Recount day

"I asked Dalai Lama the most important question that I think you could ask - if he had ever seen Caddyshack." -- Jesse Ventura

He was a card, all right. I've looked askance at Minnesotans ever since. I mean, does the cold drive them a little mad in the winter, or what?

Dunno. "If you were to come to Minnesota, I could have you locked up like that. That's power." -- Jesse Ventura.

You'd have to ask what the other clowns think about it. When you see them shoot a gun, a flower usually pops out of the muzzle.

Jesse did seem to have a reasonable view about guns: "When the Constitution gave us the right to bear arms, it also made us responsible for using them properly. It's not fair of us as citizens to lean more heavily on one side of that equation than on the other."

I'll go with that, and I've seen Caddyshack.

Ouch. They ysed to send us books like that to review at _AM_. Prices were in the hundreds then, rather than thousands, but it gave you a new sense of the value of information.

I got the bill for four of my son's textbooks a few weeks ago. Slightly over $500.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

----------- While spoken in jest, we should all recognize that Gov. Ventura did a very credible job. While there were some controversial moments in his administration, these all appear to be the result of an off-the-cuff remark that was blown out of all proportion by an antagonistic elitist press. No ethics or criminal violations were even alleged.

Gov. Ventura and Gov. Schwarzenegger, with Gov. Reagan before them, reinforces my belief that success in electorial office is not reserved for a tiny self-perpetuating self-selecting elite, but all that is required for success is common sense, reasonable intelligence, a reasonably good education including considerable history, average personal honesty/ethics, and the desire to improve your particular corner of the world.

Their wide exposure to adults and adult activities other than politics also seems to be a real plus. Their success in politics indicates that politics/goverance is far more "show biz" than science than anyone wants to admit.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

I'll withhold my deeper opinion for another day, or hopefully for never, but I don't agree with much of the popular mythology about Jesse Ventura. He's a pragmatic guy who had both the freedom and the limitation of being a third-party governor with no base of legislative support. That gave him the opportunity to just cut loose with opinions and ideas, with no hope that anything would come of the ones that weren't already part of big-issue politics.

In that position he could shoot the ducks in a barrel, of which there always are many in political life. He's remarkable because he didn't crash and burn, given his background and his third-party status. Beyond that, there is nothing like a program, or profound or consequential leadership, that can be attributed to him. He was a good fix-it man for small things.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No ethical or criminal violations but Jesse left a real mess behind him. The guy had never run anything bigger than a lemonade stand and it showed.

I wouldn't exclude those two from the class you describe. Both were political heavy weights long before public office.

You have confused getting elected with governance George. Ronnie and Ahnald had both. Ventura had the getting elected part down but that was all. He's never done anything exceptional beyond his play acting career.

Tsk, Tsk.

Reply to
Dick 'Tater

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 12:22:22 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

A _little_ mad?!?

Dittoes, dude.

Yeah, but if you'd shopped the school store, you might have gotten used but pristine books for half or less that price. School books are outrageous.

I found a 1978 Bell Labs copy of Kernighan and Ritchie's book last week for $2 and snagged it. It's never too late to learn C, wot? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:18:56 -0600, the infamous F. George McDuffee scrawled the following:

--major snippage--

He wasn't politically correct and it landed him in hot water time after time. That's alright with me. How many Irishmen would be even slightly offended by his one comment?

A Freakin' Men.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 14:41:05 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Given his third-party status, did you expect anything more? The two corrupt parties control everything that happens. You rubbed my nose in that earlier this and last year and I soon saw that it was true.

If he'd tried to come back for a second term, I imagine he'd have received the same (death, or worse) threats made against Perot and his family the second time around. Our politics make me ashamed that they're a part of my country. Feh!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That *was* the school store. Unfortunately, all but one were only available new. That's one advantage of a large university. My son's is smaller than my high school.

I still re-read my old "Learn C in 24 Hours" maybe once every two or three years. I haven't written a C program in at least 15 years. I just hate to lose it. Don't ask me why.

I re-read a book on SU carburettors recently, too. d8-)

I have some books I'm going to sell soon, and I'll need some advice. I've never done anything on ebay and most of these books should go to people here on RCM. I have original Colvin and Stanleys, etc.; mostly stuff from the '20s and '30s.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It takes time and long-term deal-making to make anything significant happen. That's one reason that third parties can only be place-holders, at most.

He didn't run because the press was treating him and his family like sideshow freaks, and he didn't like what it was doing to his family.

I'm surprised, though, that a pro wrestler wouldn't want to be treated like a sideshow freak. That's their entire life.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I wonder if those same textbooks are sold in Great Brittan. I read somewhere that price for textbooks sold in other countries is much lower.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I think that was prescription drugs Wes.

Reply to
Dick 'Tater

I liked it when some group wanted a tax surplus used to build a stadium and Jesse said, tell you what, I'll send the refund out to the people of Minnesota but if they send it back, I'll put it in an account for your project.

Something like that.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

But that is a freak with fans.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Those also.

Reply to
Wes

Quick google to make sure I haven't gone senile yet.

Wes

I don't know. It was a calc book, two econ books, and a stat book.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah, that was a good one. He was basically a mild libertarian.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:50:04 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Yeah, but then they'd be in that strange language, English, instead of American.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:24:37 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress" scrawled the following:

Whatever you do, don't look it up. It'd crush you. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--------------- School texts, like most other things, are available at steep discounts if you search the web [and have a few days].

google on for > 46k sites.

as a sample see

?gclid=CK_27r3FipcCFRyenAod3A0X-w School texts [el-hi and college] are a huge rip-off. With the exception of a few technical areas, how much change can there be in most fields to justify a new text every few years? And why do we need so many on the same grade level topic/subject?