Pistol Recommendations?

The time is part of it. Our average response times are very good for a rural company, mainly because we are fortunate that we have folks who work different shifts so some are usually around during the daytime.

We went on a fun one last week. Pellet stove went nuts and started throwing flames up the "chimney" Lit the exterior of the place on fire. Homeowner woke up when the flames breached the window!

Some around here have proper storage. Others are of the "Hey it's in the house, storage types"

Reply to
Steve W.

In most cases, if you leave out the name and address of the individual, it covers the intent of the privacy laws quite nicely.

Just a heads up.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Gunner on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:35:06 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I've heard it recommended as a tactic to go under body armor. On board ship, with steel decks, it might work. But as I told the guy - we're not putting steel plate under carpet just on the off chance of needing that.

Tourniquets would be quick and simple.

pyotr filipivich

Doug Miller on Fri, 11 Jan 2013

00:17:31 +0000 (UTC) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

bullshit from beginning

range? Bullshit.

Bullshit.

"It could happen!"

pyotr filipivich

Neck tourniquets? Sure!

Isn't the first rule of self-defense "If someone tries to kill you, you must kill them first." ?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not with the current laws the FD and EMS live under. We cannot give "uniquely identifiable details" or "overly detailed descriptions of event, scenes, or persons" Real PIA....

Reply to
Steve W.

That would be a 'Turkey Knot', you silly boy! Tie a knot in the turkey's neck, and wait. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just to confuse matters. What happens if you buy a gun, and they decide later to outlaw this or that? You could have spent $$$ only to be ordered to turn it in. Either for no reimbursement, or for tax dollars taken by force from your self and your neighbors. Isn't that dandy, they will raise taxes, to buy your gun back from you?

Being old and cynical, I question the wisdom of buying a gun, at this point in time.

That said, my advice is to open your telephone book, find the three or four gun stores nearest to you. Go ask the oldest guy working at each store. Ask if they have a range, you can testfire. As to home defense, a pump shotgun is the usual advice. As for "out and about", a revolver is a good start. Much more intuitive to operate than a 1911.

.

I'm trying to decide between two types of guns, one would be a compact concealed carry gun if that ever becomes legal in Illinois. The other I'm considering is probably a 45ACP, maybe a 1911 or 1911 Compact. The dealer had several 1911's, they had a Springfield 1911 in my price range and a "Mil Spec" that might have been a little cheaper IIRC.

So, would I be best off to get a full size 1911 and then buy a concealed carry gun later if the state allows concealed carry? Or would a 1911 compact possibly serve both purposes, shoot as good as a full size 1911 but be more "concealed carry" friendly? Is the Springfield 1911 a good one or is there a better option for the money?

I guess the reality of it is, the bigger the gun the less often I would carry it, I may be better off with a full size 1911 and get a concealed carry gun later if/when Illinois permits it.

Thanks!

RogerN

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Larry Jaques on Fri, 11 Jan 2013

17:11:36 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Mal: "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"

"If someone approaches you to commit evil, rise up first and slay them." It is in the Talmud, but I can't recall right now where.

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Fri, 11 Jan 2013

22:15:13 -0500 typed >> >> ?Gunner ? snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com? on Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:35:06 -0800 typed

Boy howdy, do we' uns have us some delightful; expressions.

Is that anything like a Venezuelan Necktie?

pyotr filipivich

Yes, except you use the turkey knot on already flaming idiots.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Jim Wilkins

Oops, it's not a 629 stainless, it's a model 29 Nickel with 8-3/8" barrel, my dad bought one for hunting, used on a wild boar hunt, years later it got stolen, and the one I have was the insurance company replacement that had never been fired until I got it. I bought the dies for it and some 44 special brass, I like to use the 44 special for target shooting, hoping to do some handgun deer hunting around here someday. I haven't been very happy with my accuracy with it so far, need to practice more!

I was thinking of a 45ACP as sort of a better self defense choice over the

9mm. I'd keep the 9mm because I like it but the 45ACP would be the gun to grab is someone's breaking in.

I guess in the long run I'd like to have a 45ACP for defense, though the 44 magnum would be a good alternative. I don't like to keep my guns to the point you can pull the trigger and have it fire, my semi-autos have the magazines loaded but an empty chamber, the 44 magnum, I can leave a chamber empty but if someone pulls the trigger it will fire if I leave the hammer down on the empty chamber. Also I'd only have 5 shots with the 44 if I left an empty chamber to let the hammer down on. If the lefttard gun grabbers have their way then we'll probably have mob rule.

On the electrically fired primer thing, an array of photo-eyes could be set up, each having a piece of 3/4 pipe with a 12 gauge shell, (think ~ 30 single shot shotguns covering areas of my home), so if my home was under attack from a gang, I could enable the system to automatically fire a shotgun shell aimed inline with the photo-eye trip "wire". I thought if it would work good, it would be easier to fire the primer electrically instead of making ~30 firing pin & hammer mechanisms.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

"Jim Wilkins" on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:28:15

Well that was a half hour not quite wasted B-)

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

thing for home defense before the Nazi's ban everything but caulk guns. I'm trying to decide between two types of guns, one would be a compact conceal ed carry gun if that ever becomes legal in Illinois. The other I'm consider ing is probably a 45ACP, maybe a 1911 or 1911 Compact. The dealer had sever al 1911's, they had a Springfield 1911 in my price range and a "Mil Spec" t hat might have been a little cheaper IIRC. So, would I be best off to get a full size 1911 and then buy a concealed carry gun later if the state allow s concealed carry? Or would a 1911 compact possibly serve both purposes, sh oot as good as a full size 1911 but be more "concealed carry" friendly? Is the Springfield 1911 a good one or is there a better option for the money? I guess the reality of it is, the bigger the gun the less often I would car ry it, I may be better off with a full size 1911 and get a concealed carry gun later if/when Illinois permits it. Thanks! RogerN

Get yourself a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grip. Load it with 00 buck. Set yourself up a practice range and get comfortble hitting targets at 5-10 ft away.

Set the range up such that you're moving from target to target. Get good a t it.

You'll never have to worry about having to use more than one shot. Just pr actice.

If the gal back east had one instead of that measly 38 there'd be one less perp to worry about.

good luck

Reply to
jdc

something for home defense before the Nazi's ban everything but caulk guns. I'm trying to decide between two types of guns, one would be a compact concealed carry gun if that ever becomes legal in Illinois. The other I'm considering is probably a 45ACP, maybe a 1911 or 1911 Compact. The dealer had several 1911's, they had a Springfield 1911 in my price range and a "Mil Spec" that might have been a little cheaper IIRC. So, would I be best off to get a full size 1911 and then buy a concealed carry gun later if the state allows concealed carry? Or would a 1911 compact possibly serve both purposes, shoot as good as a full size

1911 but be more "concealed carry" friendly? Is the Springfield 1911 a good one or is there a better option for the money? I guess the reality of it is, the bigger the gun the less often I would carry it, I may be better off with a full size 1911 and get a concealed carry gun later if/when

yourself up a practice range and get comfortble hitting targets at 5-10 ft away.

to worry about.

Get a 12ga shotgun with a pistol grp AND a buttock if you want..but a pistol grip only is a very very poor way to shoot.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Lets hope you hit the target with it, if the need arises.

Ive tested them extensively over the years. And they are Hard to shoot and hit your target. Seriously.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

True, they can be, but that's why you practice.

In HD, it's all about practice and being prepared.

Think what your parents told you, "practice, practice ... and nothing comes easy"

To each there own ...

gl

Reply to
jdc

As Ive stated, Ive had several of them over the years and have fired probably 1000+ rounds on weapons with the pistol grips alone.

I used to write for a couple of the trade journals.

And I dont have a weapon with one on it, nor will I.

But..each to their own.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Pistols? Me? Sold em all to a stranger months ago.

In another state of course.

I needed money to buy toys for a Liberal School Teacher to pass out to the less fortunate.

Really

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner