Should I leave a negative feedback?

I am not sure whether I as a buyer should leave negative feedback to this ebay seller.

I won a hobart cybertig foot pedal from him.

In addition, he offered a "brand new" Victor regulator.

I agreed and paid $30 extra (added to my payment) via paypal.

I received a box with the pedal and the regulator. The regulator was old, beaten up and leaking air.

I sent him an email about it. He offered to exchange it or return it. I decided to ask for a return and refund of the regulator. After all, I bought it described as brand new and it was not.

After that the seller went silent and ignored several emails.

Luckily, in my paypal payment I was very clear about the brand new regulator that I added, so after waiting for about a week and several emails, I filed a paypal dispute.

I them quickly received an angry email from him saying that I was "pulling paypal crap on him" and he demanded that I cancel the dispute and he will then return the regulator.

I declined to cancel the dispute. We agreed that I meet his wife who attends a local church and exchange the regulator for cash. On the agreed day, the church was closed. I received email with apologies and offered to meet her on some other day.

He went silent again. The paypal dispute expired and I was refunded my $30. I wrote to the seller offering to give this regulator to his wife, but in a few days heard nothing.

So, on the one hand, I was made whole, although not by him. By the way, it was my first paypal dispute ever. Onthe other hand, I do not like the way he acted.

So, does he deserve a negative feedback? He always had excuses, and possibly they were true excuses.

Ignoramus22022

Always having excuses, and never going the extra mile after the first one or two, is a sign that he's better at making excuses than making good.

Folks who I've supervised have taught me that if you have to sit there seriously wondering if it's you or them means -- it's them. Sometimes I need the lesson repeated, and there's always someone new to re-teach it.

I'd go for the negative feedback.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not he will leave retaliatory negative feedback for you and whether you'd care. I think there's a good chance he'd leave a negative.

I'd not leave feedback. You got what you wanted out of the deal, even if it took some extra hassle. Probably by doing the dispute and winning, you've effectively left negative feedback at Paypal, for what that's worth.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I do not care, I buy from one account and sell from another account.

That goes somewhat along the lines of my own thinking.

On the other hand, if my friend asked me whether he should buy from that guy, I would say no. Wouldn't this mean that I should make this opinion known?

Ignoramus22022

Ignoramus22022 wrote On 11/23/05 14:26,:

Go ahead and negative him, but your far better tool is going to be that Paypal insurance. His getting kicked off Paypal for this nonsense is going to hurt him far more than negative feedback.

I once bought a large machine at good price from a seller that had very bad feedback ("does not answer email"). I made a point of going to see the machine.

Turned out the seller just didn't know how to use email. He was probally the nicest guy I ever met via ebay.

Reply to
Scott Moore

I would leave him negative feedback. But the first time this happened to me, I didn't. It was a very similar situation; an item advertised as being "very nice" and "in good working order" was actually very beat up. I had trouble contacting the seller. It took a couple of weeks for them to reply to my first e-mail. After a couple of months they agreed to a partial refund, which they said they'd post to me on their return from a business trip. This was just before the 90 day feedback period was up. I was too trusting and didn't leave negative feedback, and never heard from them again. There seems to be little point to the 90 day limit on leaving feedback, as it encourages sellers to delay sorting out disputes, but that's an aside. The one time someone bought an item from me and complained, I did my best to sort it out immediately. It turned out that I hadn't noticed that the main motor was missing from a movie projector I sold. We negotiated a 50% refund, he bought a motor from elsewhere, and we were both happy. If the seller is full of excuses and rude, leave him negative feedback. He may well be trying to stall until the 90 day period is up.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Well, I am not sure if he would get kicked off paypal. Like I said, I received my refund. I even have his flowmeter, which I have no need for and I told him that I can pass it to his wife.

When you buy in person, many things are a lot safer...

Ignoramus22022

Yes, I remember your story. In my case, paypal protected me. It was my first paypal dispute against a seller.

Not to appear to be moralizing, but I sold something to someone (a DC motor) where the permanent magnet broke in shipping. I agreed to him returning the stuff and refunded him 100%. I would not dream of acting like that seller who sold me the flowmeter. My 100% rating is not because I am a perfect seller, it is because I correct my screwups.

Ignoramus22022

The 50% refund was his choice. I asked him if he'd like to return it for a 100% refund including all postage, or negotiate a partial refund. He said he'd prefer to keep the projector and fix it.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

He's guilty of lying, repeatedly!

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yes, good deal for all of you. I was moralizing with respect to my seller, not you. If you offer a 100% refund, you are clean.

Ignoramus22022

Filing the Paypal dispute was the right thing to do. If you leave him negative feedback right now, I'm sure he'll leave you one in return. Wait

89 days or so, then give him a negative.
Reply to
AL

(gesture - thumb down)

He advertised a NEW regulator and send a POS. He had more than one way to go to make it good, and didn't.

Sure, you could have done more. You could have returned all the merchandise and let him keep your money. I bet that would have made him happy.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Only if you consider the body of ebay buyers as "your friend" (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

What excuse could he possibly have for offering you a new regulator and shipping you a used one? Unless proven otherwise, this is certainly someone you don't want to ever deal with again.

As for the negative feedback; it sounds like you made some kind of a side deal on the regulator that was not really part of the actual E-Bay transaction? Or did I get that part wrong?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

I don't think you can leave negative feedback, because the regulator had NOTHING to do with the eBay auction. You certainly were right to dispute the PayPal charge, as that was part of the PayPal transaction. (Or, was the regulator mentioned on the eBay listing, but not part of the item bidding? If so, that is still not really part of the eBay auction.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The deal for the regulator was outside of the ebay auction. It is a separate deal, which by the way is against ebay rules for buyers and sellers. Any negative feedback could be incriminating yourself.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray

Forgot to say. The item that the ebay transaction was about, the foot pedal, is just fine (although I needed a different amphenol connector).

So, then, it is not clear whether it is right to use an off ebay transaction as the basis for feedback on the ebay transaction.

Ignoramus22022

I would still leave negative, or at the very best neutral feedback. The guy should behave in a decent way on or off eBay. In my opinion, this is a technicality. The guy tried to con you with a POS.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

You are fully right.