Pistol Recommendations?

That's my favorite, the only problem is 0.40 gets pricey at the range. The best stuff for target shooting that I've come across is Speer Lawman in the blue box. It's not fouling, doesn't smell awful and won't tear the targets.

I get funny looks when I pick up all my brass. Hell, I should sweep up the entire range.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Wow, your reply applies to you more than it does to the person you're replying to!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I'm pretty sure the research on it was done later than the '60s. Hopefully current firefighters know about it.

Reply to
Pete C.

I no longer know any firefighters. The last ones that I knew were part of my company (Headquarters Commmand) at Ft. Greeley Alaska in '74.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

True, BUT if you're hearing ammo cook off do you KNOW what else may be in that fire? How about that can of black powder the owner has for his muzzle loader? Or the reloading supplies cabinet with 20 pounds of powder stored in it?

In the above case I would have dumped water on it from the street and protected the exposures.

It comes down to what you have for equipment, training and information on scene.

If I have a homeowner standing there to ask what do you have in ammo/powder/primers/whatever else. Then I can say, yes let's go in an attack the fire OR no the danger is to high to warrant that, stay out and surround & drown the place. If there is nobody around who lives in that home to answer those questions then you stay out and dump water from a distance. You don't go by the neighbors or friends words either. They may not KNOW what is actually in that house.

Reply to
Steve W.

I can think of three ammo related injuries to firemen in the past 2 years. These were local to me so I would bet there are others.

Reply to
Steve W.

Indeed, and most if not all of the "explosions" reported at house fires as being due to ammunition and/or reloading supplies were actually the result of aerosol cans such as paint, engine starter, etc. cooking off. If they are looking for an excuse to let a house burn down, for example if the owner has the wrong political candidate sign in the yard, rides a motorcycle, or is a registered gun owner any excuse will do.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I'm sorry. I thought when you said "chambered round" you were discussing concealed carry + firemen. Never mind. (rolls eyes)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not just 'ride a motorcycle'. He had been in and out of jail for over 15 years for fighting, knifing people and always openly carried a gun. He was on every police blotter & had warnings out for every rescue squad & fire house because he had attacked more than one rescue worker when they showed up to clean up his messes. I doubt any of his guns were registered, because he also had a long record of being arrested for B&E. It was interesting that none of his family ever came back after that 'vacation'

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thats a very good weapon and if you dont NEED 44 mags, you can load it with downloaded magnum rounds to 44 Special ballistics and it is a very fun gun to shoot. And the 44 Special round is a VERY GOOD self defense round. Whats the barrel length? If its 4" or shorter..in a good holster with 44 Special ballistics ammo..its an EXCELLENT self defense weapon. longer than 4"..it gets a bit unhandy to carry and about the only way to carry one is in a shoulder holster. Over 6"..it becomes nearly impossible to carry. That weapon Can be rebarreled to

3-4" and it becomes a decent self defense arm. Barrels are about $50 to $100 on the internet and are fairly easy to change.

That Ruger 9mm is a decent weapon for self defense as well. Its not a Great caliber for self defense, but its very much doable and quite reliable. Its not as big as a 1911, and with the proper holster..would make a decent enough CCW...and the proper JHP load of course. Just learn to double tap and it will do you nicely. I have a number of 9mms that Ive been known to carry including my favorite Star BM. In fact..I just looked and there is a 9mm on my CCW A Springfield P9C

Now the Star BMs...wonderful little pistol

Ive seen these for $150-225 at the gun shows so they are quite underrated. Read the review above for the pluses and minuses. Frankly..the only minus I can think of is there are few spare parts available if something finaly breaks. Which is why I bought several of them. Looks like they are up to about $275 on the net..which means they are still available for $225 and less in gunshows and shops and so on.

They are quite small, are perfect womans guns, have all the controls in t he same places that a 1911 has and are very fun to shoot...and still fit a big mans hands nicely. And seldom if every..jam or misfeed. A very reliable firearm.

Buy a decent holster, 4 extra magazines, a box of decent JHPs and you will be well armed for under $300 out the door.

I can take some photos side by side with a 1911 if you ever wanted to see the size difference. Its significant. And no plastic!!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

if someone's on

more than six

happen to hit

disorient, the adversary,

going to impaired

Actually...bouncing shot off the ground does work fairly well when facing a large group. But..you need to be at least 15 yrs away and the shot needs to be bigger than 6s BB shot works well as does #4 buckshot.

It simply takes their legs out from under them and does not generally kill them. They may bleed to death over time..but its unlikely.

However...it may tax your medical support if you put down a number of them this way. Unless they are somehow special..simply aim higher and take the load off your medical staff.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

If they let you pick up the brass...yes you should sweep the range. Git yourself a tumbler..some brass polish and some cheap media and you can make some decent spending money simply selling the brass on the internet. Seriously.

Ill give you a nickle each for every .41 Magnum round, uncleaned, right off the ground. And pay the shipping.

.15 cents a piece for 375 H&H and so on and so forth. And Im cheap. The stuff is worth more than that.

.

Just be sure you understand the difference between Berdan (worth zero) and Boxer primed cases. Which generally only shows up in Comblock military rifle brass btw.

And really consider handloading. Ive recently posted the numbers for how little it costs to get into it. You can reload for about 5-10 cents EACH..which makes a box of 50 rounds about $2.50-$5.00

You can actually afford to shoot a LOT at those prices. Practice practice practice and stay alive.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

What were the injuries?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

One was a 9mm bullet that went through the leg of the guys bunkers and tore a chunk out of his thigh. another hit an interior FF in the arm. Last I heard he was still having problems bending his arm due to the damage to the elbow. That was IIRC a .308. The last was a shrapnel in the eyes injury. What they removed was brass and lead fragments.

I didn't follow up on them much because we don't do a lot of interior work anyway. Most of the time we get calls like "Structure fire, flames and smoke visible" We roll up and the flames are out the windows and the roof is starting to bow. No way you go in like that. Anything or anyone in there is gone. Strange thing around this entire area and some of the others, the people try to fight the fire BEFORE calling us... Don't understand it but it may be that many of the ones we seem to go to are NYC transplants?

Reply to
Steve W.

So at least two of them are not "ammo related", but rather "chambered round" related. Not sure on the third either since if you're going into a fire you should have your full face respirator on which will certainly protect your eyes from low velocity shrapnel like you get from an unchambered round cooking off.

Reply to
Pete C.

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I was thinking of Class D fires. I've dealt with burning Lithium as a chemist but I don't believe they have. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Steve B" wrote in news:kcnqp8$7ka$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

And you're the fool. You wouldn't. And you don't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The first 2 were likely loaded firearms., the last was likely exploding ammo, probably inside an ammo can.

Could be that..or they realize that if they can catch it quick they have a chance of saving it. Thats one of the problems with rural fire agencies..they take time to get there. Sometimes enough time that all you can do is take the report and wet down the grounds.

I have a considerable amount of loaded ammo, but its stored in "rupturing" containment and the powders are in an area where all they will do is simply burn. I have a couple loaded firearms on hand..but they are stored in places that if they ever do go off via heat...they will discharge in a safe direction, usually straight down.

Ive burned extensive amounts of ammunition and components over the years and generally it pops and bangs, but the bullets are generally within a foot or two of the center of the fire and the cases and primers are a few feet to a couple yards away. And some of that was burning blanks..where the powder is actually a fairly high order explosive, rather than a propellent.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

No pistol found in the second one. Just a cooked off round. The shrapnel was exterior to the garage that was on fire. The "storage locker" the owner used failed.

Man it is hard to write what happens without revealing much. ( privacy laws are a PIA sometimes)

Reply to
Steve W.

We get them a lot these days. Lot's of magnesium alloys being used on vehicles now. Nothing like watching the fire turn white hot when you hit it with water. Then you have the batteries in the hybrids, I'm hoping that those all pass through the district without incident...

Reply to
Steve W.