Recomendation for book on Industrial Maintenance

I talked my boss into investing in a book or two as a reference for all the various things we run into at the weld shop I work at. I have Olivers "Basic Industrial Electricity" and that seems like a good choice. I'm just looking for more suggestions as this is the only general book on the subject I have ever seen. I already have several in depth books on things like hydraulics and electrical troubleshooting. This is just to keep at the job We have rolls, saw, iron worker, shear, welders, paint dept, pumps, forktrucks and all the usual other things to give me headaches. I'm hoping this will postpone the day they realize I don't know what I'm doing and I can still get that check for a few more weeks. Rosco

Reply to
Butter

Rosco,

I think, just by your attempts at gaining knowledge, you are likely miles a head of your competition.

Anything that gives you fits can be learned by going to the library, searching the web for info and asking questions on usenet.

Did you take highschool physics? A good mind and an understanding of the basics of physics goes a long way in understanding what is happening / has happened.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

I live in the country and going to the library is something i can only do on the weekend. Plus these small town libraries seem to put all their resources into hiring people to stand around all day instead of getting books. I do my homework on internet every night. I wanted a book as a reference for the times I need to know something right now. I took physics and found geometry has helped more than anything in my working life. I spent over 10 years as a machinist. Having had a lot of jobs has helped expose me to a lot of different things. rosco

Reply to
Butter

Sir, I salute you!

I buy quite a few used books at amazon.com . The shipping and handling is often more than the price of the book(s). So far I have not been disappointed by any used books bought this way.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Thats where I get them also. I especially like their giving me $30 to get one of their credit cards. Try Powel books too. I also almost never buy new and get great deals at both places with some patience.

Reply to
Butter

No single book, or set of books, will cover all of the situations you find yourself in as a maintenance man.

What you need to do is to find yourself a "mentor". Someone who can guide you in the right direction. Sometimes answering questions and other times suggesting areas to explore for answers. Perhaps a retired engineer?

Reply to
Camperken

Recently retired millwright. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

I agree that there is no one book, or set of books. Asking more specific questions in this news group will quite often point you in the right direction though. I have a pretty decent library, but I'm still finding more books that are worth adding to it on a regular basis :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Indeed. However..all machines use the same basic fundimentals. Electical..relays, switches, PLCs, Hydraulics, solenoids..same with pneumatics and so forth. Mechanical leverage and so forth.

Trouble shooting..thats something you develop over years and every day or so, something will kick your ass..but you learn from it and sooner or later the lesson you learned will be applicable on some other machine.

Hell..Ive been a tech for 20+ yrs in different industries and things still kick my butt..but only once in the last 10 yrs, did I fail to fix it. Sometimes..it may take a while..the machine I walked away from, I had 27 hours of trying to make it run right, every time. I finally gave up. And admitted I didnt know enough. But I learned a bunch of what the problem wasnt.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner