incredible misunderstandings from them on technical matters.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

After reading a post down-thread I stand corrected . But that whoyakidding guy is still a weenie that wants to confiscate my shotgun and Daddy's old WWII rifle . As my daddy said when they passed GCA 68 , "When they pry my cold dead fingers ..." .

Reply to
Snag

"Steve B" wrote in news:kcnkvo$scl$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

In which you have actually hit multiple targets with only one shot by skipping it off the ground.

Yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'm not "picking nits", I'm pointing out that your entire post is a load of bullshit from beginning to end:

"you don't have to be a good shot" to hit something with a shotgun at short range? Bullshit. "shoot by sound in a dark place"? Bullshit. "take them out" with the muzzle blast? Bullshit. "skip it off the ground to neutralize more than one threat with only one shot"? Bullshit.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ask for a brain. If I see you posting the same old horseshit I'll know he didn't answer.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

Unfortunately that's the only way to deal with people like you, force them to eat their stupid beliefs one at a time in a way it's almost impossible to deny. Even then they're often too thick to accept reality. But when they occasionally do f*ck knows they'll STILL never accept the possibility that being dead wrong about some beliefs means they ought to reconsider others.

Posting that sig and acting on it are obviously two entirely different things to you.

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost